• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my rabbit sick or in labour?

Ultimately it's your decision of course, I just wanted to make you aware that if you leave them together but don't notice she has given birth until after she has done so - she will get pregnant again straight away. Eve at Briar Patch rescue recently had this happen (someone brought a family with a day old litter in to her - and four weeks later she had another litter - leaving 11 buns to rehome!) so apart from the strain on the mother it's a lot to be aware of. Even if you rehome them responsibly yourself - those homes you find for the babies are taking up homes which those owners could give to rescue rabbits which already exist, instead :cry:

If you are going to keep them together in the long term after she is spayed, you will need to get the male neutered anyway. If you do a search on here, the topic has been discussed before - unneutered males are very...erm...'randy' and will harass a female to the point of her getting aggressive and possibly biting his 'bits', so it really is extremely unlikely to work out in the long term :cry:

Like I say, at the end of the day it's up to you of course, I just wouldn't want you to not realise quite what you could be letting yourself in for!

Back