• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this okay! (dog crate)

From the picture it looks like you might be able to swap the desk and cage over which would allow you to have more space for the buns and still be able to get out of bed. As for a chair, what about a folding one so you can move it when not using?

What about NIC panels?

Forgive my memory but is Matilda spayed?

I thought out the panels but i can't build them! and you have to make a base and shelves, i can't do any of that thy also look reall flimsy :/ and i dnt think i'll be able to get 3 pannels width! and can't have it just 2 pannels

and yh tils is spayed! x

From the picture it looks like you might be able to swap the desk and cage over which would allow you to have more space for the buns and still be able to get out of bed. As for a chair, what about a folding one so you can move it when not using?

it dosn't fit :( the width of the dog crate would mean the desk blocks the exit from my room

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/gen...ferralID=2cf87309-0fba-11e1-931b-001b2166c2c0
Its a US site but so far the only one I can find thats 48x28! I'll keep looking xx

ETA- and another..http://www.petstreetmall.com/XLarge-Midwest-Life-Stages-Double-Door-Dog-Crate/2825/1674/

ETA again...- found one from the UK! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Puppy..._Dogs&var=&hash=item800f53da88#ht_1347wt_1198

Obviously 4ft still isnt ideal, but if its the best that can be done then theres not much else that can be done! :)

Last edited:
http://www.petsupplies.com/item/gen...ferralID=2cf87309-0fba-11e1-931b-001b2166c2c0
Its a US site but so far the only one I can find thats 48x28! I'll keep looking xx

ETA- and another..http://www.petstreetmall.com/XLarge-Midwest-Life-Stages-Double-Door-Dog-Crate/2825/1674/

ETA again...- found one from the UK! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Puppy..._Dogs&var=&hash=item800f53da88#ht_1347wt_1198

Obviously 4ft still isnt ideal, but if its the best that can be done then theres not much else that can be done! :)

the top one would be fab, the bottom one is only 42" x

I thought out the panels but i can't build them! and you have to make a base and shelves, i can't do any of that thy also look reall flimsy :/ and i dnt think i'll be able to get 3 pannels width! and can't have it just 2 pannels

and yh tils is spayed! x

You don't have to make a base :) lino will do and a bit of something round the edges and you're sorted. If you want something like a shelf just use a low footstool :)

The other thing is to use puppy pen panels instead of the dog crate.

We close Poppy in her crate (42 inch one) at night and when we go to work. She just sleeps though tbh, she is out till 12 at night but her active periods have settled to when she is out at 1pm to 12 am lol. She has actually been staying out of the crate a few nights a week because she's been good (by good I mean not a nutter) but she's acting her age now ;) we have to put one of the runs around the desk because she likes to be helpful and tidy up the wires (not chew them because she can't lol, just move them constantly and we don't want her to hurt herself by pulling something off the desk :))

In the day when she isn't so bothered we put the play pen around the bed to leave her out all day (she doesn't jump on it anymore but she too liked to use it as a toilet :lol: :roll:)

This is where she likes to spend most of her time though, being an old lady :) (she's only 4 ;) :lol:)

385090_2667287321888_1247194459_33080576_1171207382_n.jpg

Last edited:
We close Poppy in her crate (42 inch one) at night and when we go to work. She just sleeps though tbh, she is out till 12 at night but her active periods have settled to when she is out at 1pm to 12 am lol. She has actually been staying out of the crate a few nights a week because she's been good (by good I mean not a nutter) but she's acting her age now ;) we have to put one of the runs around the desk because she likes to be helpful and tidy up the wires (not chew them because she can't lol, just move them constantly and we don't want her to hurt herself by pulling something off the desk :))

In the day when she isn't so bothered we put the play pen around the bed to leave her out all day (she doesn't jump on it anymore but she too liked to use it as a toilet :lol: :roll:)

This is where she likes to spend most of her time though, being an old lady :) (she's only 4 ;) :lol:)

385090_2667287321888_1247194459_33080576_1171207382_n.jpg

see that crate looks HUGE and poppy looks tiny in it! so a 48 would be massive!!

see that crate looks HUGE and poppy looks tiny in it! so a 48 would be massive!!

