• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im Thinking Of Starting A Rescue

why don't you post a photo of your apache scar and I'll try and dig out a video of panda attacking the broom matrix style. Seriously if you are a rescue you can't choose the buns that land on your door step, some are wonderful, others are very sick or very hard to handle. Each bun costs about £20 minimum to look after than you can get back in donation fees which means that if you only take in 5 a month (we'd be lucky) thats £100 a month extra or £1,000 a year that you need to fundraise yourself. Fat fluffs is quite a small rescue having a maximum of 40 buns at any one time but we spend around £600 a month (about £300 of which we might be lucky enough to get back from adoptions) and have to fundraise constantly to make up the difference.

I have images of the matrix attack now :lol::lol:

seriously....I think someone showed him Kungfu Panda too much and he's got ideas :lol::lol::lol:

Now I always thought they called him panda because of his eyes but maybe it's because he loves KUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGGFOOOOOOOOOOO

Why do people think that OP is trying to rehome an aggressive rabbit? :?

But anyways...I agree that you're better to help out at an established rescue for a while to get a better idea of the commitment and cost it involves :)

The important thing if you are to run a rescue is to have the knowledge and ability to treat rabbits who have problems / illnesses / disabilities with appropriate treatments which would offer an animal the best chance of improvement. The knowledge is also required to relay to the public information to those people who are having problems with animals to help them address issues that they are having with their pets which could result in that animal being able to remain with thir owners rather than being handed in to rescues.

Obviously with aggressive rabbits the most appropriate first line of treatment would be to get them neutered at the earliest possibly opportunity to reduce the chance of learnt behaviour and to lower hormone levels which often reduces or can resolve these problems. If this was done in this case this rabbit may be able to be rebonded to its ex partner rather than rehomed.

I wouldn't if I were you. Lots of buns are classed as "aggressive" until they are neutered/spayed, so if you've not succeeded in helping your own bun, you are gonna struggle with most that you come into contact with.

I'm afraid I have to agree, one of the top reasons for people wanting to give up their pets is 'children got bored' and often the reason they get bored is because the bun is aggressive and doesn't want to 'play'. Neutering is always the first obvious port of call with aggressive buns (provided that a vet has checked that pain is not a cause), and there are lots of other things you can do if the problem persists after neutering and the hormones have calmed down. I have very successfully fostered and 'rehabilitated' a number of aggressive buns in the past, it just takes patience and understanding. In the interim, you are likely to end up with a large number of rabbits for rehoming just like the one you can't cope with right now - and chances are they will be tricky to rehome for exactly that reason, so you could have them for a very long time!

As a rescue, people will look to you for advice and help with circumstances exactly like this (and numerous other things) and will expect what you do to be the perfect standard - so if your own buns aren't neutered, vaccinated and you can't cope with their aggression, I'm afraid that sends the wrong message to people about what is normal or acceptable for their buns, and it shows that you aren't yet ready to run a rescue.

I'd suggest finding a rescue somewhere in your area, there are a few, and helping out for a couple of years. This will help to show you what running a rescue really entails and will also help to grow your knowledge and understanding so that one day, you may feel ready and able to run one of your own :)

Back