• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This the 'Best' Excuse for 'Wanting Rid' of a Rabbit ?

I probably should have thought through getting three predominately ginger cats with mostly blue furniture and carpets! :lol: It's a good reminder that I need to hoover though!

hey i go to other extreme- when we replaced living room carpet I picked out an agouti type colour and pattern so our tabby cats fur wouldn't show up so badly!

Mine have been neutured (exceptions of the newbies) and mine have all been adopted through people not wanting them anymore and asking me if I will take them in, guess they know I am a soft touch! I currently have 4 bunnies and 6 guineapigs all from unwanted homes , all treated well, all given my time but I have to say their 'running costs' arent really that high but then niether are that of a dog or a cat, all my animals are registered with the vets and are given the appropriate treatments when needed so please dont assume I dont understand the costs of keeping animals.
I have been keeping rabbits for 16yrs so am pretty experianced, I was trying to get accross that to a new pet owner who wants a pet for their child or sometimes themselves the cost of adopting compared to the cost of buying privately can be a big difference in their eyes, if they've never owned a bun before they wont understand they need neturing or jabs etc so in their eyes its buy a rabbit for a tenner, stick it in a cheap hutch and feed it and stroke it, sadly these are probably the rabbits that will end up in a rescue center later in life!

Yes, I've come across lots of people like this.

I am actually "putting" laminate flooring down for the bun not a carpet he can chew and dig lol in my new house that I'm emigrating to :lol:

I use to know of a dog rescue Jane who had a lovely afhagan hound come in - beautiful and so well behaved. The owners said he was destructive. The kennels found him nothing of the sort and called them up and asked them if there was anything else they needed to know. She said he barked a lot. He didn't. The kennels were concerned he had maybe nipped someone and they weren't telling them so they pushed further for reasons why this gorgeous dog was up for rehoming. Eventually the woman said ' oh well, actually, he didn't match my new three peice suite.'

I use to know of a dog rescue Jane who had a lovely afhagan hound come in - beautiful and so well behaved. The owners said he was destructive. The kennels found him nothing of the sort and called them up and asked them if there was anything else they needed to know. She said he barked a lot. He didn't. The kennels were concerned he had maybe nipped someone and they weren't telling them so they pushed further for reasons why this gorgeous dog was up for rehoming. Eventually the woman said ' oh well, actually, he didn't match my new three peice suite.'

:roll:

What's happening with the rabbit in question? I worry he/she is being left with such a moron!!:cry:

I gave her contact details of 3 local Rescues but emphasised there would be a waiting list. There is nothing more I can do, I am not in the position to take on any more Rabbits, it would be highly irresponsible of me to do so as I cant adequately provide for any more.

That's maybe the story I'm thinking of, my lad reckons we heard something similar from someone at the dogs trust the day we got Sansa.

I guess we're lucky in that none of our furniture matches anyway! :roll::lol:

Seriously though, I don't understand people at all.

I don't actually give a monkeys if it puts people off because if it puts people off that easily then they shouldn't have rabbits. The adoption fee will be the least of their expenses for sure. In fact I have to disagree and say that the reason so many people are put off is because they actually have to demonstrate that they are commited to the care of the rabbits they want to adopt. I get so many enquiries but as soon as you ask someone to complete a questionnaire with a bit of info about them, you never hear from them again. How much commitment they'd have for a rabbit if they can't even fill out a bit of paper with a few questions???

And the adoption fee in no way goes anyway close to the costs involved in getting a rabbit rehabilitated in order to be rehomed. In fact many pet shops charge more than I charge for a fully neutered and vaccinated, health checked, and bonded rabbit.

I don't actually think we charge enough!

Jane, my most common excuse these days is no longer kids got bored, but 'I'm having a baby' or 'we've just had a baby' or we moving and can't take the animals with us.

But yours has to be the most original.

Love this post :thumb:

I do suspect though that people who are only willing to pay £5-£10 max for a rabbit will not bother about neutering or vaccines. I was relating the UK rescue rabbit figures to someone the other day but as I told her the thing that worries me most is that we don't know how many more rabbits live in poky wee hutches with no hay, no interaction and no protection via vaccines/against predators/elements etc. To me its very depressing and terrifying to contemplate :( How many of them die a slow, early and lonely death because of owner ignorance.?

