• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This the 'Best' Excuse for 'Wanting Rid' of a Rabbit ?

How silly, poor rabbit, I think rescues are so full because they charge so much for a rabbit when you could go private for a lot less,, the rspca charge £46 and another local resuce charges £60 per rabbit now bearing in minde they like to live in pairs thats an awful lot of money when you can pay just £10 privately or even get them for free, not all new owners will be getting their rabbits netured either which is why rescues prehaps charge so much, dont get me wrong I think rescue centers do a great job and can appriciate why their costs are so high but I do feel this puts people off adopting.
I wanted to adopted a female for my male rabbit as a companion , we visited the rspca but there wasnt a female avablibe, I looked on preloved and a lady desperatly needed to rehome her rabbits, mum and baby, we got them for nothing.

I don't actually give a monkeys if it puts people off because if it puts people off that easily then they shouldn't have rabbits. The adoption fee will be the least of their expenses for sure. In fact I have to disagree and say that the reason so many people are put off is because they actually have to demonstrate that they are commited to the care of the rabbits they want to adopt. I get so many enquiries but as soon as you ask someone to complete a questionnaire with a bit of info about them, you never hear from them again. How much commitment they'd have for a rabbit if they can't even fill out a bit of paper with a few questions???

And the adoption fee in no way goes anyway close to the costs involved in getting a rabbit rehabilitated in order to be rehomed. In fact many pet shops charge more than I charge for a fully neutered and vaccinated, health checked, and bonded rabbit.

I don't actually think we charge enough!

Jane, my most common excuse these days is no longer kids got bored, but 'I'm having a baby' or 'we've just had a baby' or we moving and can't take the animals with us.

But yours has to be the most original.

One of my bunnies who I adopted from a rescue had been surrendered because her owners were "emigrating" to Wales!!! I still can't quite believe that one :evil:

I don't actually give a monkeys if it puts people off because if it puts people off that easily then they shouldn't have rabbits. The adoption fee will be the least of their expenses for sure. In fact I have to disagree and say that the reason so many people are put off is because they actually have to demonstrate that they are commited to the care of the rabbits they want to adopt. I get so many enquiries but as soon as you ask someone to complete a questionnaire with a bit of info about them, you never hear from them again. How much commitment they'd have for a rabbit if they can't even fill out a bit of paper with a few questions???

And the adoption fee in no way goes anyway close to the costs involved in getting a rabbit rehabilitated in order to be rehomed. In fact many pet shops charge more than I charge for a fully neutered and vaccinated, health checked, and bonded rabbit.

I don't actually think we charge enough!

Jane, my most common excuse these days is no longer kids got bored, but 'I'm having a baby' or 'we've just had a baby' or we moving and can't take the animals with us.

But yours has to be the most original.

Just read another one ' Having to rehome him (the Rabbit) as we are decorating' :?

that is a poor and very pathetic excuse for getting rid of a rabbit

i can never get why people get pets and then find very lame excuses when they no longer want them

Rabbits are not cheap pets beyond the purchase price and if rescues bring this to peoples attention then that is great as if they do not want to pay the adoption fee I doubt they will want to pay hundreds if not thousands in vet bills.

but thats what I said, people dont always want/need to have their rabbits netured so a free rabbit costs nothing,
From inexperianced owners point of view they just want a rabbit and why would they pay £60 when they can get one for nothing.
Had the rspca had a doe we would most likley of adopted her and been happy to pay the price as I would rather rehome an unwanted pet then buy another from a pet shop/privately but not everyone veiws it that way for some people cost is a big issue and they dont see the bigger picture.

All rabbits should be neutered for health and behavioural reasons. A 'free' rabbit could come with all sorts of health issues and therefore hefty vet bills. With a rescue they will tell you the rabbits history.

And why is it that it is always the Rabbit that has to go if people get a dog when they already have a Rabbit. The 'we have a puppy now so we cant give Thumper the attention he deserves'.

Why not just be honest, we are fed up with the Rabbit and we want rid.

And why is it that it is always the Rabbit that has to go if people get a dog when they already have a Rabbit. The 'we have a puppy now so we cant give Thumper the attention he deserves'.

Why not just be honest, we are fed up with the Rabbit and we want rid.

I have dogs and rabbits - my bunnies live in a dog kennel and run and they get lots of attention as do all my pets, they are different but both species are lovely in their own way, I don't know why you would replace one pet with another.

Mine have been neutured (exceptions of the newbies) and mine have all been adopted through people not wanting them anymore and asking me if I will take them in, guess they know I am a soft touch! I currently have 4 bunnies and 6 guineapigs all from unwanted homes , all treated well, all given my time but I have to say their 'running costs' arent really that high but then niether are that of a dog or a cat, all my animals are registered with the vets and are given the appropriate treatments when needed so please dont assume I dont understand the costs of keeping animals.
I have been keeping rabbits for 16yrs so am pretty experianced, I was trying to get accross that to a new pet owner who wants a pet for their child or sometimes themselves the cost of adopting compared to the cost of buying privately can be a big difference in their eyes, if they've never owned a bun before they wont understand they need neturing or jabs etc so in their eyes its buy a rabbit for a tenner, stick it in a cheap hutch and feed it and stroke it, sadly these are probably the rabbits that will end up in a rescue center later in life!

