• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it fine for rabbits and guinea pigs to share the same run?

the buns you are getting are not neutered yet there is nothing wrong in seeing if an rspca group near you could help you, im sure not all vets charge the same where you are too, there are a few members on here, from around you area, some people even have 2 vets, say one for vax and one for operations,

i am feeling strongly at your constant referrance to money though, children, and teenagers are not cheap are they, if you have an animal, that you love its part of the family no matter the cost,

im a little concerned at the advice you have been given by your rescue... if im correctly reading your posts.... they said you should walk them to a pen every few days? not vaccinate against myxi as homeopathy vaccs will do, not to do vhd and no need to spay....personally i would find another rescue i believe there are several good ones in yokshire how about getting a run for your piggies at your house and having the run at your mums for the rabbits?
if you have a good vet and feed them a good diet (85%hay/grass with small amount of high fibre pellets(over 14%) and a nvariety of veg(albeit all food should be changed or introduced very slowly) and they are kept in fox proofed(as much as possible) enclosures vaccinated and spayed your buns should lovie around 8-14 years. this is a normal lifespan for a rabbit im sorry you have only ever had them live to 2yrs this is very sad, when they have their ops they should be allwoed to receover together if already bonded and travel in the same carier at all times, also never seperate them unless of cours efighting as this can break the bond.
a rabbit can get many issues but the problems with them are beign prey animals they hide thier pain as best they can, so symptoms of an unwell bunnys are being "not themselves" "hunching up" " grinding their teeth (please note this is differnet to tooth purring which is done when happy) and going off their food is SERIOUS. a major consideration when these buns are spayed is that they receive proper pain relief adn are allowed to eat right up until the operation and get them eating again as ssoon as possible after.
£75 for a female spay is quite good price actually and usually includes a free check up after too, make sure you allow two weeeks between vaccs and between vaccs and spay. its very hard for a vet to say they dont see vhd in their area unless they do a post mortom on any rabbit that dies as it is a silent kilelr and usually has no or little side affects, sadly byy not vaccinating you are leaving open to that risk.

the buns you are getting are not neutered yet there is nothing wrong in seeing if an rspca group near you could help you,
My family get no discounts on nothin’, we’re rich.
k015.gif
The rich pay full price for everything and qualify for nothin’.
k015.gif
I don’t think there’s any point in me even asking, besides the nearest RSPCA place is in Bradford and that’s miles away.
a050.gif

im sure not all vets charge the same where you are too, there are a few members on here, from around you area, some people even have 2 vets, say one for vax and one for operations,
We’re registered at two vets and swap and see as many different vet people as possible looking for one that’s decent. The cost at each practice is practically the same, it’s just slightly cheaper on jabs at the nearest one though. There is another vets that we haven’t tried nearby though which when it comes to spaying time we’ll get a price for but then do we want them to operate when we know nothing about them and how good they are?
k020.gif
The nearest vets to us do spays for £76, the other vets further away say it’s £67 with cost of drugs added so they’re about the same. When my dead bunny Henry had ops I’d check prices at both places and they were the same near enough, well we’d get rough quotes, neither could be exact on costs. In fact the furthest away place told me costs of jabs yesterday, I phoned from work, at night my call from the night before got returned and I was given a different price of jabs.
k015.gif
Not much different but that’s weird.
e021.gif

i am feeling strongly at your constant referrance to money though, children, and teenagers are not cheap are they, if you have an animal, that you love its part of the family no matter the cost,
I don’t have children or teenagers, they’re horrible,
g014.gif
no way would I ever want one of those.
c050.gif
I’m saving myself a fortune with my lifestyle avoiding loser men and babies, I’m quite happy with something fluffy instead.
n010.gif
& yeah, I’m amazingly tight-fisted.
k015.gif
My mum is too but don’t worry, we’re getting the new bunnies spayed, my mum wants them doing for peace of mind.
g040.gif

im a little concerned at the advice you have been given by your rescue... if im correctly reading your posts.... they said you should walk them to a pen every few days?
Where I got my rodents from she said it’s good to walk them to the pen, yeah. It’s gotta be better than staying indoors in the same enclosure all their life right?
a050.gif

not vaccinate against myxi as homeopathy vaccs will do,
The rescue centre where I got my rodents from and dead rabbit Henry (he was alive when I got him
a035.gif
), the lady there said the cost of mixy jabs for all her rabbits was too much and that she believes homeopathic stuff helps build up their immunity to mixy. She said it isn’t as good as a jab but for how many rabbits she had it made sense. When I first went she had pens and hutches full of the things.
p010.gif
There’s not many there now though. Oh and she advised me to get Henry vaccinated for mixy, she made it clear he had some immunity to it but it didn’t mean he was fully protected.
g040.gif

not to do vhd
No one said that. The vets said it should be done but when I enquired if they bothered with their onw rabbits they said no so I risked not bothering with it in Henry’s last year. Dunno if my mum will have them done or not, I think not but she’s gonna ask all about it when we go to get the new buns vacinnated for mixy tomorrow. It’d be good to look at some stats of how many are killed by VHD in Yorkshire, I get a feeling not many but I often see mixy cases in wild bunnies.

