• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you consciously decided to let your rabbit have one litter...............

bunbun was a breeder before i got her, but when i asked several vets about spaying and the cost, most of them suggested just letting fluffy have a litter or two also, that it greatly reduces the risk of cancers and reproductive diseases, and would "cost so much less and be less stressful" on the rabbit to do what nature intended.. .

One of my colleagues at work had a pet rabbit a few years ago and was told the same thing by her vet. They wanted to get a friend for their bun and their vet said to let her have a litter and keep one of the babies rather than spay and get a husbun for her. They borrowed a buck from someone and the 'extra' kits went to a local pet shop to be sold.

Had I not found places such as RU, I would probably have thought this was the accepted thing to do and may have done the same.

Just wanted to add that lots of countries have enforced human sterilization in the past, so its not such an unthinkable idea. America in particular did so to families considered to have bad genes or from bad stock, normally families with a line of criminal activity or disabled people. I watched a documentary on it, the scientists had a theory about bad genes at the time and it was meant to improve the American bloodlines.

In Germany sterilization of disabled people has also been encouraged in the past, although I dont think it was forced like it was in America.

Given the litter sizes of rabbits their numbers would grow exponentially.

ps William is correct, rabbits don't have an internal monologue like us, they don't 'think' in the same way.

How do you know they don't? This just seems like such a ridiculous assumption to make. You can't possibly know whether they do or do not have an internal monologue.

How do you know they don't? This just seems like such a ridiculous assumption to make. You can't possibly know whether they do or do not have an internal monologue.

Because its true and has been studied over the ages?

A rabbit breeds because its hormonally and instinctively driven to do so. It doesn't WANT to breed, he/she just knows nothing else.

Its not an assumption at all. I think you need to read up before you make posts like this :wave:

So do we have anyone on the forum at the moment who has deliberately bred for pleasure (one off or otherwise) who would like to help us understand the urge to do this?

I understand how lovely it is to see tiny bunnies, but actually I have no desire whatsover to ever have any. I prefer mature rabbits whose personality is already formed.

I once had a volunteer at a rescue I helped at and where I took care of the school kids that came on a Sunday. We had one girl who told us all about how they were going to have baby rabbits. She said her mum wanted her to see what it was like.

We felt it only right to talk to the parents when they came to collect her and explain why it was contrary to everything we were trying to do at the rescue and all we got for our trouble was a mouth full of foul language. They just didn't understand the issues that made us passionately opposed to 'litters for fun'.

Whatever you want/need, I will be willing to do. But my general reasons were not the same as the average person who just wanted 'cute babies'.

So do we have anyone on the forum at the moment who has deliberately bred for pleasure (one off or otherwise) who would like to help us understand the urge to do this?

I understand how lovely it is to see tiny bunnies, but actually I have no desire whatsover to ever have any. I prefer mature rabbits whose personality is already formed.

I once had a volunteer at a rescue I helped at and where I took care of the school kids that came on a Sunday. We had one girl who told us all about how they were going to have baby rabbits. She said her mum wanted her to see what it was like.

We felt it only right to talk to the parents when they came to collect her and explain why it was contrary to everything we were trying to do at the rescue and all we got for our trouble was a mouth full of foul language. They just didn't understand the issues that made us passionately opposed to 'litters for fun'.

Yes once in the past- rabbit life is never a mistake though, but no i wouldn't ever breed a rabbit again- there are far too many out there in the world. The urge was my friend wanted a bunny which i gave to her and yes i loved bunnies- i didn't know about rescue back then. This is how i ended up with my first rabbit (from a friend too). It's only ever a good decision in my view if you can actually afford to keep all the kits- just in case no home was ever found for the buns, which does happen.

CANNOT WAIT for piccies!!!! Mega excited :D I knew they would love eachother still when they got back together :D

They do- like love at first sight- no issues at all. I think they settle each other down being together. It's gorgeous. Pics to follow soon xxx

Although it's not rabbits I've got this experience of I've been in a position where I was seeking advice on breeding one of my rats.

The reason was because she was just so special, she had an amazing "personality" and had absolutely perfect markings (in my opinion anyway) and didn't suffer any health problems until very late in her life. I've had 10 other rats none of which were anywhere near as loving, funny, gentle and sweet as she was.

However I sought advice and learned of the number of rats needing homes and also the whole issue of dodgy genetics and decided not to breed. It broke my heart when she finally died and part of me wishes that I had gone against the advice I was given and let her have one litter but if I had done so who knows where it would have ended (me with 58 rats most likely).

I can understand people who've been lucky enough to have a very special animal and breeds from it in the hope the young inherit their parents traits. It can be very hard to accept that the reality is somewhat different.

It's easy to have accidental litters with buns

I don't agree. Plenty of reputable rescues manage to look after hundreds or thousands of bunnies - most unneutered on their arrival - each year and never have an accidental litter. Bunnies in secure accommodation separated by sex when unneutered = no accidental litters. Simples!

