• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this big enough

Hi....Ive seen this hutch on ebay & its the best Ive seen so far - I bought a run from this guy too & its really great - folds up to put away when buns are inside too.

This hutch is a triple hutch: 6fy range.
113 - 72" x 20" x 60" (w x d x h )Sloping Roof Triple Hutch With Built In Under Run,Hinged Lid With Stay Arm & Lock,Legs With Adjustable Feet.

Connecting Ladder on all Levels,Black Painted Floors,Black PPC Coated Wired,Sliding Metal Bolts.

Link below - not sure if it will work but hope so!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RABBIT-GUINEA...pplies_Small_Animals&var=&hash=item6fc24f5d87

This guy has loads of different sizes available & the construction seems quite good.....whats nice to is the bottom floor of some double & triple hutches can be removed to make it a run area....well - a hop area!

Hope this helps with some more options of good hutch sizes.....though its hard to find a seller who doesnt sella smaller hutch - like you guys say - rabbits & other small furries are somehow presumed to not need the room to move about!

good luck!;)

Hi. I bought the 6ft rabbit hutch from e bay. Yes it was a lot cheaper than other ones I looked at but it really is cheap wood. The door has already fallen off once. Cheap hinges - cheap wood and the bolt broke. I didn't know alot about rabbits at the time but wish I'd spent more and got them a decent hutch!! Also, they dont comply with RSPCA standards as they are only 20 inches deep. I'd already bought it and rang up the RSPCA to adopt two rescue buns and was told it wasn't deep enough. I was not a happy bunny!!

Hi. I bought the 6ft rabbit hutch from e bay. Yes it was a lot cheaper than other ones I looked at but it really is cheap wood. The door has already fallen off once. Cheap hinges - cheap wood and the bolt broke. I didn't know alot about rabbits at the time but wish I'd spent more and got them a decent hutch!! Also, they dont comply with RSPCA standards as they are only 20 inches deep. I'd already bought it and rang up the RSPCA to adopt two rescue buns and was told it wasn't deep enough. I was not a happy bunny!!

Out of interest sake - was it from the same guy from my link above yours? Im thinking of getting one of the hutches....if I dont find a second handone or make one myself....dont wanna get a badly made one!? The run i got was fine for what i paid....thanks!:)

I would like to say that not everybody is going to be making or selling hutches under 6ft, I only plan on manufacturing 6ft hutches but it’s not going to be easy due to those who do sell hutches under 6ft.

I don’t understand how anyone can say a rabbit is okay in a 3ft hutch.
I also disagree with companies who do both 6ft and smaller, they are telling people its okay to put a rabbit in smaller hutches.

If they didn’t build them then no one could buy one and we wouldn’t have the problem we have today. We got this for my rabbit and i wish i never now: http://www.ideas-4-pets.com/bunny-den-de-luxe-047-p-3524.html

Hi Chelle. No it wasnt from the same seller. After my own bad experience I would be very wary of buying a hutch from ebay made out of dried fir. Are they all imported from china? I know they are cheaper but are they going to last?

Hi Chelle. No it wasnt from the same seller. After my own bad experience I would be very wary of buying a hutch from ebay made out of dried fir. Are they all imported from china? I know they are cheaper but are they going to last?

Hi!:wave:

Oh ok - phew - thats good -though my run may just fall apart too when I wasnt loooking!:shock::lol:

Yeah - Im wondering too about that worry - though you can go & collect from this buyer I think - so at least you could check it out!
I presume they are all imported - as Im sure there are others selling the same makes under their own"e-bay shops" and also else where on the internet....but I though that Fir was supposed to be a better option than pine or cedar? :?:oops:
And arent most hutches made from pine here?:shock:

I would be grateful to know what the hutches are generally made out of in the UK?
And if dried fir is better for the bunnies that chew!?

Would dried fir last as long as any other dried wood used for hutches......I have no idea...maybe we will get a wood knowledgable person soon!:oops:
Lets hope!:p - as I need to build or buy an outside hutch still!:shock:

After spending hours & hours searching the internet for a decent quality hutch at the right size for us, we ordered of ebay a "Extra Large Hutch N Down" what a load of rubbish & the size was a joke about 16" deep & 14"-16" high.
We sent it straight back & now I am going to make my own over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Hi!:wave:

Oh ok - phew - thats good -though my run may just fall apart too when I wasnt loooking!:shock::lol:

Yeah - Im wondering too about that worry - though you can go & collect from this buyer I think - so at least you could check it out!
I presume they are all imported - as Im sure there are others selling the same makes under their own"e-bay shops" and also else where on the internet....but I though that Fir was supposed to be a better option than pine or cedar? :?:oops:
And arent most hutches made from pine here?:shock:

I would be grateful to know what the hutches are generally made out of in the UK?
And if dried fir is better for the bunnies that chew!?

Would dried fir last as long as any other dried wood used for hutches......I have no idea...maybe we will get a wood knowledgable person soon!:oops:
Lets hope!:p - as I need to build or buy an outside hutch still!:shock:

I'm no expert but as far as I know, but dont quote me on it

Fir & Spruce is classed as a "whitewood"
Pine & Ceder is classed as a "redwood"
Redwoods usually from places like scandinavia are better quality timber than whitewood as the trees are much slower growing due to the colder climates.

