• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive decided to reduce my numbers down to 4 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, if a rescue came on here and said a rabbit had been given up by a member of the public because they had taken on too many/didn't want to take on another partner for the rabbit, then *most* on here would be rolling their eyes and saying how irresponsible the person was!

No one HAS to take on more animals than they want or can care for, I am sure that a large percentage of us here have been offered unwanted pets over the years, I know I have. BUT, we can't help every animal in need. The answer is to say No.

Absolutely agree. I think there is just a complete lack of understanding on both sides. For those saying that circumstances change etc, I completely understand that and in some circumstances agree that rehoming a pet is the best route to take. However they are few and far between and simply saying 'I took on too much' just isn't a valid excuse, in my eyes.

Absolutely agree. I think there is just a complete lack of understanding on both sides. For those saying that circumstances change etc, I completely understand that and in some circumstances agree that rehoming a pet is the best route to take. However they are few and far between and simply saying 'I took on too much' just isn't a valid excuse, in my eyes.

People seems to be missing the 'I dont want Timmy to live alone' part and 'if Misty hadnt died I would not be rehoming him'. Has anyone even thought about the reasons why I felt I took on too much?? Did I feel like that at the time? No, but alots happened since. Things I am not willing to go into.

Jeez.

I certainly feel there is a lack of compassion here for someone who has been genuinely honest

You never know peoples personal circumstances. If for example my husband lost his job we could probably only keep going for a few months before we would be having to consider rehoming some animals. Then sometimes it's peoples mental or physical health that is a factor. I don't think anyone has the right to question or judge someone's decisions on their own pets welfare. Its not like moi has neglected or not cared for him so I certainly won't judge her xx

I would say you can't judge till you've walked in that persons shoes. It's very easy to be critical

Moi. I think you're doing the right thing for what it's worth,,, I hope you find the perfect home for little bun...
Xxxx

The story goes... I rescued Peggy and Tonic, then was asked if I could take in Benji who had just killed his brother (neither of them were neutered so you can imagine), I then took on bunny to pair up with Benji and that was gonna be it. Then I took on Timmy for a young girl who was to ill to care for him, and then got Misty. And then was asked to take on another bunny which was Buster, I tried to bond him into a trio, risky I know but it seemed to work. Until he ripped peggys lip in half and ripped off part of her chin :( I could have looked after him for the rest of his life, but he would have been lonely and I wasnt comfortable with trying to bond him with another of my buns again. He now has a amazing home with a lovely wife so Im so happy for him. Timmys partner died, if she hadnt have died I wouldnt even be thinking about rehoming, Id have said to myself 'moi your a twonk for taking on to much, but hey ho deal with it'. But as she has died and now Timmy is alone and I DONT want to keep going down the route of replacing bunnys when I now can see 6 is too much for me I think its best he goes to a home where he can have a wife again. Or I could keep him and let him live a life of singledom till he dies.
It sounds sensible to me. All my rabbits are older and I may have a break when they eventually pass so there may come a time when I am down to one. At that point I would put out feelers with people I know and trust to see if anyone else had an elderly bun in the same situation

I'll get flamed for this but I'm not bothered. This whole excuse of 'taking on too much' is becoming more and more common. YOU make the decision to take on these animals, they are YOUR responsibility. Until death, in my opinion. I don't understand why there is so much sympathy, how is it acceptable to think Oops silly me, took on too much so I'll just pass this poor living being onto someone else!? The mind boggles. It really does.

Ps This is not aimed at the OP in particular - it's aimed at everyone using this latest excuse.

There's another 'living being' involved though - the human being. Being human, we make mistakes. We take on too much. We make the wrong marriages or partnerships - should we stay with those 'living beings' for life, even though we know its wrong for us? We have to look after ourselves, or we won't be in fit condition to look after anyone else.

Well I am shocked at some of the responses on here, from people I thought better of. How dare you judge someone's decision? You have no idea what actually goes on behind the scenes. Not that is is :censored: all to do with anyone else, but I had a breakdown and I absolutely did the right thing. It's interesting seeing certain people's responses when they are certainly not whiter than white however they play it well.

