• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Rabbit Hutches...

But all of these sellers have at least one 6ftx2ft hutch. This place doesn't even have the option of a 6ft hutch, and most of them aren't 2ft deep.
It's just making people think that there is nothing bigger, so it must be ok! :evil: How can you put this place in a league with Forsham Cottage, Kernow Pet housing and Ryedale hutches.

....there's NO comparison! If more sellers sold bigger hutches, then sooner or later the smaller ones would become obsolete! It's about educating people! I was talking to the guy from Ryedale and he was saying how many people went for his larger hutches (6 or 7ft ones) over the smaller ones, because there is a choice of them!! :roll:

Im not arguing that, but people have said that nothing complies, and if you read the RSPCA guideline i posted a 5ft hutch x 2ft x 2ft 6 is enough for 2 rabbits. Im not even stating as per my comment that i would buy these hutches, but AGAIN i state you cannot say that nothing they sell complies with the RSPCA when it clearly states on RSPCA websites around the country that they do.

Im not arguing that, but people have said that nothing complies, and if you read the RSPCA guideline i posted a 5ft hutch x 2ft x 2ft 6 is enough for 2 rabbits. Im not even stating as per my comment that i would buy these hutches, but AGAIN i state you cannot say that nothing they sell complies with the RSPCA when it clearly states on RSPCA websites around the country that they do.

There isn't even a 5ft x2ft hutch (although I believe that they want 5ft hutches to be doubles.

Nothing there does comply!!! Nothing.

If you can link what does then I'll happily eat my hat!! :roll:

There isn't even a 5ft x2ft hutch (although I believe that they want 5ft hutches to be doubles.

Yep, we rehome to 6x2x2 single storey or 5x2x2 double storey. Not that I am associated with the RSPCA as a rescue.

I think that the RSPCA has to look at standardising their requirements properly as I know someone who was homechecked by them and passed who had a 4x3x2 double - she wanted to adopt another rabbit from me and I had to say no. It seems to depend on which branch they go to.

In any event, it's not just the RSPCA that counts here - they are just one agency - the PDSA is just as important and so is the RWA. As a campaign, Make Mine Chocolate! would also not accept any of these hutches as correct for bunnies.

It's very easy to state that nothing complies, when nothing does comply with the recommendations. No hutch on Just Hutches website is larger than L5ftx W1ft10x H1ft7.

I think one of the main points is that SO many are undersized which to me just encourages irresponsible pet care. Many rabbits will spend their lives in those hutches with only the odd run about, many rabbits will not get the addition of a run.

So a company that provides a choice of hutches and runs that meet the requirements or excel them can be seen as more reputable and responsible - in my eyes at least.

I go to a retail park sometimes on my lunch break from work and there are at least two different shops selling hutches like these out the front of their shops and selling them as though they are IDEAL for rabbits!!! :shock:

It's 6ft long, by about 3ft I think. Most rescue's won't rehome to this hutch, as it's living area is so small.

Can you imagine a Frenchie or a Conti in ANY of those hutches? :?

I'm not saying they're what I'd personally choose, just that people are being extremely critical in rather a rude way of someone who was just trying to make a helpful suggestion.

I don't think any of those hutches as listed as suitable for giants, are they? That's like criticizing a hamster cage because a guinea pig won't fit in it.

My two nethie crosses are in a coop style hutch at the moment where the hutch is only 4x3, the run is 6x3 and another 6x3 run is attached and they spend all their time down in the run so I don't think the fact the living area is small is really enough of a justification to say it's an unsuitable hutch. even if it were bigger they wouldn't spend their time up there.

Yep, we rehome to 6x2x2 single storey or 5x2x2 double storey. Not that I am associated with the RSPCA as a rescue.

I think that the RSPCA has to look at standardising their requirements properly as I know someone who was homechecked by them and passed who had a 4x3x2 double - she wanted to adopt another rabbit from me and I had to say no. It seems to depend on which branch they go to..

I'm not being critical or questioning you homing policy but I would like to understand. In terms of floor area 4x3x2 double =24sq ft where as 6x2x2 single = 12sq ft Obviously being 6ft long then a bun can get more hops in.

I do agree that the hutches on this site are too small and I would not put my buns in them.

heres a link to an RSPCA website and as you say for 2 rabbits 5ft, but for 1 rabbit 4ft, and there are several 4ft double hutches,

http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk/rabbit_adoption_information.htm

Now im guessing people are struggling here converting cm into ft

Trixie Natura Double Rabbit / Guinea Pig Hutch 116x111x65cm

the above is a double hutch. and 65cm depth is over 2ft and a ramp down to it.

and this site which im sure you wont agree with but you will need to speak to someone if you dont even advertises that the RSPCA guidelines are met.

http://www.cumfypets.co.uk/4ft-x-2f...-run-locking-ladder-with-free-cover-184-p.asp

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're what I'd personally choose, just that people are being extremely critical in rather a rude way of someone who was just trying to make a helpful suggestion.

