• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jeez

I've just found something on free-ads that shocked me (I should know better). I'm aware of a small rescue that advertises on 'free ads site X' and they quite often have a few rabbits in as well as various other animals. I clicked to see all their adverts listed and they are looking for a stud for their Staffie :shock::shock::shock: They want to bring Staffie pups into this over-crowded world. Honestly, I'm speechless :shock: I just can't understand why you would rescue on the one hand and then ....:?

There's a few 'Rescues' who breed............ :roll:

I wonder if it would be a good idea to start a new thread on "Meaningless Excuses"?:roll:

• "My rabbit needs more attention than I can give her."
  • "No longer fits in with our lifestyle - after 3 months".

Etc, Etc.

None of these adverts ever states, "I did not think about it before we bought the rabbit, the children lost interest and we were never really bothered, etc, etc. Now we don't want to pay for a rescue to help the rabbit - might actually cost us money. So we thought we would come up with this conscience-salving sob story to cover up our rabbit dumping intentions. We don't really care if the rabbit goes as snake food, at least we've got rid of it".

My apologies in advance to those (few) people with "genuine" reasons for rehoming.:?

End of :censored :rant........

The one we often see in the local Scot-ads paper is-

12 week old puppy needing to be rehomed because we have to move because of our job- so they only found out about this less than a month ago, because they would have taken on said puppy at 8 weeks.:?

Ads like that appear all the time.

I believe that some people feed these kinds of dogs on rabbit - but I know nothing about dogs.

Rescue rabbits, breed dogs and feed them rabbit. Just wonderful!!!!:censored:

Hopefully not the same rabbits.

'Elsewhere' I read how someone keeps both 'Pet Rabbits' and also Rabbits to feed LIVE to her freakin' snake :shock:

:censored:

just a thought - isn't it better to rehome a pet if you've started to resent it, than to keep it hanging around and perhaps not give it proper care and attention? of course, they shouldn't have taken on a pet at all, but if they were uninformed or inexperienced they wouldn't know that. more control on the supply of living creatures is required.

the objection to 'i'm having a baby' as a reason for reorganising lifestyle just makes me laugh. no-one knows how they'll feel about this until they are pregnant, or even until they give birth. if pets are more important than your children, your priorities are wrong. i have two rabbits because my married daughter wanted rabbits, and didn't know if she'd be able to cope if she had animals in the house and a baby on the way. she checked i'd be able to take them if they were too much for her. not a problem. she still has her rabbits, no babies, and is perfectly happy - it seems unlikely she'd ever part with the bunnies but who knows how she'll feel later. i have two rabbits, too, because i didn't want to miss the baby-bunny stage and i didn't want to wait for years to have my little hoppers. i also have my mum's gerbil - she wanted him but also checked with me that i'd have him if she couldn't cope (she has health issues).

lots of people have pets 'at my mum's' or 'at my grandma's' or 'at my auntie's in her shed'. i had rabbits who lived with my dad, years ago - i'd have had them back, but he was convinced they loved him more than me!

i'm not supporting trade in pets. i really think there should be additional legislation - i'd want licences (sp?) that you couldn't get without an in-depth training course, before people could buy any pet. i'd have happily attended a course and bought a licence before i got my bunnies. rehoming would have to be done through rescues or an 'official' system. but, whatever the reason, if people are unable or unwilling to look after their animals, the animals need new homes and aren't going to be able to go out and find their own.

I believe feeding live food is illegal in Britain.

yes, but it is done im afraid,

as for excuses, my fave my child got bored, go figure, no doubt cant wipe its own **** properly and yet is responsible enough to look after an animal on its own, and parents moan because the child got bored heaven forbid :roll::censored:

There is a loophole in most legislation around the world that reptile keepers use and that is they believe the reptile would starve unless it had live food. I keep three rescued bluetongue skinks and they do get fed live snails and insects but never live mammals, simply because they do not need such to live healthy lives.

Jane's point that some snake keepers breed bunnies for food is sickenly true as it is too for mice and rats. I have real reservations about those who feed live, I believe some do it for the vicarious thrill. It should be noted too that many of the worst serial killers started out abusing animals. F.B.I. profilers when investigating what might be a serial killer now search suspects records for childhood animal abuse incidents!

Back