• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jack’s-Jane Never Existed 😳

No, as I understand it, you have got hold of the right end of the stick :LOL:

I'm left wondering whether this 'difference' in character formation is in fact limited to apostrophes. When you think about it, there's absolutely no reason why it should be.

Now wouldn't you have thought that some sensible person could have standarised these characters? It would seem to be a basic requirement. And Jane can't be the only one that has encountered problems like this. Our access to anything online is mostly restricted based on correct input of user name and password.

It would have to be me to be the one to highlight a problem. Let’s face it, there’s nowt about me that isn’t a problem 🙈🤣🤣

I'm left wondering whether this 'difference' in character formation is in fact limited to apostrophes. When you think about it, there's absolutely no reason why it should be.

Now wouldn't you have thought that some sensible person could have standardised these characters? It would seem to be a basic requirement. And Jane can't be the only one that has encountered problems like this. Our access to anything online is mostly restricted based on correct input of user name and password.
Yea but how many users names have an apostrophe in 😂 most are your email address now

Perhaps somehow the new forum just doesn't recognize the character in usernames? Kind of like how some password logins won't let you use certain characters when creating a password?

Just wondering. Tech is definitely not my Forte. 😒

It's nothing to do with the new forum, as it was a problem when Jane was trying to log in to the old one. It's just that her ipad doesn't have ' as an apostrophe but ` (I assume it's those two, anyway! Those are the two options on my keyboard).

The way around it would be to copy and paste the correct apostrophe, I would think.

Now wouldn't you have thought that some sensible person could have standardised these characters? It would seem to be a basic requirement. And Jane can't be the only one that has encountered problems like this. Our access to anything online is mostly restricted based on correct input of user name and password.
If this is true, it could be why passwords for entities that require a symbol and number have me resetting my password when I know it was correct since I use two different devices.
Years ago typewriters did not have numeric ones, so we used a lower case L. It took me time to break the habit when we changed to computer keyboards.

I haven’t got a device with any other type of apostrophe so we will never know ! 🤣

I don’t think it was the apostrophe that was the problem. The problem occurred prior to the forum software change and then I could include ‘Jack’s-Jane’ in a search and the search could be done. It is only now that it doesn’t work. Also, with the old software the log in problem messages were always ‘incorrect password’ rather than the message in the screenshot in my OP of this thread.

If that makes sense !

Last edited:
You can copy and paste your old name in, so you would be able to check that way. Then your old password, if you know it.

Back