• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new member of our family. U/D Post 30

I'm so chuffed you all approve of her home! It's brilliant watching her run from end to end and having so much space to dig. The fact it has glass sides and the megazorb doesn't come flying out constantly is fabulous.

I had a sad thought. Her home is 5 feet long. Some people keep bunnies in homes 2 feet shorter than that.:cry::cry:

I'm so chuffed you all approve of her home! It's brilliant watching her run from end to end and having so much space to dig. The fact it has glass sides and the megazorb doesn't come flying out constantly is fabulous.

I had a sad thought. Her home is 5 feet long. Some people keep bunnies in homes 2 feet shorter than that.:cry::cry:

It really is sad :( I've also seen and adopted hammies in 1.5ft long cages. :cry:

Awesome :love: I love detolfs!

What size wheel does she have? If you want a flying saucer (both my syrians have loved theirs) then they're cheaper off amazon:D syrian sized so her back will be nice and straight :) Or when you get a lid then the 12inch karlie wheel (my syrian has this atm, soooo quiet!) fits nicely, Summer&Skye made a lid for her hammy's detolf I think and she has a really cool layout, the wheel is in the sandbath so fits perfectly :D

I really want a detolf one day.. I think my dwarfie Phoebe would love one!

Awesome :love: I love detolfs!

What size wheel does she have? If you want a flying saucer (both my syrians have loved theirs) then they're cheaper off amazon:D syrian sized so her back will be nice and straight :) Or when you get a lid then the 12inch karlie wheel (my syrian has this atm, soooo quiet!) fits nicely, Summer&Skye made a lid for her hammy's detolf I think and she has a really cool layout, the wheel is in the sandbath so fits perfectly :D

I really want a detolf one day.. I think my dwarfie Phoebe would love one!

She's got a flying saucer at the moment and I've ordered the 12'' silent spinner for her too. They only had the medium sized saucer in the shop but it will do her until her big wheel arrives. They only had small back bending wheels in the wee place we went to so the saucer was by far the best option.:D

She's got a flying saucer at the moment and I've ordered the 12'' silent spinner for her too. They only had the medium sized saucer in the shop but it will do her until her big wheel arrives. They only had small back bending wheels in the wee place we went to so the saucer was by far the best option.:D

I had a silent spinner, my dwarf has the 6.5inch along with her 6.5inch flying saucer, but we had to saw a bit off the 12 inch SS as at the time my syrian was in a zz2, so it wouldn't fit! :lol:

My first syrian had a 6.5inch flying saucer (I was told it would be fine :roll:) and her back went all funny :( I much prefer them to upright wheels though tbh, just because my hams always choose them :lol: I gave Apollo the karlie because he made such a racket with the 12inch 'silent' spinner and flying saucer but now he's with the rabbits in there room I might give him the FS back :lol: I hate the tiny wheels places sell :( like the ones in the mini dunas :(

I have started making some changes. There are some things being delivered this week so I will have more fun playing around with her set up then but for now I have created a megazorb free area for her water and milk so they don't get filled with bits!

20130825_204409.jpg

And a wee video of her. Please excuse the hyper kids in the background!!

Gorgeous hamster and setup!

Maybe a silly question- but where do hamsters come from? Are they wild anywhere?

Aww she is so cute, never thought of giving hamsters milk before...

It is something I found out a few hamsters ago. She only has it a few hours a day in case it goes off but they love it.

Gorgeous hamster and setup!

Maybe a silly question- but where do hamsters come from? Are they wild anywhere?

They come from deserts in Syria. They are very well adapted to the harsh, dry climate and burrow underground to keep cool during the day.:wave: The colours and different hair lengths have been bred through their years in captivity though.

I went and googled the set ups like you suggested, I now have a question how often would you need to clean them out be that a spot clean or a full pull apart clean.

Keep showing my bf the detolf, he said I can have one when we move out for a new hamster! Not that I need his permission :p :lol: Need to stop myself looking for rescue roborovskis now..!

rngwelfare, I don't have a detolf :)() but my hamster cages are 100cm x 50cm and the bases are completely filled with Fitch. I spot clean once a week, sand baths are sieved every 2/3 days (litter trained hamsters!) and full clean outs are every 5 months, maybe 6 months :D

They come from deserts in Syria. They are very well adapted to the harsh, dry climate and burrow underground to keep cool during the day.:wave: The colours and different hair lengths have been bred through their years in captivity though.

Thanks for the info... I've never even held/touched a hamster, I'm completely ignorant about them! :oops::wave:

I went and googled the set ups like you suggested, I now have a question how often would you need to clean them out be that a spot clean or a full pull apart clean.

Keep showing my bf the detolf, he said I can have one when we move out! Not that I need his permission :p :lol:

rngwelfare, I don't have a detolf :)() but my hamster cages are 100cm x 50cm and the bases are completely filled with Fitch. I spot clean once a week, sand baths are sieved every 2/3 days (litter trained hamsters!) and full clean outs are every 5 months, maybe 6 months :D

At £40 they are an absolute bargain compared to purpose made hamster homes!!

As Aly & Poppy says, it will mainly be spot cleaning every few days. Given how absorbent megazorb is and how little waste they produce it should be straightforward to spot clean. I have a bale of fitch coming so am going to use it for her nesting material and stick to megazorb on the floor for a while. At the moment her nest is made of strips of toilet roll.:lol: Previous hammies have had habtrail type homes with miles of tunnes and plastic compartments. They were a nightmare to take apart and clean and I vowed that the next hammie in the house would have a tank-type home.

I don't even buy bedding anymore, Fitch is amazing! Phoebe loves it the most, she makes excellent tunnels and has 3 bedrooms :lol:

Thanks for the info... I've never even held/touched a hamster, I'm completely ignorant about them! :oops::wave:

They are amazing little beasties, so cute to watch and so funny in their antics. I got my first when I was 14 and have had them ever since. There have been a couple of years since Splodgy, our last girl died so I am loving having our new friend, even if officially she is my sons. Hasn't stopped me buying toys etc for her!:oops:

Back