• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incomplete spay?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone had experience with tissue left behind from a spay? Bigwig was hand reared by myself, spayed last January at 6 months old so is now about a year and a half. Last February she was bonded with my older pair (Jake and Jasmine) who will be 6 this year. It was a straight forward bond, with Bigwig being a bit bossy at times.

She showed no hormonal behaviours prior to her spay. Last year a few months apart she built a couple of nests, wasn't defensive over them but was grunting over pellets and chasing Jake and Jasmine away from food. Within a couple of days she was fine again and ignoring the nests. The past few days her behaviour has been awful, she's on a mission to shred the lino and the carpet underneath that the lino was supposed to protect! They have free access to a large room and she is ignoring her dig box/forage toys but being very destructive elsewhere. I've found she has always got bored easily and does need a lot of enrichment. She's grunting a lot at us and Jake and Jasmine, and has been fighting when we go in/over food. She has been trying to hump Jake but he won't have it where a chase/fur pull will then break out. I've not seperated yet but set up a camera and all seems ok until we go in the room which sets Bigwig off. She's been boxing us and out of nowhere will run and latch onto our legs/my back if I am bent down and bite hard.

When she built the nests they all had a check up at the vets but because I'd put the heating on we decided it may be confused, spring fever type behaviour. Now however I'm sure she has a hormonal problem. She's booked in tomorrow but the vet has only mentioned opening her up to check for left over tissue which in the vets opinion she wouldn't want to do unless necessary, but her behaviour is really bad and poor Jake and Jasmine are on edge around her. She's young and I trust my vets GA techniques.

Has anyone has any experience of this? In the case of tissue being left behind did the vets cover ant of the bill (she was spayed at this same vets)? I appreciate it's not the vets fault but I'm not sure her insurance would cover it as they may class it as a reproductive problem.

Anyone had experience with tissue left behind from a spay? Bigwig was hand reared by myself, spayed last January at 6 months old so is now about a year and a half. Last February she was bonded with my older pair (Jake and Jasmine) who will be 6 this year. It was a straight forward bond, with Bigwig being a bit bossy at times.

She showed no hormonal behaviours prior to her spay. Last year a few months apart she built a couple of nests, wasn't defensive over them but was grunting over pellets and chasing Jake and Jasmine away from food. Within a couple of days she was fine again and ignoring the nests. The past few days her behaviour has been awful, she's on a mission to shred the lino and the carpet underneath that the lino was supposed to protect! They have free access to a large room and she is ignoring her dig box/forage toys but being very destructive elsewhere. I've found she has always got bored easily and does need a lot of enrichment. She's grunting a lot at us and Jake and Jasmine, and has been fighting when we go in/over food. She has been trying to hump Jake but he won't have it where a chase/fur pull will then break out. I've not seperated yet but set up a camera and all seems ok until we go in the room which sets Bigwig off. She's been boxing us and out of nowhere will run and latch onto our legs/my back if I am bent down and bite hard.

When she built the nests they all had a check up at the vets but because I'd put the heating on we decided it may be confused, spring fever type behaviour. Now however I'm sure she has a hormonal problem. She's booked in tomorrow but the vet has only mentioned opening her up to check for left over tissue which in the vets opinion she wouldn't want to do unless necessary, but her behaviour is really bad and poor Jake and Jasmine are on edge around her. She's young and I trust my vets GA techniques.

Has anyone has any experience of this? In the case of tissue being left behind did the vets cover ant of the bill (she was spayed at this same vets)? I appreciate it's not the vets fault but I'm not sure her insurance would cover it as they may class it as a reproductive problem.

I have the nesting problem with Clementine, going to discuss with my Vet, she's not like on a rampage to destroy everything though, Clementine is pretty chill.. Bossy and definitely an alpha female type bun, but she always was anyway, she's fine behaviour wise imo, it's just the nesting that worries me a bit.

So no advice really, will be watching the thread to see if anyone has experienced this though :)

Hope you can get it sorted x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you! Yeah I wasn't too concerned after the first nest or so, as her behaviour didn't change apart from being a bit aggressive over pellets. But her behaviour now is something else!

Hand reared Rabbits can sometimes develop behavioural problems as adults, including apparent 'hormonal behaviour'.

Adrenal gland hyperplasia can cause hormonal behaviour in neutered Rabbits, although it is rare and usually effects older neutered Bucks.

https://rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexhormones.html

https://www.bsavalibrary.com/content/chapter/10.22233/9781910443446.ch05sec4

https://www.researchgate.net/public...a_Cause_of_Hypertestosteronism_in_Two_Rabbits

There is also an article by Elisabetta Mancineli about the condition in pdf form on the Vet Times website. Cant post the link on here but you should find it if you Google ' Rabbit Adrenal Disease'

As I said though, the condition is rare and I'd be very surprised if it were the issue for Bigwig. I would think an incomplete spay would be far more likely, especially as she was not showing any hormonal behaviour BEFORE her spay.

Thank you for the links :)

Vet says she wouldn't rule out an incomplete spay, but thinks it best to seperate and see if Bigwig will calm down with a calm environment and lot's of enrichment. Whilst at the vets I felt some marks on Bigwig's skin and they are bite marks, so I think it's right to seperate. So far Jake is much more relaxed, Jasmine is still on edge but likely from her vet trip too as she went for a Vac4Life check up. Bigwig has been calm so far and doesn't seem distressed to be seperated.

Back