I can understand that it happens occasionally when someone is sold two bunnies by a pet shop that have been missexed, but even then I still don't think it's usually that hard to work it out if the owner takes a bit of personal responsibility too. Many years ao, my friend bought two bunnies from a pet shop. I took one look at them when she got them home and told her that they weren't both girls. She took them to the vet; I was right. She took the bunnies back and swapped the boy for another girl. We were 17. It avoided an accidental pregnancy, and if a 17 year old can do it, I don't see why it's so hard for everyone else. Of course you get an occasional tricky one that doesn't mature properly for ages, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Never bred any pet animal and never would.

and just to back up Alison..accidental litters are not hard to avoid, common sense usually does the trick...male + female = babies..so keep them securely seperate

Reasons we've had given for litters have included
Mis sexed by pet shop or vet
Child let rabbits together ( always think this is an excuse)
Rabbit dug out or runand/or opened hutch and then got into other hutch to get to doe..obviously very clever rabbits especially incase where hutches had bolts on the door :shock:
Wanted children to see babies
Was told it would be good for rabbit
All animals should have one litter
Friends all wanted a baby rabbit
Thought I could sell them to help with bills

My electric bill is huge, but I just keep the lights on & find that solves all my un-neutereds together issues.

Never bred any pet animal and never would.

and just to back up Alison..accidental litters are not hard to avoid, common sense usually does the trick...male + female = babies..so keep them securely seperate

Reasons we've had given for litters have included
Mis sexed by pet shop or vet
Child let rabbits together ( always think this is an excuse)
Rabbit dug out or runand/or opened hutch and then got into other hutch to get to doe..obviously very clever rabbits especially incase where hutches had bolts on the door :shock:
Wanted children to see babies
Was told it would be good for rabbit
All animals should have one litter
Friends all wanted a baby rabbit
Thought I could sell them to help with bills

:shock:

I don't agree. Plenty of reputable rescues manage to look after hundreds or thousands of bunnies - most unneutered on their arrival - each year and never have an accidental litter. Bunnies in secure accommodation separated by sex when unneutered = no accidental litters. Simples!

I can understand that it happens occasionally when someone is sold two bunnies by a pet shop that have been missexed, but even then I still don't think it's usually that hard to work it out if the owner takes a bit of personal responsibility too. Many years ao, my friend bought two bunnies from a pet shop. I took one look at them when she got them home and told her that they weren't both girls. She took them to the vet; I was right. She took the bunnies back and swapped the boy for another girl. We were 17. It avoided an accidental pregnancy, and if a 17 year old can do it, I don't see why it's so hard for everyone else. Of course you get an occasional tricky one that doesn't mature properly for ages, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I really, really agree with this. If someone is switched on and takes some responsibility, then accidental litter are very hard. We had a good 20 years of rabbit ownership before we started spaying/neutering, always having at least 3 rabbits, and we had not one accidental litter.

But they don't have human rights (nor should they) and they can't think in teh same way we do. We consciously decide whether we want to have kids- rabbits have no idea what mating does, its just instinct to do it. They don't ever dwell on the thought of having kids, they aren't even aware of it until they do have babies. Then instinct kicks in again and they know to care for them.

Massively agree with this. Rabbits cannot dwell on the fact that their childen may suffer because there are not homes to look after them, or that they may not get one with their children once they are born.

The whole letting animals have one litter so they can 'experience it' is ridiculous. As if childbirth, being suckled, then having them taken away is an 'experience', and if it were i'm pretty sure they would rather opt out!

They breed purely out of instinct, they don't sit down and discuss having kids, and they can't wear condoms and use other forms of protection like humans do. In a way humans 'neuter' themselves temporarily with contraception which rabbits cannot do.

I hear the excuse 'but they have to have one litter or else they go wild' quite often. Espeically from people who breed Staffies around here!! :evil:

Sorry this post is a bit off topic. I respect that if people want their rabbits to have one litter that they be allowed to, I just wish these people would always do their research into how many rabbits are in rescue, and how difficult it can be if the mother rejects the litter etc.

In all the years I have kept small animals, right back from when I was a child, I have ever only had 2 litters of piggies and one litter of rabbits. On each occasion the female was pregnant when I got her without my knowledge. One piggy was only 8 weeks when I got her :(

With the bunnies I went to great lengths to keep Minstrel and Revel apart for 6 weeks after Revels neuter even though they were miserable without each other, only for Minstrel to be pregnant all along. Had no idea until I cleaned them out and nearly threw babies away! Revel was still in with them and he adored them and brought them up really well :love:

I am not a baby animal type person, I would much have a older bunny. That way what you see is what you get

I sometimes hear people say that they'd love to hand-rear a litter of baby rabbits. Having done it a couple of times, I have to say it's a horrible and difficult experience, both emotionally and physically...something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Often the reality of baby animals is very different to how we imagine it's going to be...nature really is pretty brutal :(

I sometimes hear people say that they'd love to hand-rear a litter of baby rabbits. Having done it a couple of times, I have to say it's a horrible and difficult experience, both emotionally and physically...something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Often the reality of baby animals is very different to how we imagine it's going to be...nature really is pretty brutal :(

:shock: Why would anyone want to hand raise baby rabbits when they quite often die no matter how well you take care of them? Puppies/kittens/birds I could understand, but not rodents and rabbits :shock: They need mother's milk.

:shock: Why would anyone want to hand raise baby rabbits when they quite often die no matter how well you take care of them? Puppies/kittens/birds I could understand, but not rodents and rabbits :shock: They need mother's milk.

I don't think they mean they'd deliberately take them away from mum

Back