• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injury from another rabbit

Alicia

Mama Doe
So I unexpectedly gained another rabbit on Sunday, I’ve named him Frankie. I built him a separate pen in the shed and all was ok. Unfortunately the pen was not as secure as I’d thought and Jelly got in him with overnight on Wednesday night. I went to see them in the morning and he had some really nasty bite injuries :( I took him to the vet yesterday and he’s had to go back in today for stitches and it was quite a big job.

He’s eating fairly regularly, not wolfing it down but I’m keeping a close eye on him and he’s eating food from my hand so if need be I’ll just offer him food from my hand regularly and leave the bowl down in case he wants it. His poos are quite good, started off small but over the last couple of hours they’re a lot bigger and more golden so he’s obviously eating some hay. He’s back at the vets on Monday to be checked, the vet was concerned he’d nibble at his stitches, so far he hasn’t but we’ve made a kind of loose cover to make it a bit harder if he does decide to chew at them, I’m not sure whether to leave it off if he’s not nibbling at them.

Any other suggestions? He’s had an antibiotic injection, a gut stimulant and I have painkillers to give him every 12 hours. He’s now in a small pen in our bedroom, where it’s dark and quiet. He’s only a baby, I feel like the worst owner in the world and I can’t shake off this guilt. I brought him here wanting to give him the best life I could and this is not a good start at all. The vet we go to is excellent and is really good with rabbits and I have every faith in him but I just feel like I’ve failed Frankie and I don’t know what I should do next.

There is not much else you can do other than closely monitor his input and output, check the wounds regularly to make sure that he isn’t chewing at the sutures and that the wounds remain looking clean and dry. Be vigilant re Flystrike too.

I assume the antibiotic given was a long acting one given by injection if you were not given an ongoing supply to administer daily for 7-10 days ?

Back