• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In an emergency? Moving animals

Yes. I have four cats, one bunny and one guinea pig. A carry case for each of the small furries will suffice and I have cages suitable for quick moving of cats. We also have a car and a van, so fine for all to be removed quickly and safely, if need be. Yes, I have thought about these things! :oops:

Yes, we have enough carriers for all of them. Salt and Pepper would go in the same one, and we have on each for Daisy-Boo and Pippin also for Sonny, foster bunny.
Always a consideration for us.

We have three cars, one of which is a truck, so car space isn't an issue.

My dad keeps a dog crate in the back of his car, big enough for at least three of our dogs to fit. Ruby (our fourth dog) has her own crate in the kitchen and she could easily be shut in and lifted out to my mum's car.

The bun's live next to our shed, carriers are in the shed and I'm a bit of a pro at catching them. I'm looking to buy them a dog crate/very big carrier soon though so they can all go in together on vet trips or in an emergency.

If we had had a warning and had time to evacuate, it would be even easier.

I have just discussed it further with the other half regarding fire. We have 3 storeys - the guinea and bunny are on the 1st floor (middle floor) in our kitchen. The cats, if they were on the stairs to the ground floor have a hole in the wall to get to the kitchen or a flap downstairs to get outside - depending on where the fire is. Now, there's a door at the top of the stairs into the kitchen (the cats hole in the wall is there too) and there's a door between the kitchen and the living room and both are fire doors. So, if the fire is downstairs, the cats should be able to escape either outside or upstairs with us and we should be able to get everyone else to the living room to escape via the front window with time to spare!
Or... If the fire is upstairs then going out should be a breeze, again closing the fire doors behind us.

I may have overthought this... :lol::oops:

I've often thought about 'living on the road' with bunnies. I guess the hardest bit would be finding unlimited hay or grass for them. :(

Fire really scares me and the thought of Murphy being hurt or killed :(

Something a fireman told me has always stayed with me - when they open the front door to a burning house, the first thing that normally happens is the family cat or dog makes its escape and the openers can get hurt or killed looking for Tiddles. I guess animals like rabbits would probably succumb to smoke inhalation quite quickly :(:(:cry::cry: He also said fire spreads so quickly, you literally have a minute or two after the smoke alarm goes off, not to mention not wanting to open doors in a burning house... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

This thread has made me think and I am going to keep Murphy's carrier in his room rather than in the garage (or a pillowcase - genius!)

Last edited:
Back