• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is water in a bowl ok?

i know this is a silly question, but i was always told to use a bottle for giving rabbits water.. but since moving diego to the shed there was no where to put one inside so i put a bowl of water, and he has been drinking way more than he used to with a bottle. is it ok for him to have a bowl of water or should i go back to a bottle?
is it the same for guinea pigs does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure water bowls are okay. Trent loves water bowls, but gets it everywhere(lol), so we use a water bottle. The only bad part about it is you might not be able to monitor how much water the rabbit is drinking. Since they run around so much, they're sure to tip it over at least once a day. I'd think it's okay, as long as you change it a lot more frequently than a bottle. :)

All of mine have water bowls. I personally prefer them because they don't leak or break (I have had 'swimming' rabbits though, but that's it, and they do that with excitement, but it just means wet paws or whatever else, nothing more). The only REAL problem I had happened once in 20 years of owning rabbits, and he managed to flip the whole crock. You will need a pottery one, not a plastic or metal one, unless you are using one attached somewhere so that it can't be flipped or tipped. It's also easier for a rabbit to be hydrated with a bowl. I think it's personal preference really :) If a bowl is what you are using, then that's fine :)

My two both prefer a bowl to a bottle.

I used a plastic one to start with which got tipped and they went all day without water before I realised ... so just make sure its a heavy ceramic one to avoid your bun tipping it over.

Mine prefer a bowl they have a bottle in the cage overnight and they will wait to go outside to their run with their water bowl :roll:

All of my pets prefer bowls. Boris likes bottles ok but the hamsters just never worked out how to use them lol clever things aren't they :lol:

Hi
I prefere bowls, i have always found water bottle dont give out enough water, my rabbit was always pulling her to get more water.

Mine have water bowls and they are fine. I think rabbits will drink more out of a bowl. I now keep mine in the run off to one side and there's much less tippage than when they had it in the hutch. As long as they have 24 hours access they should be fine.

All of mine have the really heavy crock dog bowls.
I think it is easier for them to drink from, and you need to change the water daily as it tends to get bits of hay in there.
I think you can sometimes overlook changing a bottle, but you have to change a bowl, and it benefits the rabbits as they get nice fresh water every day instead of maybe 2 or 3 day old water from a bottle.

I have to say, I don't favour bottles. I prefer (and so do all of my buns) a bowl.

Easier to keep clean and fill but more than that, it is a much more natural position for a bunny to drink from. You wouldn't find a bunny drinking with his neck crooked in the wild.:D

Munch & Pipkin prefer a bowl & Lucky, Pupmkin & Teddykins prefer a bottle. Both are fine it all depends on what the buns prefer

Bowls are much easier to clean - just stick 'em in the dishwasher!! I put mine outside the hutch though, as they sometimes get spilt when buns have a mad binky session!

All my guinea pigs also have bowls. The water does need replaced every day especially with piggies as they mess it up a lot becasue they always have something in thier mouths and it drops in the water when they drink.

Back