• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been into a local pet shop

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
to look at plants/ornaments for my newly set-up fish tank. Whilst there I had a look at the bunnies. There were 3; 1 on its own and 2 together but they could see/smell each other as the pen was simply divided with chicken wire.

What narked me was they had very little hay, if any. I asked about what I'd gone in for and then said "may I respectfully point out that your rabbits are desperately short of hay". She nodded and said "they've had some hay today." So I said "you do realise that rabbits are supposed to have 24 hour access to hay?" She said yes and added "they get hay in a morning and hay at night". So I said "they're supposed to have it 24 hours a day". And she just nodded as though to say "and?!"

Poor bunnies, the one didn't look in particularly good condition either; looked a bit thin around the hips.

:censored:

I won't be going in there again.

Any suggestions about reporting them maybe? She agreed they should have hay 24/7 but they don't.

I'd like to report them to the relevant bodies but don't know where to start.

No, I didn't take any pictures.

I took an instant dislike to the woman to be honest, not over the rabbits particularly but I just didn't like her. She was a bit "it's my shop I can do what I want" type of attitude.

I dread to think of the person she sells them to. Hopefully they will have done research etc and they'll end up in a happy home. It tainted my little shopping trip to be honest.

I'd try writing to the pet shop first; the woman might have been caught off guard and got on the defensive a little so she might be more receptive if it's not done in person.

There's a letter template here that you can add chop about to suit http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?74058-Let-Petshops-Know-What-You-Think! and I'd probably print off some stuff from the RWAF to go in with it to support what you're saying. I'm sure they have some leaflets with feeding guidelines.

You could report to the RSPCA and/or the local council as they issue the pet shop licence but, if they're being provided with food and water (even if it's not 24/7), then I'm not sure what they will be able to do. If they're in bad condition though, then they may be more willing to step in.

to look at plants/ornaments for my newly set-up fish tank. Whilst there I had a look at the bunnies. There were 3; 1 on its own and 2 together but they could see/smell each other as the pen was simply divided with chicken wire.

What narked me was they had very little hay, if any. I asked about what I'd gone in for and then said "may I respectfully point out that your rabbits are desperately short of hay". She nodded and said "they've had some hay today." So I said "you do realise that rabbits are supposed to have 24 hour access to hay?" She said yes and added "they get hay in a morning and hay at night". So I said "they're supposed to have it 24 hours a day". And she just nodded as though to say "and?!"

Poor bunnies, the one didn't look in particularly good condition either; looked a bit thin around the hips.

:censored:

I won't be going in there again.

Any suggestions about reporting them maybe? She agreed they should have hay 24/7 but they don't.

I'd like to report them to the relevant bodies but don't know where to start.

No, I didn't take any pictures.

I took an instant dislike to the woman to be honest, not over the rabbits particularly but I just didn't like her. She was a bit "it's my shop I can do what I want" type of attitude.

I dread to think of the person she sells them to. Hopefully they will have done research etc and they'll end up in a happy home. It tainted my little shopping trip to be honest.

You might find the following thread of assistance if you decide to report the matter to the local council.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?94160-Reporting-Cruelty-Neglect-or-Bad-Pet-Shop-Conditions

Back