• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im just going to get this one

if you don't like it then you shouldn't read it :?
I can see why people get agrivated with raven's posts but she has every right to post here like everyone else :)

No one has said otherwise :)

But TBH Raven that place doesn't look very nice, look at the poor bunny in the hutch behind :( I can understand if you were going to keep him as a pet bunny, but I certainly wouldn't breed from him :)

People are discussing exactly this. I think it's currently a good debate, people are interested in the animals welfare, not at having a bash at Raven.

I think Raven could take the opportunity to become one of the few very responsible breeders, and do things by the proper means, which although many will still argue is wrong, is a step in the right direct and she will gain a lot of credibility.

It must be remembered many people read this site for advice but never actually post upon it.

My thoughts exactly.

Apart from all the other obvious points, how many people are now going to thinks is ok to get a freead bun, and put it straight in with your own?? You might be lucky and it be ok, but you might not. I dont even handle a new foster then my own buns, for at least 10 days, without thoroughly washing and disinfecting my hands, and changing my coat! Wouldnt even think about putting them together, even if I knew where it had come from.

I'm not picking on anyone, and its good to debate.... but I really dont think it gives out a very good message and surely thats the point of this site, to give out good info.

look ive been looking for a tri dali buck for 3yrs never ever have i seen one in the sale pen! this one on the freeads when i phoned first question was are you a brc member yes was the answer then it was oh great wat lines is he from? Ian Gerrards (top dali man in the country) how come you are selling him im down sizing on dalis to consentrate on the Golden Glavot (an amost extinct breed) fair enough when may i come and view him? anytime this week if you like. then i said are you the lady i always see with 2 kiddies running about? Yes thats me. oh well its me Raven! oh hiya! well if your wanting him for breeding i have a much better rabbit its his son but hes better marked at the moment hes just going though moult so he looks long in the coat but after his molt he might even be showable! that sounds fab would monday be ok for you? yes thats fine! ok then i ll ring you when im leaving! ok then bye! bye.

Do dali rex's have to have each of their spots seperate to win in shows. I've heard that about dog dali's.

if its a bi dali then yes as much as possiable needs to be seprate
however with a tri dali its very hard to do so they do accept the spots bunched together as long as theres 2 different colours spotted togther breaking patches into spots if that make sense to you.

..oh right

the only thing that makes me cringe about showing is how shallow it is!! a bunny is still gorgeous if the spots are in one big heap but they arent deemed pretty enough for showing :cry:

..oh right

the only thing that makes me cringe about showing is how shallow it is!! a bunny is still gorgeous if the spots are in one big heap but they arent deemed pretty enough for showing :cry:

HUGE misconception. It isn't that they are 'deemed not pretty enough for showing'....like saying they are no good/ugly and are therefore cast out!..... it's more that they are not the best representation of the breed/colour, wouldn't be entered into a show. (A reputable breeder would probably agree with you are say all rabbits are lovely too! :) )

Show animals...not just rabbits, but all animals....are presented at shows to be shown as best represented examples of that colour/breed/pattern etc.

Reputable breeders work within specific boundaries to ensure that certain colours, breeds and patterns don't die out.....which is why reputable breeders get just as angry with backyard breeders as you guys.....as these unsavory breeders are simply breeding willy-nilly...regardless of genetics, backgrounds and history's....and mixing colours/breeds regardless! The reason for shows is to keep set colours, breeds and patterns standardised.

Last edited:
HUGE misconception. It isn't that they are 'deemed not pretty enough for showing'....like saying they are no good/ugly and are therefore cast out!..... it's more that they are not the best representation of the breed/colour.

that does make a lot of sense! but the sad thing is, is when a breeder gets a bun that doesnt meet show requirements and they "get rid" of the bun often in anyway possible

that does make a lot of sense! but the sad thing is, is when a breeder gets a bun that doesnt meet show requirements and they "get rid" of the bun often in anyway possible

Again, I can see what you're saying.....but a very general statement. Just like I could say (giving a direct comparison) all pet owners will keep their rabbit in a 3ft hutch....some will, and some won't. The good ones won't.

I can't really see how it makes you a worse breeder just by the place you advertise.
Just because you advertise on freeads or in the newspaper doesn't mean you have to sell to the first person who comes by looking for a cuddly little bun for their kid.:roll: And how else are they supposed to sell the rabbits? Advertise on their own private website? Send them to a rescue? Sell to a pet shop:shock: Or simply sell to their closest friends or other breeders? That's gonna get hard with older rabbits or rabbits you may not WANT to be bred. Frankly I would prefer it if some of my baby bunnies ended up in pet homes rather than with breeders. :D

I can agree with that..... last trip to the meat market there must have been 30-40 very young Dutch bunnies, all mis marked.... some only very slightly..... I felt sick. Thats not to say all breeders dispose in that way, but I know for a fact some do, the poor bunnies just didnt quite come up to this ridiculous standard, 'we' set for them!

I can't really see how it makes you a worse breeder just by the place you advertise.
Just because you advertise on freeads or in the newspaper doesn't mean you have to sell to the first person who comes by looking for a cuddly little bun for their kid.:roll: And how else are they supposed to sell the rabbits? Advertise on their own private website? Send them to a rescue? Sell to a pet shop:shock: Or simply sell to their closest friends or other breeders? That's gonna get hard with older rabbits or rabbits you may not WANT to be bred. Frankly I would prefer it if some of my baby bunnies ended up in pet homes rather than with breeders. :D

In an ideal world it should be ok, but unfortunatley, as we've all recently witnessed on here, there are some very devious, unscrupulous people lurking on the freeads. The fact that freeads are accesible to many people leaves gaps for 'unsavouries' th slip through.

Thats not to say all breeders dispose in that way, but I know for a fact some do

My point is.....what type of breeder does this......those who shouldn't be breeding in the first place!

You can't generalise breeders....just as you can't generalise pet owners.....some are poles apart!

My point is.....what type of breeder does this......those who shouldn't be breeding in the first place!

You can't generalise breeders....just as you can't generalise pet owners.....some are poles apart!

Yep, that is very true and I completely agree. :)

I do agree. Some will sell rabbits that aren't show standard to loving homes, some couldn't care less. When I was about 19 I brought a rabbit from a breeder. She had them in lots of small pens in a converted garage. It was ok smell wise, but they didn't look like they got out of there very often and she didn't ask a single question about what I had to offer the rabbit, just showed me which ones were for sale. Looking back I shouldn't have taken him, but I knew no better back then.

Again, I can see what you're saying.....but a very general statement. Just like I could say (giving a direct comparison) all pet owners will keep their rabbit in a 3ft hutch....some will, and some won't. The good ones won't.

sorry for generalising i didnt mean all breeders i just didnt make myself clear in the post.

Back