• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it safe to leave my bunnies alone tonight?

bunnybobby

Warren Scout
Hello everyone. I have been bonding two bunnies over the past few days. They have not been parted now for 3.5 days. Mostly they have been in a pen in my kitchen. I tried to put them in his hutch on sunday and i think it was too early as after cuddling in the bedroom he went bonkers chasing and nipping her.Today i put them in his hutch again. New rescue bun is 4 weeks post spay and they have stayed together downstairs. Do you think i can leave them to it overnight, they have been perfect all day but she has not gone upstairs again. Hutch door is open into my garage. Any experts out there? Would like any help please. I will be leaving a dim light on overnight so they dont spook one another.

Sorry,I'm not an expert but have a few tips!

I'm not sure where they are at the mo.,are they in a pen in the kitchen, or in a hutch?

Bonding bunnies

Hi, THey are in his hutch in my garage. I was wondering about bringing them back into my kitchen in a pen for safety? I'm not sure what to do. He is a dominant bun and she has spent two years on her own and is shy and inexperienced. I just don't want him to hurt her. He has groomed her today but she isn't grooming back as i think she hasn't much of a clue. Thank you for reply. This is the first time i have used this forum and am rubbish with computers.

You mention that they have a double storey hutch and have the hutch door open to the garage, personally if they are in a 6 x 2 foot hutch I would only give them one level after about another 24 hours I would expand this to 2 levels if they are happy and then in approximately a weeks time increase this further by a small amount.

3.5 days without aggression is good!

My reservation with bonding in hutches is that they are rarely neutral territory i.e one of the buns has normally lived in it previously.
Where there are separate levels, or bedroom compartments you often get the dominant bun trying to claim these areas, which is why they're not ideal.
A simple space, like a pen on one level is best, but ideally you need to pick a place and stick to it for around a week for a difficult bun.
I think you may confuse them and possibly knock back the process by switching them from one place to another.

How big is the pen in the kitchen?

Have you cleaned his hutch out with vinegar so there are no scents?
It is best to bond them in a small area first for a week or so:D

Bunny bonding

Thank you. I think that is sound advice. I will cut the upper floor off and perhaps put a very small pen around the open hutch door so she can escape if needs be? She is a bit of a poor nethie soul, being neglected by a so called breeder and left lonely, underweight, and filthy. She deserves better. Thank you for your help.

Bunny bonding

Thank you for all advice. I am still listening. Yes i did clean his hutch and have now decided not to move them from where they are now. All this cleaning up hasn't done my back any good anyway but it was a labour of love!

Bunny bonding

Hi, Yes, bunnys did well overnight and are snuggled this morning. I have now shut the bottom hutch door as they had small run access. I closed off the top teir last night and will clean with vinegar again. I am planning to open the top up at teatime if all goes well today. I actually want to put them in the garden as the weather is so nice but i suppose there will be plenty of time for that in the future. I am thinking that i shouldn't clean up their mess either? my boy is usually very tidy in this department but i think they are both going everywhere! which is hard to ignore. I think she loves him to peices, she has never had bunny contact and is so tiny I think he keeps her nice and warm. Oh how i hate hobby breeders. It took me two bum baths and several days of gentle combing to get all the tufts of rubbish off her tail and unmatt her coat. She was left with just bare tail but it is beginning to grow back thank goodness. She is looking fatter and fluffier and is a very sweet little netherland dwarf. When i had her i was told that she didn't do anything but just sit there. It's hard to imagine such ignorance. Eventually i will post a picture. Thank you for your help and asking how they got on.

Well done for rescuing her. I wouldn't rush the move into a bigger space. I would make sure they are securely bonded before you give them more space, though you can always go back a step to the pen if you feel the bond is breaking down.

I wouldn't empty the litter trays/clean up either. They need to get their scents all mixed up to stop one of them becoming territorial. It sounds like it's going well.

Brilliant - its so good to see a bonding go well isn't it?

She sounds like you got your hands on her in time - she must be in seventh heaven now. Be great to see pics once they're settled.

I agree with everything you've suggested i.e. don't clean up too soon, and probably wait for the garden a bit longer - it'll be worth the wait!

Back