• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im just going to get this one

And also i found all the relevent info on this buck before i went and picked him up.:?
I dont see why i have to prove myself all the time its very tiresome:?

well anti-breeding though I am, I have to agree that no-one should be hounded like this - I don't spay or vaccinate my rabbits so there you go - you can all start on me now :roll:

*sighs* responsible breeder? Getting stock from a freead? Why do you think people react the way they do. I would say the same to anyone. In fact I do get people calling our rescue for animals to breed. I have to point out that they have no idea of the health of related family members and no idea how the animal was bred ie how much interbreeding has occured. If I were to breed rabbits, just after hell froze over, I would certainly be sourcing stock at a show or from breeders known to me. This would mean I could monitor the quality of my lines closely. I certainly wouldn't be browsing freeads for stock thats for sure.
I think when you put things like this on the forum, you must be looking to get the reaction you inevitably get, or by now, I would think you'd be wise enough not to post it!

Last edited:
well anti-breeding though I am, I have to agree that no-one should be hounded like this - I don't spay or vaccinate my rabbits so there you go - you can all start on me now :roll:

Would you not feel awful if ur buns died cos you didnt get them vaccinated?

Also as a long serving member you would be somebody that many people may *look up to* and now it may seem that if you dont neuter/vaccs etc then why should they - I personally would not have broadcasted that in that way its a bit irresponsible :?

I don't take my dogs to the vets for vaccines, but I however give them the homeopathic equivalent which protects them without making them ill. I agree there is a lot of hype about vaccines, and I am not sure that they need to be given with the regularity they are, but my choices are informed ones. I don't agree with yearly vaccines, however I made sure I had a viable alternative. I didn't just not protect them at all. Now we are completely off topic and I shall shut up.

*sighs* responsible breeder? Getting stock from a freead? Why do you think people react the way they do. I would say the same to anyone. In fact I do get people calling our rescue for animals to breed. I have to point out that they have no idea of the health of related family members and no idea how the animal was bred ie how much interbreeding has occured. If I were to breed rabbits, just after hell froze over, I would certainly be sourcing stock at a show or from breeders known to me. This would mean I could monitor the quality of my lines closely. I certainly wouldn't be browsing freeads for stock thats for sure.
I think when you put things like this on the forum, you must be looking to get the reaction you inevitably get, or by now, I would think you'd be wise enough not to post it!

I do agre with you. I used to breed and show netherland dwarfs many years ago. I spent months contacting national breed clubs, travelling, visiting and being on waiting lists for the right rabbits to add to my stud. These breeders I got my rabbits from never had the need to advertise. They had such excellent repuations (and looking at their set ups, rabbits and knowledge you could understand why!), they had huge waiting lists.
They also never bred so many rabbits that meant they had such huge excess numbers to have to sell on!

Just my experience anyhow :wave:

Last edited:
And Veronica, in your experience, do quality breeders of quality stock advertise in freeads?

Just to add, from my own experiences also....

....during this waiting period, I was advised to join up to breed clubs...national and regional, and invited to shows to learn more about the breeds. I was given guided tours of the shows, and talked through the netherland dwarf on many occasions at the shows and at the breeders homes. It wasn't simply a matter of 'buying a rabbit'. The breeders I wanted stock from quizzed and questioned me as much as they could, as they made it clear to me they had to be clear where their rabbits were going. I can only speak from regards of the netherland dwarf folk I met, but they were very very serious about promoting and protecting the breed.

I met some lovely people, and their knowledge was simple incrediable, and dedication to the breed amazing!

And Veronica, in your experience, do quality breeders of quality stock advertise in freeads?

In my experience, from the people I wanted rabbits from.....never!
I was on waiting lists of up to 2 years. :)

For me, this is where the line between good responsible breeder and 'not good' is, I dont think any reputable breeder would dream of using freeads, to sell or get stock from. :?

Its hardly suprising people get wound up with threads like like this.

Last edited:
if you don't like it then you shouldn't read it :?
I can see why people get agrivated with raven's posts but she has every right to post here like everyone else :)
But TBH Raven that place doesn't look very nice, look at the poor bunny in the hutch behind :( I can understand if you were going to keep him as a pet bunny, but I certainly wouldn't breed from him :)

Being interested in animal welfare and trying to educate people often means that you have to look at things and read things you don't like.

The problem is you dont know who else may read the post and think that its the 'correct' way to do things. At least by adding my two cents worth it gives them an alternative to think about.

It must be remembered many people read this site for advice but never actually post upon it.

Also the ignore function is just :censored: me off.

For me, this is where the line between good responsible bredder and 'not good' is, I dont think any reputable breeder would dream of using freeads, to sell or get stock from. :?

Its hardly suprising people get wound up with threads like like this.

It's a tricky one. Freeads are a way of advertising good pet homes to families who (like rabbit rescues) might not be aware that good pedigree breeders exist. For example....a family might have seem a netherland dwarf in a book, fallen in love with the breed, and being completely unaware of rescue centres or breeders, just go straight to the pet shop to buy a netherland dwarf there (where the rabbits history and background is not known).

I don't see a problem in genuine responsible breeders advertising pet homes for their rabbits, as long as they then (once interest from a pet home as been established) follow appropriate procedure to ensure as best they can a good pet home.
It can be a way of letting pet homes know that you can get pedigree rabbits from a good source (obviously, as I know...breeders can vary and be poles apart!), rather than a pet shop being the only supply source.

I do however, not agree with breeders advertising breeding stock on freeads or any ad website/paper. Any breeder worth their salt would not find the need to do this (waiting lists), or would keep breeding stock advertised within the breed clubs to ensure they don't fall into the wrong hands, and are (if going to be) bred to preserve and improve the breed.
Advertising outside of this, to an open audience as in freeads for example, doesn't fulfil this, I personally don't think.

Not very well written, so I apologise, but I hope you catch my drift! :lol::)

Last edited:
Back