• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm getting so confused

I would recommend Lemon Balm as something, which is very easy to grow in a corner of your garden. It is a firm favourite with most rabbits and definitely very safe :) Also Marjoram/Oregano falls into the same category i.e. easy to grow, popular and safe.

Last edited:
From the video you posted, Caramel looks like a sturdy girl who can look after herself. Quite strong and perhaps even wilful. I am sure she will give a male a run for their money and have a whale of a time.

If she was cowering in a corner looking fragile, that's different, but she isn't.

And your photography is wonderful :love:

Yes, I'm thinking wilful is exactly the right word! We were really getting somewhere on trust issues I thought, but after today's vet visit, she will NOT be picked up. I wouldn't normally pick her up but we are still putting the drops in her eye (just the effected one now, previous vet said both), and we've found that if I put her down on hubby's lap and we gently wrap a towel around her, she has been tolerating the drops really well. But nope, today she wasn't having any of it. We enticed her with dandelions and coriander, but even though she got her end of the deal and munched very happily on the food, we didn't get ours! We failed on the eye drops tonight.

I hope she's in a better mood tomorrow! I refuse to make a grab for her, if I can't pick her up gently in a controlled fashion, I won't pick her up at all. Maybe tomorrow, if she's still the same, we could try just dropping the eye drop in her eye wherever she is sitting? I have no idea if that might work. We may have to resort to a different technique though, we'll see. She certainly does seem to be quite a strong willed little mite! :roll:

And, thank you, on the kind comment about my photography. I also do a fair bit of photo editing, so if there are any bunny rescues out there who could use a bit of help with image editing/enhancing for website or anything, I'd be happy to help out.

Basil, dill, thyme and coriander are consistently firm favourites with my buns. They also like parsley but I don't feed it that often as that is supposed to be quite high in calcium (why is nothing ever straightforward with greens for bunnies?!). They blow hot and cold with mint. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they react as though it's the most revolting thing ever! They also don't mind sage and tarragon but they're definitely not firm favourites.

Herbs can be an acquired taste for some bunnies but once they get it they do seem to go mad for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'll give those a try :)

I would recommend Lemon Balm as something, which is very easy to grow in a corner of your garden. It is a firm favourite with most rabbits and definitely very safe :) Also Marjoram/Oregano falls into the same category i.e. easy to grow, popular and safe.

Thanks. As mentioned previously we have only just moved to Shropshire and I must say there is a bit of the garden where I'm thinking of pulling everything up that's already there and just growing herbs. Do rabbits ever have herbs growing in pots in their runs? Is that a safe thing to do? If it is safe, I would think that having to stretch up to eat the herbs would be quite good for them?

Thanks. As mentioned previously we have only just moved to Shropshire and I must say there is a bit of the garden where I'm thinking of pulling everything up that's already there and just growing herbs. Do rabbits ever have herbs growing in pots in their runs? Is that a safe thing to do? If it is safe, I would think that having to stretch up to eat the herbs would be quite good for them?

Some herbs grow better than others. Maybe that's also my lack of skill :lol:
But they tend not to last too long if a bun can get within reach of them!

I think lemon balm would class as a herb, and I can manage to grow that. Along with sage, rosemary, thyme ...

Plantain is also a good one. I bought some seeds, and now I have loads of it springing up all over, even in the lawn :shock:

Some herbs grow better than others. Maybe that's also my lack of skill :lol:
But they tend not to last too long if a bun can get within reach of them!

I think lemon balm would class as a herb, and I can manage to grow that. Along with sage, rosemary, thyme ...

Plantain is also a good one. I bought some seeds, and now I have loads of it springing up all over, even in the lawn :shock:

I am the worlds worst gardener, it's the in family joke regarding how long plants will last in my care :? I'll make a note of the easy to grow ones and start with those first! If I can't manage them I won't attempt to progress to any others :lol:

Hi Natalie. You sound like you and Caramel are doing great. Love every day and be happy with it-no one knows what tomorrow holds. Caramel looks like she could be around for many more.
I had to phone around a lot of vet practices to find a one with the RVHD 2 vaccine. Frustrating but eventually possible. As for plants fennel is low maintenance and comes back every year and can seed itself- I find stray plants I know I definitely didn't plant and both rabbits love it. Trust is a difficult issue with new rabbits that don't know you (especially adults) and it has to be earned. You sound like you understand that already and are being patient. Really hard when you know you need to medicate her. Just enjoy your new companion x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes, it's certainly safe to give them herbs in pots, but they won't last long as she will just gobble them all up :lol: I have a mixture of some herbs in pots and some in the open ground, but I pick a selection of them each day rather than letting them have the whole pot (although it is fun to watch :lol:).

I just looked at your site - she's gorgeous! And SO lucky to have you. She must think she's in heaven. :love:

As others have said... ignore your vet. I had a bunny who had terrible dental issues. Ended up having teeth removed. When he was 8, the vet told us he wouldn't live another year. He passed peacefully aged 12. He wasn't robust and his lack of teeth meant he didn't have the most varied diet.

Caramel will be fine, and I'm sure a rescue will have a handsome middle-aged gentlebun for her.

Xx

Back