Also every time I have adopted rabbits that were pre neutered and vaccinated the cost was much lower than if I had had to do it myself via my vet. So I always try and give money above the adoption fee. If I am lucky enough to adopt those wee grey buns for Orla it will cost me £130 but it will be money well spent. TBH the £70 I had to pay for Orla and Donny together (pre-vacced and neutered) seems to low and if I had to put a price on my beautiful buns it would be far far higher. My poor Donovan cost me a lot more in hospitalisation and medication and consults too but you know what I don't care, the money can be re-earned and it is just money. By my poor precious boy, well I'll never get him back now :cry::cry: and no amount of money could replace him or what he meant to us.

Sadly some people still see animals as disposable replaceable commodities instead of as one of the family and I think more people are lazier and unwilling to look after and clean up after pets too which all contributes to the horrible situation we have here :(

ETA rescues are also always better because most of them will bond your rabbit for or if your bonding does not work out you can essentially swap the bun you have chose for one your first bun chooses themselves. No petshop or breeder that I know offers this. Rescues are so incredibly supportive.

Last edited:
Such sad and quite frankly ridiculous stories here!.I can't understand how folk can get rid of their pets so easily.On a forum local to me,I have noticed these past few weeks lots of "free rabbits" and "need to get rid of rabbit" posts in the pet section.I have a sneaky feeling they are trying to get rid of them before the winter sets in because they can't be bothered to go out in the cold and look after them:?

Such sad and quite frankly ridiculous stories here!.I can't understand how folk can get rid of their pets so easily.On a forum local to me,I have noticed these past few weeks lots of "free rabbits" and "need to get rid of rabbit" posts in the pet section.I have a sneaky feeling they are trying to get rid of them before the winter sets in because they can't be bothered to go out in the cold and look after them:?

You won't be far from the truth with this idea.

As the days are shorter already people have realised that they can't be bothered and that the kids would rather be inside playing on computer games etc.

The upturn in requests is the same every year about this time, but of course this time it's that much worse as more people are giving up on their animals because of financial overcommitments too. (get rid of the sky box, mobile, computer games, trips to the nail parlour, holidays away three times a year is what I say to the ones that aren't genuine!).

You won't be far from the truth with this idea.

As the days are shorter already people have realised that they can't be bothered and that the kids would rather be inside playing on computer games etc.

The upturn in requests is the same every year about this time, but of course this time it's that much worse as more people are giving up on their animals because of financial overcommitments too. (get rid of the sky box, mobile, computer games, trips to the nail parlour, holidays away three times a year is what I say to the ones that aren't genuine!).

This, so much THIS !!

I cant believe some people, honestly I just dont know how those in the front line of Pet Rescue manage to keep their cool. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could not do so, which in the grand scheme of things would not help the Pets concerned at all. Hence I stay in Hermitsville :oops:

Often times (not always but very often), when people say they can't afford a rabbit any more, it's more like they DON'T WANT TO AFFORD IT, because they will not be able to continue with the lifestyle that they want; being able to go every weekend to the pub or club, being able to buy new clothes, being able to have a mobile with 'apps'.

Meanwhile, the animals suffer.

I did have someone once ask me to take in a box of 5 rabbits that her sister had taken in. I said I couldn't and had no room. She asked me if I'd just pay for them to be neutered then........................she actually thought I got all of our rescue bunnies treated for free. Needless to say I explained that it's not quite how it works.

I do honestly think that many of Joe Public, actually believe that we have money coming from somewhere and not that it comes out of our own pockets and that we give up stuff, like buying full price food, or ever having a night out.

The last rabbit that came in for rehoming needed surgery - the owner couldn't afford it so wanted to give it up. She waited 2 months for a rescue place - she could have saved for the surgery in that time, it only cost me about £80. In the meanwhile I know she went on a cruise and the day she arrived to drop the rabbit off, I noticed her very posh and probably quite expensive nail art. No donation has been forthcoming despite one having been promised.

I've not read all this but for god's sake, we dropped a drill on our laminate floor in the hall and it didn't damage it (broke the drill though :lol:) so as if a rabbit's claws would damage it?!

Someone's just popped up on FB looking to rehome a 15 week-old kitten because they "just dont really want her in the house with the baby"... The baby is 7 MONTHS OLD!!! :censored:

I have to admit though...the reason I don't have a bunny at the moment, is because I can't get one in turquoise with white spots to match my favourite duvet set...

