• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is eating lots of apple tree bark safe?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
A friend recently cut down an apple tree and has given me loads of branches which the rabbits love chewing and scratching, but I've noticed they're actually swallowing the bark (and getting through it very quickly). Should I limit the branches or is it safe?

A friend recently cut down an apple tree and has given me loads of branches which the rabbits love chewing and scratching, but I've noticed they're actually swallowing the bark (and getting through it very quickly). Should I limit the branches or is it safe?

Yes, demolishing apple branches, bark and all, is perfectly safe :D

The only reason to limit them is so that they don't neglect their forage and hay etc ... So I guess a few at a time?

Mine love it too. I'd say feed to their hearts content. Its very high in lignen and excellent for digestive health

With rabbits, feeding lots of anything apart from hay has to be done with caution. So a few at a time I would say. :thumb:

My rabbits have a lot of tree leaves every day and they have always got apple or other safe bark to eat.

My rabbits also don't know the meaning of moderation in this regard ;)

I'd give them as much as they want. No need to limit the amount unless you see negative changes in faeces.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Aw great thanks everyone :D My friend kept absolutely loads so hopefully they won't run out for a while, she brings me a few branches (well more like logs to be honest they're very heavy) in a bag to lectures whenever I run out :lol:

Back