• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ive decided to reduce my numbers down to 4 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story goes... I rescued Peggy and Tonic, then was asked if I could take in Benji who had just killed his brother (neither of them were neutered so you can imagine), I then took on bunny to pair up with Benji and that was gonna be it. Then I took on Timmy for a young girl who was to ill to care for him, and then got Misty. And then was asked to take on another bunny which was Buster, I tried to bond him into a trio, risky I know but it seemed to work. Until he ripped peggys lip in half and ripped off part of her chin :( I could have looked after him for the rest of his life, but he would have been lonely and I wasnt comfortable with trying to bond him with another of my buns again. He now has a amazing home with a lovely wife so Im so happy for him. Timmys partner died, if she hadnt have died I wouldnt even be thinking about rehoming, Id have said to myself 'moi your a twonk for taking on to much, but hey ho deal with it'. But as she has died and now Timmy is alone and I DONT want to keep going down the route of replacing bunnys when I now can see 6 is too much for me I think its best he goes to a home where he can have a wife again. Or I could keep him and let him live a life of singledom till he dies.

I do believe you are making the right decision. I know I'd have had to rehome Shadowfax if she didn't bond with my other two and I know I'd struggle if ever one of them fell out. There's no way I could keep two groups of rabbits, I simply have no room or time for that so I can understand how things can go pear shaped.

We clearly aren't going to agree here as we have massively differing opinions. Life isn't black and white, you are right. But in this case, I think it absolutely is. Something is either your responsility for the duration of his or her life, or they aren't.

:thumb:

We clearly aren't going to agree here as we have massively differing opinions. Life isn't black and white, you are right. But in this case, I think it absolutely is. Something is either your responsility for the duration of his or her life, or they aren't.

Even if it means Timmy living alone for the rest of his life? I realised I took on too much but like I said I dealt with it. But then Misty died. Should I rehome another bun for Tims, then when another one dies rehome another, and when another dies rehome another. The cycle goes on and on x

Yes I agree and in this case the OP is deciding to rehome one Rabbit to insure he does not spend the rest of his life alone. Personally I see that as being responsible.

Even if it means Timmy living alone for the rest of his life? I realised I took on too much but like I said I dealt with it. But then Misty died. Should I rehome another bun for Tims, then when another one dies rehome another, and when another dies rehome another. The cycle goes on and on x

But you wouldn't have been in this cycle if you hadn't of took more on in the first place had you of stuck to only one pair.

TheBee, you say that an animal is an owner's responsibility for all of it's life. I agree with that sentiment. But actually, the way I see it, Moi giving Timmy an enhanced life by being with a female IS showing great responsibility.

If Moi hadn't put in her original post that she felt she had taken on too much, I wonder if the responses would have been the same. If she had just mentioned that she was thinking of a better life for Timmy and nothing else, then perhaps people wouldn't react the same way? After all, the 'too much' bit has already been sorted by her own admission :thumb:

So what happens when one from the other 2 pairs dies? rehome the single again?

Could you not have Timmy inside as a houserabbit?

Yes I agree and in this case the OP is deciding to rehome one Rabbit to insure he does not spend the rest of his life alone. Personally I see that as being responsible.

I agree with Jane here.

Part of being responsible for a living creature is being able to recognise when they would be better off living somewhere else - in this case, with the chance of having a bunny partner, rather than spending a life alone. It can be very hard to admit that you've taken on too much and, surely it's better to realise that and address the situation by rehoming responsibly, rather than just plodding along as you are for fear of criticism?

As I see it, moi isn't rehoming purely because it's convenient for her but because she knows that Timmy has the chance of a happier life elsewhere - not because he isn't currently being cared for adequately but because she isn't able to give him the companionship rabbits need.

But, if a rescue came on here and said a rabbit had been given up by a member of the public because they had taken on too many/didn't want to take on another partner for the rabbit, then *most* on here would be rolling their eyes and saying how irresponsible the person was!

No one HAS to take on more animals than they want or can care for, I am sure that a large percentage of us here have been offered unwanted pets over the years, I know I have. BUT, we can't help every animal in need. The answer is to say No.

But, if a rescue came on here and said a rabbit had been given up by a member of the public because they had taken on too many/didn't want to take on another partner for the rabbit, then *most* on here would be rolling their eyes and saying how irresponsible the person was!

No one HAS to take on more animals than they want or can care for, I am sure that a large percentage of us here have been offered unwanted pets over the years, I know I have. BUT, we can't help every animal in need. The answer is to say No.

Totally, 100%.

