• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Rabbit Hutches...

:shock::shock:... I am SOO glad I have a whole room for my bunnies... all these figures are making my head hurt.. I DO think the OP was trying to be helpful though, but has been educated now even though it may have come across a bit savage:shock:

Yes, poor OP, didn't mean to offend.

You say 'We' so are you a member of the RSPCA staff then and are you speaking as in interested party, committee member or as a guideline maker?

Thats a statement from an RSPCA website nothing to do with me..........

apologies everything below the following statment is from an RSPCa website i will correct my original post if i can

You are not taking into account double hutches...................which comply........ill fetch the ketchup for you for that hat.

FROM RSPCA website

The RSPCA has been campaigning for a better standard of living for small animals.

Hutches and runs are the most important part of this. We have guidelines regarding rabbit and guinea pig accommodation.

As far as we are concerned the BIGGER the BETTER!! Converted sheds are great!

Rabbit Hutches (L x W x H)

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

I DO think the OP was trying to be helpful though, but has been educated now even though it may have come across a bit savage:shock:

:lol: Exactly...I can't help what the site is called but as I said in my first post "might be of use to someone"...not necessarily rabbit owners :roll:

Me too and my new hutches are 7ft x 3ft x 2 1/2 ft tall on each storey. I find them much easier to use, great to put big litter trays in, lots of room to hop around and not just up and down, room to sit on a stool and still stand up and good if you have humans round to stay that can sleep in one too.:lol:

Best bit is that they are flat packed and made to order.

Where do you get them from?

I just ordered a three storey 7ftx2ft hutch from Ryedale for Pixie and her boyfriend (when I can think about getting her one :oops:). I wish I'd asked for it to be 3ft wide, but money stopped me. :roll: Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to have a shed/playhouse in my garden (rented) so a hutch was the only choice. It comes on Sunday, and I can't wait! (I fit in the nest box :lol:)

Nice hutch.

I am considering a 3 storey 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, wasn't too sure if it would be toooo big, IE top heavy something like that you will have to let me know.

I get mine locally to where i live as they come with a fibreglass roof, which means its maintenance free in that respect.

But those hutches are good.

:lol: Exactly...I can't help what the site is called but as I said in my first post "might be of use to someone"...not necessarily rabbit owners :roll:

Hi Lisa.

Thank you for posting this - very useful to know that this was in the Pet Plan magazine. Was it an advertisement or a feature?

Hi Lisa.

Thank you for posting this - very useful to know that this was in the Pet Plan magazine. Was it an advertisement or a feature?

It was on page 47 of the Spring 2010 edition and it was a page titled "Treats From PetPlan"...have posted a picture below...:)

PICT1096.jpg

PICT1097.jpg

It was on page 47 of the Spring 2010 edition and it was a page titled "Treats From PetPlan"...have posted a picture below...:)

PICT1096.jpg

PICT1097.jpg

Excellent, thank you for that. Interesting that an insurance provider promotes a supplier that sells hutches of that size.

May I say as I saw Chesterfield Rspca mentioned that their permanent set-ups for rabbits are horrible, horrible, horrible. The centre is desperately in need of updating but their small animal knowledge is utterly appalling - I could mention several experiences which would illustrate this point if necessary. :?

So please don't use their homing policy to illustrate sound rabbit care as they don't have a clue....... :(

I honestly cannot understand why anyone would argue (for whatever reason) the toss when it comes to measurements. Anyone who has rabbits and watches them binkying about in a decent amount of space *knows* that keeping them in anything less than the usual quoted single storey 6x2x2 or double storey 5x2x2 is very unfair. My guinea pigs have almost a 6x2x2 cage and I intend to enlarge it to give them more space....

I'd like to just point out that small animal cages are also often horrendously small and there must be hundreds of rats, hamsters and mice out there as well as rabbits living a miserable existence because their owner saw a 'suitably labelled' cage and bought it for them. I feel very passionate about accommodation for animals as they generally spend most of their lives in it and I feel we owe it to them to give them the maximum amount of space we can not the bare minimum. :)

Yes she never said rabbit owners this is getting confusing. I dont know numbers and all that but i was always told 6ftx2ftx2ft, and i am trying to follow that and like everone else says 3 ft is too samll too live in BUT if you had a 3 ft hutch in a lalrge shed and the door was always open then it wouldnt be a problem becaus ethat would only be a bed area!

My refusal was about useable space for the buns involved. In fact 4x3x2 double is along the same lines as some wendy houses so the actual total space sounds okay and works for some set ups. This is what I mean about having a useable standard so that everybody can understand it.

As far as my example is concerned I wanted to see an attached run so just having a 4x3x2 hutch and no attached run doesn't work for me. I can see how it can work provided that there is enough attached outside space too that is all weather.

In fact I think that a deeper hutch can be better in some cases than one that is just long - the buns can lay in whichever direction they choose then.

I hope you didn't think I was being rude or critical. I wanted to understand what is right as many people as me for advice and I wanted to make sure I was giving the right info. Thanks for clarification :D

In fact I think that a deeper hutch can be better in some cases than one that is just long - the buns can lay in whichever direction they choose then.

We have quite a few 4ft x 3ft x 2ft hutches along with the more regular 6ft x 2ft ones and although they have same floor space, I actually prefer the 4ft ones, for some reason the extra depth makes them seem bigger and there is more space for toys etc :)

We have quite a few 4ft x 3ft x 2ft hutches along with the more regular 6ft x 2ft ones and although they have same floor space, I actually prefer the 4ft ones, for some reason the extra depth makes them seem bigger and there is more space for toys etc :)

Yeah, I just got a double decker 6ft x 2ft and I'm a bit disappointed thought I would have more space! maybe 6ft x 3ft is the way forward :)

Back