• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Instead of laying a base- do i just plonk this on the grass and then put my slabs on?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
http://www.gardeningthoughts.co.uk/acatalog/Hawklok_Shed_Base_6x4.html

I can't do the whole excavating the ground thing. This seems my kind of thing. I'm still deciding what else i can do with the garden. I am buying a 6ft x2ft double hutch from lynne at animal magic and i was thinking i have another £200 that i can spend then on either keeping willow palace and putting it as an outdoor hutch, then attaching a 6ft x 4ft run to that also. I could board up the sides too so the 3ft x 3ft area they would be sleeping in was made into a 6ft x 3ft area.

Is this base system as simple as it looks, has anyone used anything like this. I'm totally non diy, so if it's more complex i'd rather know in advance of purchasing it.

Do i just put the slabs down ontop equal to each other , do they need anything to hold them together or would they be fine just put down then start building a 6 x4 shed on top or playhouse or even this willow palace thing i bought.

I like the idea that i can always buy more of these slab things and upgrade the size of the shed at any point.

Thanks for the advice.

Ambience x

I would be interested to hear thoughts on this too....as I need to dig out an area for Pips new hutch & run (although for now it will go on our decking)...

The base that you show is for putting on grass and making into a flap area using stones / gravel which will also allow drainage. A shed then usually goes on top of this all.

If you build it tall enough with gravel you could put slabs on top of it, however this would be an expensive way of doing things. You would need to add sand and some cement to keep it all together.

I have just done mine, without cement.

the grass was level to begin with, so my brothers just put the sand on top of it, levelled that out with a piece of wood, then put the paving on top of it.

As it is only a shed, I was told by the bloke who laid my last one that you don't really need to spot cement the paving in place

Back