I don't think any of those hutches as listed as suitable for giants, are they? That's like criticizing a hamster cage because a guinea pig won't fit in it.

My two nethie crosses are in a coop style hutch at the moment where the hutch is only 4x3, the run is 6x3 and another 6x3 run is attached and they spend all their time down in the run so I don't think the fact the living area is small is really enough of a justification to say it's an unsuitable hutch. even if it were bigger they wouldn't spend their time up there.

well said, i wish i was so eloquent (hopes ive spelt it right)

My two nethie crosses are in a coop style hutch at the moment where the hutch is only 4x3, the run is 6x3 and another 6x3 run is attached and they spend all their time down in the run so I don't think the fact the living area is small is really enough of a justification to say it's an unsuitable hutch. even if it were bigger they wouldn't spend their time up there.[/QUOTE]

Hey :wave: I think for me its more the fact that many people wouldnt think to attach a run, and another run. Someone I know for instance just had their bun in a 3ft hutch, that was 3ft from the ground. So the only exercise bun got was when someone let them out for a run around.

I agree the OP was just trying to be helpful.

heres a link to an RSPCA website and as you say for 2 rabbits 5ft, but for 1 rabbit 4ft, and there are several 4ft double hutches,

http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk/rabbit_adoption_information.htm

Now im guessing people are struggling here converting cm into ft

Trixie Natura Double Rabbit / Guinea Pig Hutch 116x111x65cm

the above is a double hutch. and 65cm depth is over 2ft and a ramp down to it.

and this site which im sure you wont agree with but you will need to speak to someone if you dont even advertises that the RSPCA guidelines are met.

http://www.cumfypets.co.uk/4ft-x-2f...-run-locking-ladder-with-free-cover-184-p.asp

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf :wave:

You are not taking into account double hutches...................which comply........ill fetch the ketchup for you for that hat.

Edited here to not confuse: from RSPCA website

The RSPCA has been campaigning for a better standard of living for small animals.

Hutches and runs are the most important part of this. We have guidelines regarding rabbit and guinea pig accommodation.

As far as we are concerned the BIGGER the BETTER!! Converted sheds are great!

Rabbit Hutches (L x W x H)

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

Last edited:
I'm not being critical or questioning you homing policy but I would like to understand. In terms of floor area 4x3x2 double =24sq ft where as 6x2x2 single = 12sq ft Obviously being 6ft long then a bun can get more hops in.

I do agree that the hutches on this site are too small and I would not put my buns in them.

My refusal was about useable space for the buns involved. In fact 4x3x2 double is along the same lines as some wendy houses so the actual total space sounds okay and works for some set ups. This is what I mean about having a useable standard so that everybody can understand it.

As far as my example is concerned I wanted to see an attached run so just having a 4x3x2 hutch and no attached run doesn't work for me. I can see how it can work provided that there is enough attached outside space too that is all weather.

In fact I think that a deeper hutch can be better in some cases than one that is just long - the buns can lay in whichever direction they choose then.

Well....I give up.

I honestly find it abhorrent that people are ok with them selling those hutches, and nothing but those hutches. :roll: Double hutches don't make up for the lost space. Poor buns, is all I can say. :?

My refusal was about useable space for the buns involved. In fact 4x3x2 double is along the same lines as some wendy houses so the actual total space sounds okay and works for some set ups. This is what I mean about having a useable standard so that everybody can understand it.

As far as my example is concerned I wanted to see an attached run so just having a 4x3x2 hutch and no attached run doesn't work for me. I can see how it can work provided that there is enough attached outside space too that is all weather.

In fact I think that a deeper hutch can be better in some cases than one that is just long - the buns can lay in whichever direction they choose then.

I'd be a happy bunny if more people made 3ft wide hutches!!

You are not taking into account double hutches...................which comply........ill fetch the ketchup for you for that hat.

The RSPCA has been campaigning for a better standard of living for small animals.

Hutches and runs are the most important part of this. We have guidelines regarding rabbit and guinea pig accommodation.

As far as we are concerned the BIGGER the BETTER!!
Converted sheds are great!

Rabbit Hutches (L x W x H)

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

You say 'We' so are you a member of the RSPCA staff then and are you speaking as in interested party, committee member or as a guideline maker?

:shock::shock:... I am SOO glad I have a whole room for my bunnies... all these figures are making my head hurt.. I DO think the OP was trying to be helpful though, but has been educated now even though it may have come across a bit savage:shock:

I'd be a happy bunny if more people made 3ft wide hutches!!

Me too and my new hutches are 7ft x 3ft x 2 1/2 ft tall on each storey. I find them much easier to use, great to put big litter trays in, lots of room to hop around and not just up and down, room to sit on a stool and still stand up and good if you have humans round to stay that can sleep in one too.:lol:

Best bit is that they are flat packed and made to order.

Back