• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indicators of being lonely/depressed.....

Becca24

Mama Doe
just wondered if you might be able to point out to me any signs, specific behaviour that may indicate a rabbit is lonely, stresses, depressed etc.

Pip is a 1 year old neutered male currently living alone and despite my intention to bond him, he is still single, which isnt ideal and now that his accommodation in the new house is not what he was used to in the old house (a 10x8 shed with attached run) I am starting to worry a little!

His behaviour has changed insofar as I can pick him up and have cuddles whereas before there is no way Pip would let me pick him up, he had to be transported everywhere in his carrier! Sooooo does this indicate any lonliness??

I have felt so awful with everything that happened with Fizz (some of you will e aware of everything that went on) that I just dont want to messs up any more that I already have!

I have looked into adopting a speyed female for Pip but I feel it would really be a process in that he would need to be tried with them first before me adopting etc and the other problem is the only accommodation I have at the moment is the 5x5x2 hutch with attached run so I dont even meets rescues requirements. Not sure I have any options at the moment! :cry:

But it would be handy to know what to look for in Pip because at least if I know he is relatively happy at the moment then that makes me feel a bit better!

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Becca
x

I thought you meant lonely/depressed people - I was going to say "me" *sigh*. Hope someone helps you with the bun :wave:

he can't really miss what he's never had :wave: it sounds like he's getting a lot of human interaction. I noticed although mine were happier when bonded they never seemed depressed beforehand, they were content enough :wave:

I guess signs of unhappiness would be lethargy, maybe regular ileus/stasis? Sorry I can't be more help x

he can't really miss what he's never had :wave: it sounds like he's getting a lot of human interaction. I noticed although mine were happier when bonded they never seemed depressed beforehand, they were content enough :wave:

I guess signs of unhappiness would be lethargy, maybe regular ileus/stasis? Sorry I can't be more help x

:wave:

I see what you mean about not missing what he never had! He never really liked human interaction when he was living in the shed next to Fizz's hutch/run but since moving and no Fizz he is far happier to be picked up etc, and I am not sure why this is.

Thanks for replying! :)

After Peggy sadly went to the Bridge, Sue was lonely and depressed. She lost interest in her noms, didn't want to bother to come out of her hutch and tended to sit in one spot. She also bit me once when I picked her up, which was completely out of character for her. Her face and posture were sad. She was a very miserable bun.

Since bonding her with Molly, Munchkin and Dylan she rushes to the food dish as soon as it appears, jumps out of her hutch and explores the run and is generally a brighter, happier bunny. She also doesn't bite me when I pick her up.

I think a lonely, depressed bun may lose their inquisitive nature, their enthusiasm and interest in food and generally their 'bunniness'. It's horrible to see:(

I think a lonely, depressed bun may lose their inquisitive nature, their enthusiasm and interest in food and generally their 'bunniness'. It's horrible to see

Yes, much like an ill bun. I was worried about Sooty after Muppet died (as she's never been on her own before) but, she's been fine. She's been ill too, when she hasnt been "fine" but when she's well she's full of 'bunniness'. But her behaviour has changed since she's been on her own, eg, she seeks out my company which she didnt before, but these are not necessarily 'bad' things. She's enthusiastic about her food, binkys in the garden and enjoys company.

I know my bun is lonely because he runs up to see me when I come home. He's also always jumping on me or doing something (sometimes destructive) to get my attention. He's not unhappy, he just isnt getting the attention 24/7 a friend would provide. I dont know whether you would notice these things if the bun was outside though.

Can you not bring him indoors? It must be very lonely by yourself all day long, only seeing someone twice a day (I assume this is average for outside buns) but if he was indoors he'd see you all the time you were home.

I think a lonely, depressed bun may lose their inquisitive nature, their enthusiasm and interest in food and generally their 'bunniness'. It's horrible to see:(

Rhianna sums it up perfectly for me.

Before Ginger arrived, i felt very much that Biscuit was suffering from being depressed, and lonely.

He wouldnt run around much. We never saw binkies.

He'd hop to the litter tray, sit and eat his dinner. That was the only time we saw him 'excited' as such, was at food time. He's very food orinted.

Once he'd eaten, he'd hop back to a place in his pen, or if free-range, a particular place in the living room and just flop, but it wouldnt be a happy flop. It would be what i call a 'sigh' flop. He'd always snuggle up to my slippers. It was the closest thing to comfort he could get that was fluffy and not-human.

His head would instantly be pushed flush to the floor and he'd be looking like he was perhaps thinking "why am i here? Is this all that life holds for me?"

This was that look;

P1010412-resized.jpg

He also slowed down on licking both my OH and I, and he LOVES to do that.

He very much stopped being 'bunny'. Its an absolutely horrible site to see, and thats why Ginger arriving couldnt come soon enough. I despair the day it happens again, if / when it does.

No idea if that helps you at all. Just my take on it.

Back