For the life of me I can't remember where I hear this so it might be nonsense but I have a story in my head of a woman returning a dog to a rescue as she had decorated and the dog no longer matched the furniture. I'm rather lucky in this respect as my dog has ensured the furniture matches her by leaving orange hair all over it.

Someone in work the other day was asking me about my boyfriends rat whom we've had at the vet recently for a bad ear drum which was causing him to spin. He asked how much a rat generally costs and enquired why we didn't just get a new one. Sadly some folk just don't get it. :roll:

I have a cousin - who will gladly shout and spit in my face- because I had a go at her at her frankly awful treatment of animals. She's had no ends of dogs and cats and gets rid of them when they hit 6months or so and hrmones have kicked in, then gets babies again. Really angers me.

For the life of me I can't remember where I hear this so it might be nonsense but I have a story in my head of a woman returning a dog to a rescue as she had decorated and the dog no longer matched the furniture. I'm rather lucky in this respect as my dog has ensured the furniture matches her by leaving orange hair all over it.

Someone in work the other day was asking me about my boyfriends rat whom we've had at the vet recently for a bad ear drum which was causing him to spin. He asked how much a rat generally costs and enquired why we didn't just get a new one. Sadly some folk just don't get it. :roll:

Many years ago I lost a Rabbit during a routine spay. When the Vet (NOT the Vet I use now) called to tell me she just said 'Still you can always buy another one'..............

:roll:

I probably should have thought through getting three predominately ginger cats with mostly blue furniture and carpets! :lol: It's a good reminder that I need to hoover though!

Many years ago I lost a Rabbit during a routine spay. When the Vet (NOT the Vet I use now) called to tell me she just said 'Still you can always buy another one'..............

:roll:

:shock: I hope nobody uses that vet now!

I hate "the kids don't bother anymore and it's not fair on the rabbit". No, what's not fair was you giving your child an entire LIFE as a 'present'. Of course a child isn't going to look after an animal, they can't even look after themselves yet! You're the adult, you have to be the responsible one because your six year old certainly isn't going to.

Do you any of you ever say anything to these people? I force myself not to, but sometimes it's really hard to ignore.

oh, well.....what can I say? I spent like at least a full salary(like 400 euros) on Chrisi's treatment for the bone and the teeth and my sister keeps telling me that she costed her just 15, and that she wouldn't give any money for her improvement more than this "value". How can she get that Chrisi is my friend and I don't care if i'll give 400 or 4000, as long as I can get a hold on that much and it makes her fine?
People do it all the time, Bobby was left too:( Bad thing is that here we don't have bunny rescues, and not so much shelters so people just put their pets outside and leave them....
I can understand rehoming a pet that destroys everything in a flat and poos/pees everywhere, I experienced it and at some point you get to the point that neither you nor the pet is happy. It happened to my second dog, which caused me a lot of trouble in front of my parents but I still loved it. But it just didn't feel right, it was destroying everything it could found and they were screaming at him, but he just continued..He peed in his water and pooed in his bed...So we found him a house with a garden where he can destroy everything, pee and poo everywhere and as far as I know he is much better.

Problem is that most often reasons to kick out a pet are muuuuuch more innocent, as you all said - a new boyfriend, new furniture, moving, or simply laziness...but those are people who just love pets as they love a beautiful coat or a ring.

Oh, no! I just put laminate flooring down, quick Jane, you better take Grim and Smoo!

I would be terrified with the prospect of home improvements causing the rehoming of my pets. :(
My mom really made me furious when I was in sixth grade, she'd gotten new loveseats with embroidered cushions and sides and my cat went for a scratch and immediately my mom shrieked that she'd need declawing. I wasn't having it so she waited till I was at camp for a week and did it behind my back. I spent the rest of my cat's life having to protect her from other cats when she went outdoors.
I'd have rather set those loveseats on fire. :evil:

I can't tell you how many of my childhood pets 'went to live with relatives' not because I didn't pull my weight in their care, but because my folks got tired of them one way or other. :cry:

Most of us on here probably do home improvements FOR our pets.

I know when I moved into my flat I ripped up the carpet and put down laminate so they could free-range all day and it be hygenic (the carpet was very deep-not great for bunny accidents).

Most of us on here probably do home improvements FOR our pets.

I know when I moved into my flat I ripped up the carpet and put down laminate so they could free-range all day and it be hygenic (the carpet was very deep-not great for bunny accidents).

yeah I want the rest of the house to have laminate flooring because it's a lot easier with pets :lol:

that women should have gotten hardwood flooring, it doesn't scratch as easily ;)

Back