• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Intelligent rabbits

esme is way too clever (for me:oops:). very curious and often fearless. she always seems one step ahead of me in many ways - it comes across as 'naughty' i suppose but i just laugh as she's so bright and her instincts amaze me.

eric is also clever. he knows its good for him to eat his own poop:D

i think that i can communicate really well with eric though - :lol: says a lot about me eh?:oops:

I don't think it's all routine. I think routine helps, but me and the lops don't have a set time for stuff but they still know that if I walk towards the wardrobe that food is likely. Before we go away they know, i guess from all the increased activity while packing, and tend to get more affectionate.

rabbits who can figure out that the way to a food bowl or some other thing is not necessarily the direct way (ie when there is a glass door or something between it and them) are intelligent.

Also ones that have good memory for patterns of events (carrier out means vet trip so ignore treats and go into hiding).

rabbits who can figure out that the way to a food bowl or some other thing is not necessarily the direct way (ie when there is a glass door or something between it and them) are intelligent.

Also ones that have good memory for patterns of events (carrier out means vet trip so ignore treats and go into hiding).

Smudge does the later and the lops do the former :lol::lol::lol:

that makes eric a genius then:D

I don't have a door between the kitchen and front room and E.b is not allowed I'n the kitchen. He knows never to cross the silver line. My friend could not believe it as he would just sit behind the line and wait, she tried to see if he would cross it for his favourite treat, he stretched his head over the line as far as he could but when he released his front paws were about to go over he sat back down and waited. Makes mr smile every time when we play chase and he's chases me and slams his brakes on when I go I'n to the kitchen.

When he was really little he tried to climb the stairs and I said no as was worried he was so small hed fit through the gaps ( have metel spiral stair case) and he never tried again but recently when I go up stairs I take him up with me and let him run round and he Getz a treat for being good whilst I carry him up. Today he decided he was now big enough to be allowed to go up the stairs by himself and when I went to find him he was sat on my bed looking at me as if to say hurry up where have u been I want my treats please. He had managed to find the treat bag and was waiting patiently by it. He's my clever boy

I would say indicators of intelligence are;
learning a routine (ie, 10am is veg time)
learning words (ie, "beg" and they periscope)
puzzle solving. (ie, working out how to open a box)

As a general rule, the quicker the rabbit can do those things the smarter it is.

However, I'd say they all need the right motivation. I'd say my rambo is smarter than Eli, but because Eli is so highly motivated by food he tends to pick things up quickly to get it whereas Rambo wants to do things more on her own terms.
She might understand "beg" but food isn't enough motivation for her to do it 100% of the time, whereas Eli will often be cycling through the things he gets treats for before I've said anything because he's so keen to get the food.
When there is no obvious motivation, just their own curiosity, Rambo is much quicker to do things like open boxes, unhook run panels and work out how to get places.

Some bunnies are intelligent, some are very intelligent and some are BLONDE!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Apologies to those of you who are blonde.....you no doubt understand what I mean.:oops::oops::oops::oops:

This is all so interesting, thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Thumper, what was the Prof of Neuroscience commenting on Thumper doing when he said it was a very complex thought process?

BattleKat I find your comments really interesting about Rambo and Eli and I can certainly recognise that in my bunnies. You're right, you have to make the distinction on their motivation: In your case between whether they're doing it on their own terms or only for food etc.

Maybe it's the case then, that it's not the buns we interact with best that are the most intelligent. I have understanding and "eye contact" with all my boy bunnies where I know what they want and they know what I want. I've always thought that was intelligence, but maybe that's just a connection with an animal.

Penelope is the most restless, busy and naughty (and the biggest.) Is there a connection, do you think, to Contis and French lops being more intelligent?

Thumper, what was the Prof of Neuroscience commenting on Thumper doing when he said it was a very complex thought process?

BattleKat I find your comments really interesting about Rambo and Eli and I can certainly recognise that in my bunnies. You're right, you have to make the distinction on their motivation: In your case between whether they're doing it on their own terms or only for food etc.

Maybe it's the case then, that it's not the buns we interact with best that are the most intelligent. I have understanding and "eye contact" with all my boy bunnies where I know what they want and they know what I want. I've always thought that was intelligence, but maybe that's just a connection with an animal.

Penelope is the most restless, busy and naughty (and the biggest.) Is there a connection, do you think, to Contis and French lops being more intelligent?

i was going to say no as essie is tiny but i just watched her scoffing one of my hostas and obviously the tastiest bit was too high - she stretched so much, she fell over:roll::lol:

I do agility and jumping with mine, and some pick it up much quicker than others, I see the ones who do pick up things very fast as more intelligent I guess. Harley for example, if you get him to do something and reward him for it, that's it, learnt, you just add a hand gesture or command to it. His partner Flash just looks at me :lol:

I told him That Thumper had just made his 1st sentence but his grammar wasn't very good. :lol:
He ran round my feet shaking his hamster toy = "with you play". To emphasise play he pulled at his cat toy with a bell on it ringing the bell loudly several times ="PLAY" then went to the lounge door & periscoped towards the door handle.
Put together he'd "said" "I want to play with you in the lounge; open the door please". He was only about 16 weeks old & I'd had him for about a month.

He had to work out that although I didn't "speak rabbit", I was an intelligent being, & motivated to interact with him. HE worked out that I watched him a lot, & invented miming what he wanted as a method of communication + various ways to get me to look at him. By this stage I reckoned he knew about 60 of my words & phrases, & the alarm calls of at least 12 different bird species too.

To imagine myself in the equivalent of his situation I wondered how I'd get on if kidnapped by aliens, who communicated in a totally different way from me & whisked me to an alien planet without any humans.
I think rabbit won!

Pie definitely knows the word "NO" if I say it in a warning tone.
She also figured out that if she jumped over her pen (that is covered with a blanket at night), hopped along a raised platform/skirting board and squeezed/jumped into the over pen (also covered by another blanket) she could get into 'her' pen - Obie was in the pen I usually keep Pie in over night and she obviously saw that as her pen so decided she wanted to get in there.

That and various other things that have happend show me that she can plan and have actual tangible thought processes about what will happen if she does certain things in certain ways.

I think they are creatures of habit..

In the mornings, they KNOW it is noms time. They nearly kill me on the way downstairs trying to get to the food bowl.

If I sleep with the door closed, they scratch the door until I let them in so they can get under the bed.

As soon as sit on the bed they go under it and go to sleep.

They know the fridge has noms in. They follow me to it.

The also follow me up and down the stairs.

They know the sound of the treat jar being shaked and come running.

Back