• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this big enough

I would go with the 6ft hutch in your first link, the quality will be better than that last one. Happy Hutch are a well known maker so I'd stick with them.

I would go with the 6ft hutch in your first link, the quality will be better than that last one. Happy Hutch are a well known maker so I'd stick with them.

Hiya:wave:

The other ppl told me i shouldnt go with happy hutch cuz they are selling 3 ft ones so they dont caare about rabbit welfare.:?

Hiya:wave:

The other ppl told me i shouldnt go with happy hutch cuz they are selling 3 ft ones so they dont caare about rabbit welfare.:?

I've only just seen this thread or would have replied about that point earlier. If nobody bought the 6ft ones from Happy Hutch (on principle because they also sell smaller ones) then the only hutches they sell would be the 3ft ones (as these would be bought by the uninformed people who believe that rabbits only need smaller hutches).

They would then stop making the 6ft ones altogether as nobody is buying them. Surely a better way of convincing HH to stop making the small ones is to show them that the larger sizes are more popular. That's how I look at it anyhow.

I've only just seen this thread or would have replied about that point earlier. If nobody bought the 6ft ones from Happy Hutch (on principle because they also sell smaller ones) then the only hutches they sell would be the 3ft ones (as these would be bought by the uninformed people who believe that rabbits only need smaller hutches).

They would then stop making the 6ft ones altogether as nobody is buying them. Surely a better way of convincing HH to stop making the small ones is to show them that the larger sizes are more popular. That's how I look at it anyhow.

:thumb: Well said.

I agree...and at least they do sell 6ft hutches! I don't think there are very many companies yet that only sell 6ft and above.

If you're going to go this route I would definately email them and tell them what you think of 3 + 4 ft ones.

sounds like a good idea, I see what people are saying about them not thinking the 6ft ones are popular. Its a bit of a catch-22 really! You could send them a polite email saying how pleased you are to see they sell 6ft hutches, mention the RSPCA guidelines :) and say that unfortunately you're worried the smaller ones are breaking them

I do agree that 3ft hutches are unsuitable, but it all depends on how the hutch is going to be used.

I have bought a 4ft double hutch from Happy Hutch, and am very happy with it. We have 2 dutch rabbits (14 weeks old), and the hutch is situated in the shed. We have removed one of the hutch doors, so that the rabbits can go in and out of the hutch as they like, into a closed off section of the shed which measures about 4ft 6 length and 2ft wide. There is then a hole in the shed which leads to the outside run, which measures 6ft long by 3ft wide. The rabbits also get free range time in our backyard most days.

If someone bought the 3ft hutch to be used within a shed, and the rabbit had free access to a run 24/7, therefore the hutch being used as a "bedroom" type area, then I have no issue with that.

However, if the 3ft or 4ft hutch is being used as a permanent living area, then I agree, they are unsuitable.

Hi again,

another question:oops:

I was wondering (as always) if i got a ssingle story 6 ft hutch for my dutch and wild/dutch x and they had free range of the garden for em 12 hours would that hutch be ok?

thanks again

Ash&crystal x

Hi again,

another question:oops:

I was wondering (as always) if i got a ssingle story 6 ft hutch for my dutch and wild/dutch x and they had free range of the garden for em 12 hours would that hutch be ok?

thanks again

Ash&crystal x

That would be a good sized hutch, but are you sure it's safe to have them freerange all day? Preditors like foxes and cats are an issue, and you'd have to make 100% sure there's no way they could escape, or get hurt.

I do agree that 3ft hutches are unsuitable, but it all depends on how the hutch is going to be used.

I have bought a 4ft double hutch from Happy Hutch, and am very happy with it. We have 2 dutch rabbits (14 weeks old), and the hutch is situated in the shed. We have removed one of the hutch doors, so that the rabbits can go in and out of the hutch as they like, into a closed off section of the shed which measures about 4ft 6 length and 2ft wide. There is then a hole in the shed which leads to the outside run, which measures 6ft long by 3ft wide. The rabbits also get free range time in our backyard most days.

If someone bought the 3ft hutch to be used within a shed, and the rabbit had free access to a run 24/7, therefore the hutch being used as a "bedroom" type area, then I have no issue with that.

However, if the 3ft or 4ft hutch is being used as a permanent living area, then I agree, they are unsuitable.

I do agree with this - my boys' hutch is only 4ft! BUT you just know that ignorant people who still see a hutch as a 'toybox' to store the rabbit in down the end of the garden, are going to buy the 3 and 4 ft ones because they're cheaper, and take up less space. :roll:

Well, I know that breed and size is everything, so 1 is dutch and the other is a wild/dutch i dont know exactly how big the x will grow because it is only 5 weeks old(i dont know which one i am keeping so thats why i am calling it, it and x);)i am at the moment rabbit proofing my garden and now you sya it no i wouldnt be sure about leaving them as i have to go to school for 6 hours a day so if they had 6 hours a day would that be ok(most of the time would be supervised)

I just want whats best for them i cant think of anything better than just watching my buns binkying around my garden

Last edited:
My sister has 2 dutch buns in a 6ft hutch at the moment, and she is out at work during the day, they then get free range time when she is at home. However, she is going to be making a 6ft by 4ft run that will be attached to the hutch.

Can you not do this, so that the buns can have some space whilst you are at school, and then free range when you are at home?

My sister has 2 dutch buns in a 6ft hutch at the moment, and she is out at work during the day, they then get free range time when she is at home. However, she is going to be making a 6ft by 4ft run that will be attached to the hutch.

Can you not do this, so that the buns can have some space whilst you are at school, and then free range when you are at home?

I do have a run it is:
6ftx4ft
but i dont know how i will attach it:D

Back