• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm horrified and so sad- Got report from council

Actually yes they would probably have been told. I am always told when the inspector is going to visit my fish house!

Unless they took the complaint very seriously it is unlikely they turned up out of the blue as they usually require the manager to be present for the inspection.

The guidlines are different for every council but I can show you the guidlines for my borough council:

SMALL MAMMALS
Code:
Species	Minimum Floor Area* (sq cm)	Minimum Cage Height (cm)
	    Single	Each Additional	
Mice	   200	  50	                        20
Hamsters  300     75	                        20
Gerbils	300	  75	                        20
Rats	   500	  125	                       20
Guinea Pig700	  175	                       20
Rabbits	2000	 500	                       50
Kittens	2000	 500	                       50
Puppies	10000	2500	                      50
* Minimum floor area applies to young stock. For adult stock, dimensions should be doubled.

Dam thing won't line up - the first value is for a single animal (sq cm), the second is for each addition animal (sq cm) and the third is the minimum cage height (cm).

Edit: thanks Tamsin for helping me out ;)

Caz

Thanks Caz..

I am a little shocked that the pet shop could have been told about an upcoming inspection. Isn't that the point of inspections, to see what goes on day to day? If people are told about the inspections, of course is the animals aren't loooked after, they will clean their cages etc. Wouldn't the inspectors find out more by doing on spot checks?

Day nurseries can have on the spot inspections by OFSTED, so why not for other businesses?

The animals in this shop were - imo - not being cared for as they should on the occasion that I went in. Now that I know that they may have been warned about this inspection, I will be doing further work on this pet shop!

Any ideas what we can do next?

cazza269 said:
dont give up though I have had issues with the council doing things before and they never sorted stuff first go, also going to your local councilor really could help, a nice polite (lengthy!! ;) ) letter can do wonders....ALWAYS keep a copy fpr yourself incase you need it

keep trying honey:)

Thanks Caz!

I might do another visit to the shop and then a little letter may be on it's way! :lol:

letters are good, lol!

we had a damp problem in our house, and they kept fobbing us off, so I got my health visitor involved and wrote letters to my local councilor, affectively going to nearer the top of the council food chain...well we had workies in that week :roll: :lol: :lol:

Back