• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible to add a male to a male female pair?????? I have been the pet police

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I have a question about bonding a male with my already male and female pair, but first--

I have been a tad naughty today and conviscated a young male rabbit and 2 guinea pigs (kept seperate) from my younger brother and his fiancees home.

It sounds terrible of me, but here's why

They were renting my nans house until it was put on the market to sell, and they had to find another place to live, They have almost moved everything except they left the animals behind, till last ????????? WHY
Anyway the rabbit has been covered over in it's hutch for a week now, my mum has already been down to the house this week and has gone mad at them as they had no food or hay,
We went down today to see if they had took them to the new house , but they were still there, no hay ,food, and filthy hutch and cage.
The animals are fine and have not suffered at all, but I was furious, so I said thats it I'm taking them.

My mum text them to say that we had confiscated them until they can learn to look after them properly.
So I am now an animal thief ooops
Anyway they can hardly take care of themselves let alone pets.

If they don't want them back (which i have a feeling they won't) can I eventually bond a male with my male female pair, I am expecting a big NO NO can't be done, but need some advice, The rabbit is only about 14 weeks, he is def a boy, and not yet neutered.

He is now settled into a nice hutch and run chatting to my two who are positioned beside him.

Luckily I had spare hutches for both rabbit and guinea pigs.
Any advice guys

Last edited:
Well done on take them, and looking after them!!

Never say never!

There are some on here with trios. But first little boy will need to be neutered! and pass the 4 week mark, to let his hormones subside.

Personally I think it is all down to the personailities of the buns and how you introduce them.

well if i do keep him, I would keep them as neighbours for quite a while first, and of course I would get him neutered.
Hubby is not impressed with me for taking them, and he won't be happy if I keep them either. Oh well he'll come round lol.

It depends entirely on the individual buns. It might work, just leave it a good 6 weeks or so after neutering until you try!

I have a male /female bonded pair of Conti's and introduced another male with no problems (we wasn't a 100% sure it would work as the Single male was supposedly aggessive to his previous female partner), it really does depend on the rabbits and as lottielouise said never say never:D

I've just bonded a young male to my existing male/female pair. It was a bit tense at first, but it can be done if the bunnies are right.

I recently bonded a buck with a buck and two doe's that were already bonded. It was very difficult and took five weeks. If you would have seen them on day one you probably would have said not a chance but i think as long as you can get the new bun to be submissive then the alpha will eventually stop being aggressive. Good luck.

I agree with the others, get to know the buns and build a repore with them first, once the buck is neutered (i presume your does are already done) and his hormones have settled then we can help with any advise you need. I have bonded 2 bucks and 2 does as a four, it took over 5 weeks for them to be a completely relaxed four and for me not to worry about leaving them. It was soooo worth it though :)

It's great to hear that there is hope.
I may not get to keep him but am secretly hoping I can, he is enjoying the interaction through the run with my other two, If he goes back to my brothers I think he will be a very lonely bunny. So fingers crossed for me guys.

I will keep you updated and if I do get to be his mummy I will ask you all for some great bonding advice
Thanks

I hope you get to keep this bunny and the piggies, their previous life sounds awful:(. Good luck with the bonding.

Like the others say, it very much depends on the personality of each bunny. I have recently bonded a male/female pair with a female/female pair (lucky chap) and it went really well and they all get on well.

I am currently in the process of bonding two male/female pairs and it is actually one of the females that is being stubborn. I am doing it gradually and they are getting better, so time will tell !!! All I think about is that they were difficult pairs to get together in the first place but now get on great so hopefully with perceverence anything can be achieved !!!:D

It can do, but you'll need to keep an eye on them to check it doesn't turn in differed aggression. Sometimes if a bun can get at the bun they are after they take it out on the partner.

If you want to see pics of a newly bonded 2 male 1 female trio I've just put pics in the picture section.

Thank you. It was a bit hard going at first. The harlequin has poor vision and is easily startled. He didn't really understand the other buns wanted to say hi so kept running away. He found it pretty stressful. But now after a couple of weeks my little girl has won him round with lots of grooming. He is still wary of the Lionhead as he is top bun so grooming is beneath him but we are getting there. No big fights anyway thankfully.

Hi all,
Just wanted to update you all,
I am keeping the Rabbit and two guinea pigs that I confiscated, They have settled in well, Marley the Rabbit is getting neutered next Wednesday, and I will soon be looking for advice on the best way to go about bonding him with my other male and female pair.

Back