Well said, Sally.

The point you are missing, the same point jack missed in his 'there's no excuse for not getting your rabbits from a rescue' thread a while ago, is that we don't need excuses. we do not live in a totalitarian state. we are free to make reasonable decisions to improve our own lifestyles, whether other people like them or not.

You never know peoples personal circumstances. If for example my husband lost his job we could probably only keep going for a few months before we would be having to consider rehoming some animals. Then sometimes it's peoples mental or physical health that is a factor. I don't think anyone has the right to question or judge someone's decisions on their own pets welfare. Its not like moi has neglected or not cared for him so I certainly won't judge her xx

Yes.

Last edited:
I prefer not to judge. I recently rehomed one of my cats, Moonbeam to my mum because he bullied one of our other cats, Fleur - it had got to the point where they couldn't be together at all and it was just not possible at all. We are taking it ok-ish because we know he's with mum where they'll care for him and we can still see him. If he'd gone to someone I didn't know we would not have taken it so well! Although it's still early days I just hope things don't go wrong there....

We never know people's circumstances really. Rehoming or losing one of my pets is my worst nightmare. I'd hate to make someone feel worse if they're already feeling awful for it.

We are all so different in so many ways......... and not a single one of us is perfect.....although we do our best to be.

Last year after my marriage breakdown, I had almost given up on finding somewhere suitable, location and price, to rent where they would allow my furry family to live. I was gearing up ready to have them re-homed. My heart was breaking ............. Stuff happens......if we like it, or not......

It is not a perfect world, and we aren't perfect either.

I for one, feel pretty certain that any of us who have or might have to give up our pets, would not do it lightly and without any heartbreak.

Take care moi. x

Last edited:
Well isn't RU a lovely place to be tonight :thumb:

I am both shocked and saddened at the lack of compassion and understanding here on this thread.

Actually, no. I'm not. This is RU :lol:

Are we not meant to be about welfare and care on this forum? Doing the best for your rabbits? Or have people conveniently forgotten that? Moi could keep Timmy as a single rabbit on his own outside with no bunny company for the rest of his years. That's doing the best for him, is it? That's not being selfish at all?

I cannot believe how narrow-minded people are to think that if something is yours, it's yours for life. So depriving your pet of what it needs - what it craves - in order to avoid re homing them is OK? Would it have been ok for me to keep my rabbit, Rosy Posy, as a single bunny for the next six years outside? No. It wouldn't. It would have been cruel and I can't believe for a moment that anyone would oppose that.

I'd be interested to hear how many of you that say it is wrong have actually rehomed a rabbit. It's not pleasant. In fact, it's almost traumatic. You feel like you've failed them. It's not something that should be taken on lightly, and it's not something that I'd want to repeat. Sometimes though you don't have a choice. I didn't, and it sounds like Moi doesn't either. Not unless she wants to condemn a rabbit to a life of misery for her own selfishness.

Can't quite believe what I'm reading. It amazes me that people think they have the right to criticise someone for doing the right thing. It really does.

Last edited:
The point you are missing, the same point jack missed in his 'there's no excuse for not getting your rabbits from a rescue' thread a while ago, is that we don't need excuses. we do not live in a totalitarian state. we are free to make reasonable decisions to improve our own lifestyles, whether other people like them or not.

Are animals not worth anything? Last time I checked they are not something you can throw away when you have a change in your lifestyle e.g new relationship etc. You don't get rid of your children when you want to change your lifestyle, so why should it be any different for animals? Sorry Moi this has no relevance to your thread.

Last edited:
Are animals not worth anything? Last time I checked they are not something you can throw away when you have a change in your lifestyle e.g new relationship etc. You don't get rid of your children when you want to change your lifestyle, so why should it be any different for animals? Sorry Moi this has no relevance to your thread.

