• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a quickie - litter retraining

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi all.

this is just a quickie as I know there are hundreds of litter training posts on here - i did a search but it came up with nearly every post evern mentioned i think!

Anyway - Elvis litter trained virtually straight away when we had him at the beginning of the year and has been golden but over the past two months or so he has 'forgotten' where his litter tray is! He will wee in there if im near him but other than that he just wees on the carpet! Its always cleaned up straight away with white vinegar to neutralise the smell but it doesnt work! He is weeing everywhere in the hall (hes free range living in the hall)

Ive tried putting the tissue i used to mop up the wee into his litter tray to get the smell in there but nothing is working......do you think hes just going through an awkward stage????

:lol: :lol: I need advice too, as my bonded three have regressed, to be fair Kovu wasn't one for making use of his litter tray anyway.

BTW Sweetie I've locked them all up in a 48inch dog cage, I'm trying to limit their space when they start using the litter tray I will then give them more space, until they are free range (upstairs) again.

I had got to the point where ever where was covered in poo, it was taking me atleast an hour to hoover each night, something had to give and I'm afraid it was ther freedom. Hopefully they will catch on to the litter tray thing. I pop in evry few hours pick up the poos put them back in the litter tray. I'm hoping they will cotten on within the week.

Its bad enough coping with one untrained bun let alone three! How do you cope with it all Tree!!!!

I just wish I knew the reason why Elvis has suddenly decided to be a messy sod! Cant really confine him at the mo as only have the cage we got when we first had him and its a bit small now hes grown up plus would feel too guilty putting him in a cage after having him free range for the past four months. Thinking about getting him a pen/crate, maybe this would do the trick???

Also, he has a litter tray in the hall for the daytime when im out and then another one in the living room for when im home and he has the run of the flat.......do you think its confusing for him to have the two trays?

To be fair it shouldn't confuse him, my bonded four (downstairs) cope alright, apart from when I had a party on Saturday night and decided to to shut the four in another bedroom so they wouldn't get upset by the noise, they decided to scatter, it was everywhere including the bed, which I had made up for a guest.

I can not understand why yours would suddenly stop though, it's not as if you 've had another bunny and they've started to scatter.

I couldn't cope with the mess that's why they are having intense litter trainning, I'm not happy about locking them up, but they are bright bunnies and will catch on soon.

Obviously hes just playing me up then!!!!! He even weed on the sofa last night!

Its got to the stage now where i follow him in to the hall and stand over him to see what hes doing..... :lol: :lol: Any chance of a wee like stance and hes in the litter tray before he knows whats hit him!!!!!! Forgets it when i go back in the living room though......typical!

Think ill just have to exercise a lot of patience with him!

is he neutered, i know males like to sent things by weeing a dropping poos every were, hopefully for u tree kovu might stop pooing every were now he is neutered.
becky

Yeah, I thought that to be honest. That's why I've not pushed the litter trainning untill he was done.

Tree said:
:lol: :lol: I need advice too, as my bonded three have regressed, to be fair Kovu wasn't one for making use of his litter tray anyway.

BTW Sweetie I've locked them all up in a 48inch dog cage, I'm trying to limit their space when they start using the litter tray I will then give them more space, until they are free range (upstairs) again.

I had got to the point where ever where was covered in poo, it was taking me atleast an hour to hoover each night, something had to give and I'm afraid it was ther freedom. Hopefully they will catch on to the litter tray thing. I pop in evry few hours pick up the poos put them back in the litter tray. I'm hoping they will cotten on within the week.

Hi Tree,

I took your advice and Elvis is now temporarily back in his cage. And low and behold he started using his tray immediately! Typical :roll:

Do I leave him in there permanently or can he still have a run in the evenings?

Hi Sweetie,

I think I would probably start from scratch and place as many litter trays in the areas that he is weeing in until he gets used to it again :wink: then gradually remove the ones that he does'nt use as often :wink: :D Its a case of shovelling up the poo's and placing them back in the litter tray until he gets the message again :wink: :lol: :lol:

I read somewhere (cant remember where :roll: ) that the litter tray should have some of their smell still there after cleaning so they know it is their toilet :wink:

good luck

Hiya Sweetie, Denny gives good potty training tips there :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree that retraining by introducing lots of litter trays and then gradually removing the ones used less frequently, is a good move :)
You are basically covering all the floor (or hutch) space with litter trays, and when the bunny grasps the idea to use the trays, then you gradually expose more floor space in the knowledge the bunny will not use it for a toilet..that is the theory anyway :roll: in practice you must expect some accidents, and just reintroduce more trays each time things go pear (or poop :shock: ) shaped :lol: :lol:
Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks Both, i knew i could count on the forum to give the best advice!!!

Just wish I knew why he suddenly decided to untrain himself!! Hes a funny little ******!!! :lol: :lol:

His cage isnt all that big, (big enough for daytime and over night though) so can realistcally only fit one litter tray in there which he has been using since I put him in there last night! If this carries on for a few more days then should I use the spare two trays ive got and put them by his cage for when I increase his space? Hope to have a little run set up for him so he doesnt go mad running around the flat and forgetting his training again!!!!

Maybe getting him a full time run would help so hes only 'free range' when im in unlike before when he was completely free? (just an idea.....)

Me personally would not restrict him to his cage as being as he was free range before (no offence here Tree :wink: ) as he might be thinking he has done something wrong :wink: could you not restrict him to one room, preferably where his cage is so he can hop in and out when he likes :wink: :D spread the litter trays around the room and if he wee's in a certain place, put one of the litter trays there. It will be a case of constantly moving the litter trays around but he will eventually get the message :wink: :D

if you can block the door way off with a baby gate or (i got one second hand) a fire fire guard, and gradually, as he gets better you can start letting him go further afield in the house a bit at a time :wink: :D

hope that helps :)

Tree said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I.m not busty today but busy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I followed your advice Tree and I have to say that Elvis picked up the hint almost immediately after being put in his cage! Think the shock tactics worked!!!!! I need to increase his space though as the cage isnt really that big (it was the one we had for him when he was smaller).

But Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!

Im sure Elvis will be grateful in time too, although at the moment he keeps scowling at me!!! :shock: :lol:

Tree said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I.m not busty today but busy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have just nipped that slight boobie in the bud Tree...hope you dont mind?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back