• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm horrified and so sad- Got report from council

Tree said:
Yeah I saw the dutch bunnies they are really, really small. Carys/Birdiebun saw one if the staff slap a bunny in there once, it really upset her.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
poor things they r only babies its stress full enough for them

loopylop said:
Hi,

The council have wrote back and are investigating the issues I mentioned to them.

cool, but i would suggest pestering them on a weekly basis for a report on what they found and decided to do!

Some local councils have animal wardens who usually get on the case very quickly but some councils cover the animal side just under environmental health as a whole and it usually isnt priority to the officers who have to call on the shops as alot of them are not that animal orientated and are only doing the job because they have to due to not enough funding for a proper warden! :)

Yay for you tho!!

Hi All,

I also had a reply from the same person at Laura so fingers crossed something will be done!!

Sweetie, have you heard anything :?: :?:

I haven't, I'm givng them a few more days and then writing again...

have you been into the pet shop lately?

Hi Laura,

No I havent heard anything yet, ill give them a few more days too. Havent managed to get over there for a few weeks, not sure if i will this weekend either....will try though!

its awful to hear stories like this - people like that shouldnt own a pet shop!

i wish i had one giant bunnie shop and all of you guys worked there! - problem is we wouldnt wanna sell any of the bunnies :lol: :lol: :lol:

stories like this actually show that pets at home isnt that bad (well it is) but they give rabbits huge pens to run about and there is always water and food!

amy xx

Sweetie said:
Hi Laura,

No I havent heard anything yet, ill give them a few more days too. Havent managed to get over there for a few weeks, not sure if i will this weekend either....will try though!

Ok, I will keep you updated with any news I get :) (If I get any that is :roll: )

Well done Sweetie and Laura for trying to do something about this, that place sounds absolutely awful :cry: I hope the owners are prosecuted.

cazbinky said:
Well done Sweetie and Laura for trying to do something about this, that place sounds absolutely awful :cry: I hope the owners are prosecuted.

Thanks Caz. The pet shop is horrible :cry: I was so angry and sad at the same time by the time I had left :evil:

Hopefully something will get done, we'll do everything we can!

Sweetie said:
mmmmm minds gone blank.....two by two?

Yikes 2 by 2 :shock: There is one down here and its blimin awful the way they treat their bunnys is just unbearable to look at, i cant go in there and I refuse to buy from them! :cry: it breaks my hear to see lil animals being mistreated :cry:

Hi guys,

Well the report came back from the council inspection... and he said all is good with the pet shop... they had just been cleaned out, fresh water etc etc etc....

Sweetie, did you get the same report back?

Sorry, I forgot to add, the man who I was dealing with, said he has to visit the shop for other issues and will be checking on the welfare of the animals when he goes back, which I guess is something. But the cages are way to small IMO... shame nothing is being done about that :cry:

awww was hoping somethig would be done :(

the prob is you see they will have guidelines to go by for cage size etc, I would put money on these cages JUST making the minimum size which is sneaky and cruel.

dont give up though I have had issues with the council doing things before and they never sorted stuff first go, also going to your local councilor really could help, a nice polite (lengthy!! ;) ) letter can do wonders....ALWAYS keep a copy fpr yourself incase you need it

keep trying honey:)

Hi Laura,

Yeah, Ive just read my email from the council....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I dont care about the health and safety issues he mentioned, people can look after themselves.......animals cant!! Its the animal welfare we are concerned about and the size of the cages they are kept in!!!!!!

It makes you wonder if the council told the shop owner he was coming, bit of a coincidence that the animals had just been cleaned out, fet and watered!

Where do we go from here?

Does anyone know what the minimum size of hutch is? do we know what the maximum number of animals that this size hutch should be used to accomodate animals? If there is a maximum number of animals perhaps they can be then got for going over this number of animals.

This is so sad isn't it - I guess in one respect its good that we even have council inspectors that go into these places but on the other hand it just doesn't seem to go far enough.

I don't know if many of you had a look at the PetTrust Post which Tamsin put up regarding the forthcoming interview but one of the points I raised on there was that according to the Manifesto the PetTrust have put forward they raise the question that Environmental Health folks with all due respect generally are just not qualified to judge weather animals are being kept in the correct environment :!: - I personally feel this should go a stage further as even if these places had a regular Visit from a Vet which the individual business had to pay for - Vets are qualified in medicine and do not hold necessarily have the knowledge (particularly with Rabbits) of what consistutes a healthy stimulating environment - what would be great is if Bunny Savy folks or RWA Outreach Officers could work with the Vets or even Environmental Health officers for that matter.

Sorry to sound off on this but this story just seems typical of the above senario.

As for what can we do now? - do you get any feeling for how approachable the Manager at the store is - Could a letter be put together with information giving better clearer information to provide better education.

I guess at the end of the day if the Council have found no evidence of anything wrong its going to be a difficult one :roll:

hiya,

Sweetie, would the council inspector have told the shop he was coming? I thought the whole purpose is to do a spot check :?: :?: Otherwise they are going to clean up aren't they?!

Bunnytales, I had the same thought as you as well, if the council and RSPCA have been there and have said everything is fine, it will be hard to form some sort of case really. Photographic evidence over a period of time is what is needed I guess! :roll:

loopylop said:
hiya,

Sweetie, would the council inspector have told the shop he was coming? I thought the whole purpose is to do a spot check :?: :?: Otherwise they are going to clean up aren't they?!

Bunnytales, I had the same thought as you as well, if the council and RSPCA have been there and have said everything is fine, it will be hard to form some sort of case really. Photographic evidence over a period of time is what is needed I guess! :roll:

if u have a camera phone u can sneakily take pics without them knowing.
if u say u want pics for a project and have had recent inspections they might get sus!

My friend is an animal warden and im going to mail her today for the minimum dimensions and maximum animals per cage requirements, i'll list them on here as soon as I get them.

leanne said:
loopylop said:
hiya,

if u have a camera phone u can sneakily take pics without them knowing.
if u say u want pics for a project and have had recent inspections they might get sus!

My friend is an animal warden and im going to mail her today for the minimum and maximum cage requirements, i'll list them on here as soon as I get them.

Thanks Leanne :D

Back