I thought it was massive when I first put it up :lol: I wouldn't like to close her in all the time but she is generally a lazy bunny :lol: when she is let out she just goes and lies by her bear for hours :D :lol:

I think they're taller rather than anything so a second floor could be an option? :) We're making her a wooden box to go across the whole of the area where her box is now to act as a shelf :)

I thought it was massive when I first put it up :lol: I wouldn't like to close her in all the time but she is generally a lazy bunny :lol: when she is let out she just goes and lies by her bear for hours :D :lol:

I think they're taller rather than anything so a second floor could be an option? :) We're making her a wooden box to go across the whole of the area where her box is now to act as a shelf :)

yhh im gona put some sort of second level in! cos I can only open the door on the end and not in the middle os the desk over laps, I can put a 2nd level in the other end and not have to worry out it overlapping the door etc x

do you have a photo of the room? We might be able to suggest something then. :wave:

Ive already put on here in a different thread about it, my furneture can't fit any other way, spent hours when i moved in trying to fit it all, ive orderd the 42", as it looks alot bigger than I thought, and should be fine with a shelve about etc

Its only about 3 inches smaller than what Grayson is in now! and about the same size as what tils is in!

Just need to figure out some sort of shelve thing that I can make but they can't be bonded untill after christmas anyway x

It's easy to make a shelf/hidey hole in a dog crate using 2 pieces of timber and a couple of screws and a saw from poundland :D

I made B&G's 48" dog crate, and with 2 levels i did lock them in at night. They now have the dog crate (2 floors 4ftx2ft but space lost for ramp) and a 4x4 puppy pen setup for at night, as for their own safety and my finances, but the rest of the time they have the whole house, which i still have to keep an eye on as Elena says - they can do just as much damage if not more during the day.

That said, i hate locking them in. Biscuit hates it, he chews the bars and stamps :( When i move house, they will be (fingers crossed) free-range in the office room, without any kind of locking away. They will have a corner of the room with a piece of lino, some fleeces, and their litter tray / water etc. It's easier than locking away too as theres no big ugly out of place furniture.

It's easy to make a shelf/hidey hole in a dog crate using 2 pieces of timber and a couple of screws and a saw from poundland :D

I made B&G's 48" dog crate, and with 2 levels i did lock them in at night. They now have the dog crate (2 floors 4ftx2ft but space lost for ramp) and a 4x4 puppy pen setup for at night, as for their own safety and my finances, but the rest of the time they have the whole house, which i still have to keep an eye on as Elena says - they can do just as much damage if not more during the day.

That said, i hate locking them in. Biscuit hates it, he chews the bars and stamps :( When i move house, they will be (fingers crossed) free-range in the office room, without any kind of locking away. They will have a corner of the room with a piece of lino, some fleeces, and their litter tray / water etc. It's easier than locking away too as theres no big ugly out of place furniture.

I only want the second level to be on like half of the crate, i'm rubbish at DIY tho ha been looking at cheap like small tables like coffee tables or bed side tables etc,

but with a shelf do you just put 2 battons across and then rest a piece of wood over the top, where do u screw it, to secure it

It might sound a bit crazy but I know what I'd do if it was me :D I'd forget the dog crate and get myself a cabin bed and stick the buns underneath and shut them under there at night with mesh panels or something across the front, they could come out when your are there to supervise and your bedroom would be much clearer. I know cabin beds are a bit childish but some of them can be really nice, you could get a wooden one and paint it a nice colour :D

It might sound a bit crazy but I know what I'd do if it was me :D I'd forget the dog crate and get myself a cabin bed and stick the buns underneath and shut them under there at night with mesh panels or something across the front, they could come out when your are there to supervise and your bedroom would be much clearer. I know cabin beds are a bit childish but some of them can be really nice, you could get a wooden one and paint it a nice colour :D

:love: What a wonderful idea.

lol ive just got a new bed! its higher than normal its classed as a middi sleeper!

I cudnt manage a cabin bed as I have ME so getting in and out it would be about tough on a bad day etc!

It a fab idea tho!!

lol ive just got a new bed! its higher than normal its classed as a middi sleeper!

I cudnt manage a cabin bed as I have ME so getting in and out it would be about tough on a bad day etc!

It a fab idea tho!!

Ah what a shame and I'm sorry to hear you have ME :(

Back