• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In an emergency? Moving animals

As I've only got 2 animals, I'd wake my brother up (deep sleeper) first. Get rabbits into carrier accepting no wriggles or anything. Shove them in and run round the back of the house to the road. :)

BTW, when I say 'Shove them in', I mean put them in firmly. After all, a little shove is better than them burning to death! :)

I have an emergency plan, that we are all aware of in the house.

I have 8 carriers for all the buns, and they'd all go in the van. The dogs would go in the car along with the bird and the tort, provided I could get to them of course.

I have 6 buns (you could say 5 as two of them share a carrier) and 7 carriers, if it was an emergency though and I couldn't find all carriers I'd probably just have one on my knee in the car, Baby prefers to sit on my knee and watch out of the window than be in her carrier :roll:

2 of the buns are outside at the bottom of the garden in an aviary so they'd be ok

I'd get the 2 indoor buns - either in a carrier (which is in the rabbit room with them) or in a pillow case

Adam would get the cat (and then come and help me with the buns cos they're more of a pain to grab hold of than the dopey cat :lol: )

Sorted :)

We've got a car and a van and we'd all fit in either

My lops carrier now lives on the floor for htis reason, in a fire I can scoop them into it and shut the door. My lionheads carrier is also easily accessible, the problem with these two is that they are very hard to catch.

Vague plan would be scoop lops into carrier, hand carrier to parents, attempt to catch lionheads, if not possible open baby gate and hope they find safety.

I've never heard of putting them in pillow cases before :? :lol: Mine are all outside anyway next to the garage which all the carriers are in. Should the carriers have magically dissapeared, there are loads of cardboard boxes in there

this has always worried me :(

i have carry cases ready for the buns, but if i have a fire in my hallway there is no way i could reach them in the kitchen :( hammys would go in my pockets, with their bedding. dog would be in my other halfs arms but sadly i would have to leave the fish x

What about things where you had to evacuate and had prior warning?

Or like where you had to get your outsiders somewhere safe?

Luckily there would still be plenty of room in the car/van if I had to get the outsiders somewhere safe too

oh well this i could do :wave: we have an estate car and what with the move i know all my guys fit as we moved them to the new place all in one go :) via my inlaws. we would then all go and stay at the inlaws in their spare room, it would be a massive squish but we could do it :)

Wow, I am now worrying about something I hadn't thought to worry about before. Mine are all outside so they would be fine and the two fosters in the dog crate could just be lifted in the crate. They are shut in at night but out from 9 till 11. They would be impossible to catch, especially by the time I had the three kids out the door!

My biggest fear is flooding. I liked having all my animals in my upstairs room.
What if there was a flood and the rabbits were in their hutch and I was in Norwich at uni which would take me two hours to get back? :(

Me and the OH have often talked about this. Any small furries would have to remain in their cage, and we try to get it out. I've always kept a carrier or box close by, to get piggies or bunnies (or just pig, in my case now) into, although when we had house bunnies we said we'd probably just have to open the door in the hopes of catching them afterwards. :(

From the house yes the pigs could go in their cage and the cats in a carrier each. The buns are in sheds away from the house so should be ok. If it was a case of evacuating the area in a real emergency the pigs could go in their cage the 4 in the big carrier the two in the small carrier and the cats would just have to be loose in the car

wish i hadn't opened this thread - i could've buried my head in the sand.....

i have car space and carriers - may be a bun and a pig in a carrier but if it was such a dire emergency, the risk would be worth it to me for saving them. little leonard would be carried in his cage.

the main issue i have is catching eric - hence the reason i can't bear to think about it:(

I have thought of this alot as we are in a potential flood risk area.

We only have one carrier, but we can put the buns in their indoor hutch and into the back of the car and the chins in the carrier.

Now the buns are out most nights freeranging, a fire would be a scary thing. How would you round them up ? I would have to open the back door and hope they come out if I couldn't catch them. Thankfully we have thick fire doors so at least a fire could be contained, enough to catch the bunnies anyway.

This is something that has always worried me!
I dread the thought cause both my babies are so difficult to pick up. :( But in an emergency I would like to think that adrenaline would just take over and I would just get them in the carrier, I couldnt leave them! :(
I honestly pray I am never put to the test!

I dreamt last night we got hit by a tornado and I was panicking trying to get to D&D!! BUT wasnt there an actual tornado strike in Suffolk last year or the year before!!

Back