• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In desperate need of help

My rabbit is 12 weeks old, she chews everything in sight.
I've tried telling her 'no' firmly
I've tried picking her up and moving her away from the object, but she just goes back to it or chews something else. I've heard that getting them done will stop destructive behaviour like this. You can get them done at 6 months but vets reccomend 8 months, so we will be waiting until she is 8 months. So any advice in the mean time would be appreciated.

On a night, she starts digging at my floor, every single night. I've tried telling her 'no' firmly, I chase her from the spot she's digging at and I sometimes hold her. Holding her stops it for a while so my guess is shes doing it for attention, but if i keep holding her, she'll do it all the more and I can,t keep picking her up at 5am every morning.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a picture of my little terror Daisy!
424a179e4946f7bdb01190f850f033d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Hello there. Do you give your bunny lots of hay? Hay is a comfort for rabbits, it gives them something to do and as they are grazing animals chewing is second nature. Hay also encourages them to become litter trained so put some in the litter tray. Digging is a natural behaviour for a rabbit and some rabbits want to dig more than others. Female rabbits can be spayed at 6 months of age - why your Vet has recommended 8 months I do not know. What breed is she? Spaying will definitely curb her digging but might not stop her altogether. Rabbits need a friend also - are you hoping to be able to find one later on?

Hello there. Do you give your bunny lots of hay? Hay is a comfort for rabbits, it gives them something to do and as they are grazing animals chewing is second nature. Hay also encourages them to become litter trained so put some in the litter tray. Digging is a natural behaviour for a rabbit and some rabbits want to dig more than others. Female rabbits can be spayed at 6 months of age - why your Vet has recommended 8 months I do not know. What breed is she? Spaying will definitely curb her digging but might not stop her altogether. Rabbits need a friend also - are you hoping to be able to find one later on?
Yes, she has a constant supply of hay, fresh water and pellets, as do our 5 guinea pigs. She also has hay in her litter box, however i think she is bored as she keeps tossing her litter box across the cage, she only started doing this yesterday, so I'm going to look into getting her some new toys, she has lots already but i think she needs a change.

She is supposed to be a dwarf lop, however i think she is more like a giant lop as she is huge for only 11 weeks old and her back feet are enormous.

The vet didn't recommend getting her done at 8 months - i was looking up on the Internet how old they have to be and it's what it said on the RSPCA website.

Yes, she has a constant supply of hay, fresh water and pellets, as do our 5 guinea pigs. She also has hay in her litter box, however i think she is bored as she keeps tossing her litter box across the cage, she only started doing this yesterday, so I'm going to look into getting her some new toys, she has lots already but i think she needs a change.

She is supposed to be a dwarf lop, however i think she is more like a giant lop as she is huge for only 11 weeks old and her back feet are enormous.

The vet didn't recommend getting her done at 8 months - i was looking up on the Internet how old they have to be and it's what it said on the RSPCA website.

Tomorrow when she turns 3 months, I am giung to start introducing her to a bit of fruit or veg, as they have to be 3 months before they can have fruit or veg

Hello :wave:
Digging and chewing are natural behaviours for rabbits. My rabbits are neutered and still do it so I try to put in place things to reduce any damage.
They have lots of things to chew on - 'chill and chew' mats, willow balls, willow sticks etc. as well as plenty of fresh hay.
In terms of digging mine tend to this in corners of the room so I have put bathroom tiles on top of the carpet. They still dig in these places but it doesn't do any damage.
In addition they have toys - toilet rolls stuffed with hay and herbs, stacking cups (that toddlers have), empty boxes to hide in, jingle balls, Ikea (Duktig) beds to sit on.
Rabbits are smart and need to have things to play with otherwise they get bored and start destroying things.
I hope you can find a way to help your rabbit x

Sounds like normal rabbit behaviour to me :)

Does she have lots of space? She might like some kind of digging box if you don't have one already. Or sounds like she may need more than one! :lol:

She's beautiful :love:

eta: Has she had a vet check yet? Might be also worth ruling out anything health wise just incase :wave:

Sounds like normal rabbit behaviour to me :)

Does she have lots of space? She might like some kind of digging box if you don't have one already. Or sounds like she may need more than one! [emoji38]

She's beautiful :love:

eta: Has she had a vet check yet? Might be also worth ruling out anything health wise just incase :wave:
Shes got my entire bedroom to run around in when im with her, and when I'm not with her, i put her in a big run around her cage.

Back