People are morons.

Even i have been approached to take other peoples bunnys...taxi drivers friend of a friend...one of my mums neighboyrs who had a baby bun dragged in through cat flap but was off to work in a few hours so was going to dump it on my doorstep! she has a car...access to,pdsa....oh and works cleaning at times she could juggle..it would have taken her ten minutes tops to drop it at vets.....nope cos mum said id told HER with her car etc to take it to pdsa r even the private vet...she let it go in the field!

a vet we ad told me we bun owners are causing all the problems with buns at vets..i expected him to say dietary and behavioural issues...no he said no rabbit should be classed as a pet..its better off being set free in the wild to live with its cousins in the fields! Mind you hevwas the one who to.d me to remove a loose breeders ring on the buns leg that id got from petshop and want told.....hed ave to give her a GA and use a hacksaw on the ring..cost over £60. Eventually the ring grew tighter but not cutting intomthe leg or anything and i went down there complaining...vet nurse took bunny off..cut ring in two places with special scissors...cost...£5 and bunny fine not at risk under GA or poss lose a leg with hacksaw!

taxi drivers and people i know all say w do you afford it...why do you bother....they knw someone whis kids ave got bored theyre going to release it into the wild...would i like it? no not vaccinated...no not neutered...dont know much as all as it is sit hunched up in its hutch..is there a run? no.....exercise? thats what its getting in his hutch innit?

well you keep em you must have room for more?

my rabbits biting the kids....
my rabbits sick
my rabbits died..got this one and its sick
summat wrong wiv its teeth..aint got vet money....youll ave it tho right?
kids is bored i aint cleanin it out.....it asnt been fed for aweek.....
cant let it out of its hutch into the garden run...our dog will kill itband eat it....

those are just a few of the reasons ive been given for me to take someones rabbit!

i dont have the money....and yes id be so much better off without three cats and six bunnies....but each pet is a valid reason apart from lily who was my guilty pleasure...i said its cos merlin would choose between the two girls id adopted and one would stay with me....lily munster bed hogger.
Then my poor mum dued and i inherited hunnybunny..phebe and merlin have rebonded...bertie died ..bluebell couldnt cope...eventually found frenchie in a rescue in essex where we adopted lily from. The lady from there even chose baxter out of him and his brother and drove him all the way to us.

our brother and sister cat zuzu and salem ..salem dropped dead age three heart failure...zuzu went into a sharp decline. shes kitten brained herself so adult at wouldnt be acceptable. found a kitty reserved him then was advised byba lady at a cat rescue frum to get two kittens or her life would be hell..so we did...and everyone thinks shes mummy cat with two grown ip babies! her life improved so much.
But i think theyre va,id reasons fir getting pets.....not the usual..the kids begged me ir obe now theyre bored and i dont want it.

how callous....bertievwas a constant pee wee bunny....baxters even worse.....so i get upset at furniture being weed on but try to deter it surrounding itbwith len lanels. in tears upstairs over my bedroom carpet and landing carpet outside my door. mums bunny pees constantly outside lilys cage door...no matter what I do or the trays etc im put there she pulls it away and floods the carpet...also a bit in mydoorway but not like that bit. phoebe does it outside my bedroom door on the landing carpet. but hunnybunny..mums bun is the worst.....i will just ave to cean it best i an and get soneone to cut the puece otband stick a vinyl tile or two there.

but all thse things would make people dutch their buns...

my kids never went without...i did and now i am with my furry kids...but so is nikki!!

I have a sneaky feeling they are trying to get rid of them before the winter sets in because they can't be bothered to go out in the cold and look after them:?

This is stupid. You can't just care for pets when it's sunny, I mean how many sunny days do we get a year? It's fricking England. You dont just walk a dig when its sunny and light.

The other week, when we had all that rain? I felt really bad for my rabbits, I'd tried to clean out my rabbits we were all getting soaked, by the time I'd tried to put dry bedding in, it had become soaked again :( in the end I found some old tarpaulin and made a shelter out of some wood I stuck in the ground XD

I can't wait until its winter :) I'm getting a shed by then and were going to have a heater in it with some solar lights and I'm going to put a chair in there with my laptop and spend an hour or so in there a day playing and generally being with my animals. I love the company of animals and I can't h e them as free range indoor animals, so a warm shed is the next best thing.

Back