• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ignorant rabbit owners- how do you cope with them?

im afraid i wouldnt of been as calm and collective like urself i would of gone though him like a bull in a china shop!!!!:evil:
well done to you for being so strong!!!!

a lot of people are like that, some even own animals themselves. And is not just the rabbits they are ignorant about.

our pooch Iffy has become blind andthe comment we got from people may me wanna scream. :roll:

And is not just the rabbits they are ignorant about.

our pooch Iffy has become blind andthe comment we got from people may me wanna scream. :roll:

I know what you mean.

Our old border collie is going blind and has arthritis, as soon as she isn't enjoying life anymore then we'll let her go but for now she's enjoying her walks and playing with the pup! My gran was out walking her when a man came up to her and told her she was cruel for keeping her alive and should have her put down immediately.
My gran was really upset by this and I only wish I had been there to give him a piece of my mind :censored::censored::censored::censored:

I've had to bite my tongue alot of recent months.
Once colleagues and friends hear I have rabbits they tell me all their pet rabbit experiences ....such as
"my 4 year old child became scared of the rabbit so I released it in the woods" ,
"my little brother never cleaned out his rabbit's hutch so we let it live free in the garden and it escaped",
" My brother drowned his 2 rabbits accidentally while giving them a bath"
and only yesterday...
" I bought my neighbour's 3 year old daughter a rabbit for christmas as she likes bunnys"
I'm trying to educate them all!!

It's really hard isn't it. I went to a party at Christmas, and was speaking to a lady who is a friend of my parents friends and she said her daughter had a rabbit.

She asked what colour my rabbit was and then said hers was a Rex (that's a breed not a colour *sigh*)have you ever seen one, and I was like yeah, I've met one they're lovely etc. She then said it cost £50 (like that was a good thing) and I said well there are 33,000 rabbits in rescue and for every 1 in rescue there are 2 waiting!

Of course my mum mentioned that Deej is a spoilt indoor bunny, and the lady said ooh I could never have a bunny indoors, but my daughter has a guinea pig that lives indoors at her grandmas.

She said she can you believe it doesn't like carrots, and that she feeds it proper rabbit food and that it has straw but no hay! So I mentioned that it should eat 90% hay in it's diet:roll:

I just feel sorry for the poor bun with no hay. :(

Thing is even though you try to give helpful answers its really difficult when it's someone you don't know, and it winds me up, so I have to try not to get into the conversation or else I'd want to tell them what a terrible bunny owner they are. :oops::oops::oops:

I get it all the time at work, that rabbits should be kept in doors and not outdoors and that I'm daft for getting so upset when they are ill. And i've had all the jokes about rabbit stew/pie

People don't understand that they are part of the family

I took Stella to the vets last night and some man in the waiting room told his dog to go and get his dinner (pointing at Stella)!! I was so mad!! If Stella hadn't have been poorly I might have said something, but I was so upset I just left. Some people are so ignorant. What makes having a rabbit as a pet any different to having a dog? Rabbits are clever and loving animals too. People seem to think that because "its just a rabbit" that they shouldnt be treated with love and care.

How many times do you get the comment "aren't you too old to have rabbits?"
I usually reply, 'oh sorry, I didn't realised they came packaged in a box with age restrictions'. They are still so much thought as children's toys, which annoys me!

What a brilliant reply to a stupid question! i get fed up with people saying that too. Or when they say "it's just a rabbit" arrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!

I took Stella to the vets last night and some man in the waiting room told his dog to go and get his dinner (pointing at Stella)!! I was so mad!! If Stella hadn't have been poorly I might have said something, but I was so upset I just left. Some people are so ignorant. What makes having a rabbit as a pet any different to having a dog? Rabbits are clever and loving animals too. People seem to think that because "its just a rabbit" that they shouldnt be treated with love and care.

That is awful! :evil: I honestly think I would have blown my top, despite being at the vets. I understand why you were not feeling up to the challenge though, that is the last thing you need when you are already worried about bunny. Obviously that did not cross the ignorant man's mind :roll:

People have joked about calling him Stew and Cassarole, which I admit are funny names if you name your own rabbit that which you love dearly. But being a vegetarian and a rabbit keeper I do not see the humor when names like that are suggested.

QUOTE]

Meet Stewy in my siggy... :)

Haha! Very good! I don't mind so much when rabbit owners call them names like that, it's when people suggest it to try and get a reaction :?

(is that hippocritical?!)

A bloke from around the corner made a horrible comment to my 7 year old son. My son had told him that our little bun Molly had died, he asked my son did we make a rabbit pie?

This man so I thought was a lovely man walked his very spoilt dogs 5 times and totally adored them.. I had words with him and when I explained what a wicked thing to say especially to a grieving 7 year old he was really upset...
I'll never look at him in the same way ever again :evil:I lost all respect for him that day.

The man from british gas last night had a gud giggle we had 3 rabbits..so wen he was sitting down, i got phoebe out and some of his toys and put him in the lounge with us, so phoebe being a good lil bunbun,started knockin his ball and chasin it across the room!! the guy was like how clever is that! and ened up havin a cuddle with him, before he left, he said id change his opinion of rabbits,which i thought was nice;)

The man from british gas last night had a gud giggle we had 3 rabbits..so wen he was sitting down, i got phoebe out and some of his toys and put him in the lounge with us, so phoebe being a good lil bunbun,started knockin his ball and chasin it across the room!! the guy was like how clever is that! and ened up havin a cuddle with him, before he left, he said id change his opinion of rabbits,which i thought was nice;)

Nice one! :thumb:

I think I would have been reluctant to get Bobbin out if someone was taking the **** but I guess it pays off to show them how great they are :D

That was a really smart positive thing to do and now that man has gone away with a positive attitude. He'll probably tell his workmates what a great bunny he saw today and guess what he could do. Well done.

Back