I'm 18 years old and a teenager yet I am able to refuse when I'm offered an animal. I know what my limits are and am sensible enough to stick to them.

Easier said than done sometimes. I speak as one who learned my lesson from making the mistake of thinking I could cope with 'just one more'. As a result I cant judge anyone else for their decisions. I may have been able to cope with the day to day care aspect, but financially I got myself into a desperate situation. I did not set out to be 'irresponsible' and I was lucky enough to have a very dear friend to help me sort things out. Had she not have done so I could well have been in a situation whereby I was having to rehome numerous Rabbits all at the same time.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes the phrase 'I now realise I took on too much' is saying just that. I thought I was helping but I now realise I am out of my depth. Not 'I have xxxx animals and I cba with them now so I want rid'.

Easier said than done sometimes. I speak as one who learned my lesson from making the mistake of thinking I could cope with 'just one more'. As a result I cant judge anyone else for their decisions. I may have been able to cope with the day to day care aspect, but financially I got myself into a desperate situation. I did not set out to be 'irresponsible' and I was lucky enough to have a very dear friend to help me sort things out. Had she not have done so I could well have been in a situation whereby I was having to rehome numerous Rabbits all at the same time.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes the phrase 'I now realise I took on too much' is saying just that. I thought I was helping but I now realise I am out of my depth. Not 'I have xxxx animals and I cba with them now so I want rid'.

This... and yes I was silly to take on more buns. But what I did do was save them from homes which had tiny cages and gave them bunnys mansions, and will make sure that whoever takes Timmy on he will again have a great home and a great life. Who knows how many homes with how many tiny cages they would have lived in if not. Timmy possibly wouldnt even be alive if I hadnt rehomed him due to a massive growth under his chin. But I took him to a fab vet and got him the best treatment.

But for those who dont agree with what I am doing that is completly fine. We can agree to differ. I know Im doing the right thing, even if I did make a mistake initially. Live and learn x Oh and I was asked to have a bunny before xmas, and said no, Id learnt my lesson :wave:

Well I am shocked at some of the responses on here, from people I thought better of. How dare you judge someone's decision? You have no idea what actually goes on behind the scenes. Not that is is :censored: all to do with anyone else, but I had a breakdown and I absolutely did the right thing. It's interesting seeing certain people's responses when they are certainly not whiter than white however they play it well.

Well I am shocked at some of the responses on here, from people I thought better of. How dare you judge someone's decision? You have no idea what actually goes on behind the scenes. Not that is is :censored: all to do with anyone else, but I had a breakdown and I absolutely did the right thing. It's interesting seeing certain people's responses when they are certainly not whiter than white however they play it well.

So to hear you had a breakdown x x

I hope you find Timmy a lovely home. I can totally sympathise with you. I have eight rabbits. Our last house was ours for as long as we wanted it and I was able to make huge aviary runs for them all.

That all changed when the landlord unexpectedly needed the house back (split with g/f).

Our new place has a waaay smaller garden and one of the sheds is constantly mouldy. I am stressed about their living situations and having one less set up (ie two less rabbits) would make life a LOT easier right now.

I agree that animals are your responsablility but also that circumstances genuinely do change. Also it is hard to know how much is too much until you are experiencing it.

All I can say is 'there but for the grace of God go I' :(

Things happen. That's life. I rehomed my last two rats so that I didn't end up with a lone rat living out its life alone. It was really hard but in order to be fair to the guinea pigs which were born here (the sow I rehomed as a partner for my lonely sow whose partner had died turned out be pregnant - I hadn't planned on having 5 piggies - just 2!!) I couldn't continue keeping rats.

I am still good friends with the lady who took my rats in and kept in close contact with her throughout their lives. I don't apologise for what I did - it hurt, it hurt a lot to do it - but the alternative was to have a lonely rat..... which would habeen irresponsible and cruel in my opinion.

Life is not black and white at all. I was very lucky when severe ill health forced me out of my home that my parents were able to take me and my 13 ratties in. It could have been very different story! x

I personally think that if you feel an animal would be better off with someone else then the responsible thing is to rehome them.
I hope you find a lovely home for him xx

I don't get why people criticize others decisions when they rehome a pet. If it's the usual excuses you see on free ads from people that don't seem to care or from people that repeatedly get a pet and then get rid a short time later, then sure, I can understand that. But that's clearly not the case here and it's in the rabbits best interests to be rehomed so he doesn't have to be single for the rest of his life. How's that a bad thing? Genuine reasons for rehoming shouldn't be criticized. Taking on an animal for its lifetime is responsible but so is rehoming when it's the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back