and no need to spay
You’re getting me confused now.
k015.gif
I don’t think anyone said that.
a085.gif
I didn’t talk much about spaying at the first rescue centre when I chose Henry as it was irrelevant as he was male, I’ve never talked about it with vets, it’s just my mum and I presumed baby girls brought up together don’t fight, and that we’d risk the cancer thing as we weren’t aware of how a big risk of cancer not getting spayed is.
a050.gif
The rescue place we’re getting the bunnies from haven’t mentioned at all that they’ll need to be spayed later. Maybe they’re going to do that just after they’ve taken the money and the bunnies are in the car.
c050.gif
£150 is enough to put people off taking them ain’t it?
k015.gif

....personally i would find another rescue i believe there are several good ones in yokshire
Too late, we’re getting these ones, my mum wants them.
g040.gif

how about getting a run for your piggies at your house and having the run at your mums for the rabbits?
You mean sharing a portable run?
c028.gif
Naa, the more I think about the rodents and rabbits coming into contact with one another the more I think about cross contamination and diseases.
c045.gif
For example my mum wants me to clean the cat basket out so we can take the bunnies to the vets as she hasn’t had time to buy one for herself yet. The cat basket is in my rodents pen covered in dust from the hay and has a weed on bottom. It’s gonna take some serious cleaning. It would be such a bummer if we accidentally passed something horrible onto the baby rabbits before we’d even got them to her house.
c050.gif
I’m defo gonna have to turf my veg patch and get either a fence around it or mesh ark. I’ve gotta watch for cats though if it’s a fence, they love hanging around in the back gardens trying to kill birds.
c055.gif

if you have a good vet and feed them a good diet (85%hay/grass with small amount of high fibre pellets(over 14%) and a nvariety of veg(albeit all food should be changed or introduced very slowly)
I sure hope they eat hay, Henry never did and he was always a very sickly rabbit.
a010.gif
Tell me.... is it essential to buy Timothy Hay as well as bales of hay?
a015.gif
My rodents eat mainly bales of hay and there looks little difference between the two.
a050.gif

and they are kept in fox proofed(as much as possible) enclosures vaccinated and spayed your buns should lovie around 8-14 years.
They’d better not live to 14, they’re gonna exceed my mum and I’ll have to have them.
c050.gif

this is a normal lifespan for a rabbit im sorry you have only ever had them live to 2yrs this is very sad,
Henry was 4 but I had him 2 years and Bunny was approx 6 but we’d only been looking after him a couple of years.

when they have their ops they should be allwoed to receover together if already bonded and travel in the same carier at all times, also never seperate them unless of cours efighting as this can break the bond.
Good advise as I was wondering if it would be better take the bunnies to the vets in cardboard boxes than risk the rodent contaminated cat basket but they’d have had to be put into two because of the size of the boxes. I’ll wash that cat carrier out and stick them together then.
g040.gif

a rabbit can get many issues but the problems with them are beign prey animals they hide thier pain as best they can, so symptoms of an unwell bunnys are being "not themselves" "hunching up" " grinding their teeth (please note this is differnet to tooth purring which is done when happy) and going off their food is SERIOUS.
Well I know what to watch out for as both Bunny and Henry took several turns for the worse and looked like they’d die a few times, they didn’t hide it very well.
e015.gif
That’s one concern I have with my mum looking after the bunnies as she’s never been good at spotting things that are wrong with the bunnies.
e015.gif
I hope she never misses anything. I’ll be up on weekends to play with them though so I’ll obviously spot anything.
smiley1467.gif

a major consideration when these buns are spayed is that they receive proper pain relief adn are allowed to eat right up until the operation and get them eating again as ssoon as possible after.
On one of Henry’s back teeth ops they made him wait all day at the surgery, when he was away from home he was stressed and wouldn’t eat so he ain’t nothing all day then had his op. The next 5 days later he hardly touched anything and had to have all the injections to kick-start his digestive system again. I thought he might die that time but didn’t. Hopefully the two babys will be happier away from home and will eat on their own, Henry was just so stressed.
e015.gif

£75 for a female spay is quite good price actually and usually includes a free check up after too, make sure you allow two weeeks between vaccs and between vaccs and spay.
They can’t be spayed ‘til they’re 4 –6 months, they’re only still 14 weeks approx so that’s not a worry. & yeah, they do a free after op check, at least they always have in the past so I presume they still do.

its very hard for a vet to say they dont see vhd in their area unless they do a post mortom on any rabbit that dies as it is a silent kilelr and usually has no or little side affects, sadly byy not vaccinating you are leaving open to that risk.
Yeah. But I thought bunnies bled from the eyes and nose just before death?
a015.gif
If that happened to bunnies people would be bound to think it’s that wouldn’t they?
a050.gif

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Yorkshire
this list of rescues in yoru area may well help you with your descisions :) x
I was thinking for a moment that this is a case of dejavou as someone has just given me that link.
k015.gif
It was on a guinea pig site though, they’re urging me to give up my rodents again.
k015.gif
& where I got Henry and my rodents from is listed from there BTW. Where the new bunnies are coming from isn’t listed though.
g040.gif

Thanks for that, I'll print it out later for my mum. :p It says having a male and female together is by far the easiest, crumbs, what are we doing?
087.gif
:lol: Oh heck, I hope they get on when they're older.
105.gif

I have 3 girls together in my bonded group of 5 and they get on fine. It can and does work with 2 females it's just that a male and female combination has the best success rate.

Good luck :wave:

Back