Is that the one from ebay? I know someone on another bunnies forum who has one, with a run attached, and its great for her buns :)

:wave:yes from the same seller as the double decker six foot
and it would just be a base when i get home from school they will have my whole garden for 6 hours!:D

:wave:yes from the same seller as the double decker six foot
and it would just be a base when i get home from school they will have my whole garden for 6 hours!:D

I think that would be perfect :D similar to the situation my bunnies are in and they are happy!

Can I just say that with wild X bunnies you need to be so, so careful about the run, free time (especially), what you enclose them in, everything, because very rarely are they like fully domestic bunnies, so be very careful.

Can I just say that with wild X bunnies you need to be so, so careful about the run, free time (especially), what you enclose them in, everything, because very rarely are they like fully domestic bunnies, so be very careful.

Sorry:wave:I dont understand:?

Sorry:wave:I dont understand:?

Ok, well wild cross bunnies are half wild, half domestic, and that means that they have a large amount of wild instincts.

I've worked a lot with wild X bunnies at the RSPCA centre I volunteer with and they can be very different.

As they hit adolescence they may not cope with being in anything 'small' and may need a large amount of space.

They may have an insatiable need to dig and escape further (and they will be able to dig super fast), so they need to be on concrete or on grass with mesh underneath.

They can sneak out of teeny tiny holes.

They can jump high (higher than your average bunny).

They may have natural instincts to hide and be nervous of being touched and handled (mainly after adolescence when they are less trusting).

They may not 'cope' with being 'forced' to interact with domestic bunnies (even mum) because they will behave so differently.

They may always be 'look but don't touch' bunnies.

They will probably move super fast (the wildie crosses I have met have nearly always moved far faster than any domestic) so catching will be a challenge.

Erm, what else.

They will need lots of hidey holes to hide in.

They will always have to live with somebunny else because they will get more depressed than your average rabbit.

They may get vicious and bite and nip through 'not coping' with some aspect of their life.

If you work hard they are just the most amazing animals to be around, but its important to remember they are both wild and domestic but neither wild and domestic, which means you have to be aware of and cater for the needs of both.

Those whose domestic traits are more prevalent can be brought around more, but sometimes those with more wildie traits will always show that wild side.

Always be patient and always allow them to be whoever it is they are.

If you rehome any of your babies then you will need to home check (with a parent) because a lot of people won't realise what a wild cross is like and what their needs really are and this will put the rabbits at risk.

ETA-Does that make more sense?

Presumably they are all agouti too (as all wild crosses are), which will mean they will also have excellent camouflage skills.

Ok, well wild cross bunnies are half wild, half domestic, and that means that they have a large amount of wild instincts.

I've worked a lot with wild X bunnies at the RSPCA centre I volunteer with and they can be very different.

As they hit adolescence they may not cope with being in anything 'small' and may need a large amount of space.

They may have an insatiable need to dig and escape further (and they will be able to dig super fast), so they need to be on concrete or on grass with mesh underneath.

They can sneak out of teeny tiny holes.

They can jump high (higher than your average bunny).

They may have natural instincts to hide and be nervous of being touched and handled (mainly after adolescence when they are less trusting).

They may not 'cope' with being 'forced' to interact with domestic bunnies (even mum) because they will behave so differently.

They may always be 'look but don't touch' bunnies.

They will probably move super fast (the wildie crosses I have met have nearly always moved far faster than any domestic) so catching will be a challenge.

Erm, what else.

They will need lots of hidey holes to hide in.

They will always have to live with somebunny else because they will get more depressed than your average rabbit.

They may get vicious and bite and nip through 'not coping' with some aspect of their life.

If you work hard they are just the most amazing animals to be around, but its important to remember they are both wild and domestic but neither wild and domestic, which means you have to be aware of and cater for the needs of both.

Those whose domestic traits are more prevalent can be brought around more, but sometimes those with more wildie traits will always show that wild side.

Always be patient and always allow them to be whoever it is they are.

If you rehome any of your babies then you will need to home check (with a parent) because a lot of people won't realise what a wild cross is like and what their needs really are and this will put the rabbits at risk.

ETA-Does that make more sense?

Presumably they are all agouti too (as all wild crosses are), which will mean they will also have excellent camouflage skills.

Thanks so much for the information,they will have company and I wont try and make them anything there not if theey dont want to be interactive and just want to hide and things then so be it i wont be any less loving towards them i hope that they would be able to trust me enough to let me interact with them. I considre that they wont be the most cuddly but i will love them just as much. again thank you so much for giving me this information and i will take it all into account:D

Thanks so much for the information,they will have company and I wont try and make them anything there not if theey dont want to be interactive and just want to hide and things then so be it i wont be any less loving towards them i hope that they would be able to trust me enough to let me interact with them. I considre that they wont be the most cuddly but i will love them just as much. again thank you so much for giving me this information and i will take it all into account:D

You're very, very welcome :)

If you have any other questions then just drop me a PM and ask, ok? If I can help, I'm more than happy to :)

The largest would be fine, yes. HOWEVER, I personally would not buy one, as they also make 3ft ones - basically a bunny prison. If I were you I'd spend my money on a company which only produces decent sized hutches, therefore suppotrting awareness of animal welfare, as opposed to animal cruelty.

to be fair, somewhere on the site it says: range from 3ft for GP's to 6ft for larger rabbits

Back