Agreed, again. For those who keep mentioning that we 'have no right' or 'how dare we judge' - it's my opinion, to which I am wholly entitled. Jemimah, I don't quite understand what you are asking - I very much doubt anyone that is so opposed to rehoming, will have done so themselves. And at no point have I said that the rabbit in question should live alone. As Lily pointed out, what happens as the others die? Is the lonely soul left behind just rehomed then, too? And also, my thoughts on the matter are not aimed soley at Moi, but at everyone who thinks passing on your animals with no genuine extreme reason is acceptable, and there have been a few recently where pairs of rabbits have been rehomed. So that clears that little point up.

Those against don't seem to have read the full thred. And if they have they are choosing to ignore certain things. I admitted a mistake. I've taken buns from tiny homes and given them mansions. They have had the best care and had misty not died I WOULD NOT be looking to rehome him. I took on too much. Whoopdedo. No one ever taken on too much in there like? As for bringing children in to things there are people who put there kids up for adoption for a better life. And ones who live a life of utter rubbish when there parents can't cope. Did you also miss the part where I said timmy probably wouldn't even be alive if I hadn't taken him on and got his op and after care.

you are still missing the point. we do not have to do as you say. we can do things differently. fine if you want to do things your way, but I don't have to.

it's my opinion, to which I am wholly entitled.

very true. just as we are wholly entitled to disagree with it, and act accordingly.

you are still missing the point. we do not have to do as you say. we can do things differently. fine if you want to do things your way, but I don't have to.

very true. just as we are wholly entitled to disagree with it, and act accordingly.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion too, I never suggested otherwise? Nobody is saying that anyone has to do what anyone else says. I am voicing my opinion as you are voicing yours. :D

Agreed, again. For those who keep mentioning that we 'have no right' or 'how dare we judge' - it's my opinion, to which I am wholly entitled. Jemimah, I don't quite understand what you are asking - I very much doubt anyone that is so opposed to rehoming, will have done so themselves. And at no point have I said that the rabbit in question should live alone. As Lily pointed out, what happens as the others die? Is the lonely soul left behind just rehomed then, too? And also, my thoughts on the matter are not aimed soley at Moi, but at everyone who thinks passing on your animals with no genuine extreme reason is acceptable, and there have been a few recently where pairs of rabbits have been rehomed. So that clears that little point up.

What do you suggest for when a bun dies and you don't want to take anymore on? There will come a time in most people's life when they decide on having no more rabbits. Should they carry on with the cycle? If Timmy was old he wouldn't have been single for long before dying
But he's got a good few years left in him. Would you suggest he stays single? I'll just say again that had misty lived I would not be rehoming x

No you don't have to do as I say or what anybody else says. I am just voicing my opinion. I can't quite fathom some peoples attitudes towards animals but maybe it's just because I have morals.

No you don't have to do as I say or what anybody else says. I am just voicing my opinion. I can't quite fathom some peoples attitudes towards animals but maybe it's just because I have morals.

or maybe its because you're young and you haven't seen yet what life does to people. or perhaps you'll always hold that opinion, just as I maintain some views I had in my teenage years such as 'the time to decide against abortion is before you have sex' ie use contraception. there's no need to be nasty about it. 'just because I have morals' you say. so do i. they're different from yours.

Errr... She's rehoming, not killing the bunny!

I have to admit, I do get a bit worried when people on here take on a lot of pets over a short space of time, because it's not something I myself would feel comfortable doing and more often than not, people end in trouble and rehoming. I can see where people are coming from though, and how hard it must be to say no. Some people are able to, others aren't. And yes, sometimes too hard no matter what.

BUT, we only see a snapshot of peoples' lives on here, and frankly, I don't feel that it's my place to judge someone's decisions, or accuse them of lacking in morals.

Good luck moi.

Errr... She's rehoming, not killing the bunny!

I have to admit, I do get a bit worried when people on here take on a lot of pets over a short space of time, because it's not something I myself would feel comfortable doing and more often than not, people end in trouble and rehoming. I can see where people are coming from though, and how hard it must be to say no. Some people are able to, others aren't. And yes, sometimes too hard no matter what.

BUT, we only see a snapshot of peoples' lives on here, and frankly, I don't feel that it's my place to judge someone's decisions, or accuse them of lacking in morals.

Good luck moi.

thank you x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back