• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If a rabbit hates being picked up . . .

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
. . . is it best to avoid it or to persevere in the hope that they will get better in time?
When I got Coffee she HATED being handled (although enjoyed nose rubs etc!) and when I picked her up she would struggle constantly to get away, kicking and grunting. No agression as such though. She has made some improvement and a few times I have been able to carry her when she has been calm. I usually pick her up twice a day to go out for a run and then back home. I am worried though that she may hurt herself either by struggling free or because I have to grip her so tight to stop her from falling. I don't want to stress her out and she seems a bit highly strung anyway. Would it be better to give in and just move her in a carrier?

How do you hold her when you carry her?
I have one Bun, Jessica who HATES being picked up and ESPECIALY hates it if I carry her as I walk.
I have found that holding her with her BACK toward my body, one hand firmly under her bum and the other holding her body securely to me seems to work much better. She does not struggle and if she were to kick out her spine would be supported by my body.
Jessica is the only Bun I have ever had whom I have not been able to get to accept being picked up but the 'her back to my front' certainly seems less stressful for her.

Janex

Peter, when I first got him HATED being touched or handled. I handled him twice daily and now he's fine although he dislikes it and breathes heavy, it took a few months and he struggled badly, but now he'll accept it (after I've cornered him)
So I beleive there is hope :D

one of my buns really hates being lifteed but is fine to be stroked etc so we have an agreement that when he is to come out the hutch I hold a grass case from a lawnmower to the door of his hutch, he climbs in and I put the whole thing in the run, then when it it time to go back I just touch the case and he hops in ready - it works fine and doesnt stress him out.

I'm a wuss - if they don't like it, I don't do it!!!! :lol:

I have 5 that aren't keen. They get picked up once a week/fortnight for brushes/nail checks etc. They all approach me when on the ground though, & I think that's cos they don't think I'm going to pick them up!!

I have one Bun, Jessica who HATES being picked up and ESPECIALY hates it if I carry her as I walk.
I have found that holding her with her BACK toward my body, one hand firmly under her bum and the other holding her body securely to me seems to work much better. She does not struggle and if she were to kick out her spine would be supported by my body.
Jessica is the only Bun I have ever had whom I have not been able to get to accept being picked up but the 'her back to my front' certainly seems less stressful for her.

Quote Angie65 (messed up the double quote thing, damn)
I'm a wuss - if they don't like it, I don't do it!!!!

I have 5 that aren't keen. They get picked up once a week/fortnight for brushes/nail checks etc. They all approach me when on the ground though, & I think that's cos they don't think I'm going to pick them up!!

Jane, I had a friend whose bun preferred to be carried that way, she suggested that to me as mine don't like being handled.

I handle mine as little as possible too Angie, just health checks once a week unless one seems a bit different then I check their bums incase of flystrike. I use my pet carrier to transport them to and from the lawn, it's amazing how quickly they adapt to getting in and out of it. However if Lavender decides she wants to stay out and play we both end up getting a bit of exercise :lol:

Rabswood

Sophie hates being picked up, as she didn't like it, there was no need for me to keep doing it. She is a fuss pot and will sit for fuss for hours - thats when I do all my checks and cutting nails etc, she doesn't mind being messed with as long as she is on the floor. I therefore have no need to pick her up if she doesn't like it!

I'd say persevere as there will come a time when you need to pick them up (vets trip etc) and it will be extra stressful for them. Try different ways of carrying them.

Jack's-Jane said:
I have found that holding her with her BACK toward my body, one hand firmly under her bum and the other holding her body securely to me
Janex

Rabbits are ground animals, so they feel secure when their feet is on the ground. So what I did is to rest the palm of my hands on her feet, so her feet feel secure. And so I support her weight w/ my left hand.

And my other hand wrap around her.

I believe whether or not a rabbit is 'ok' with being handled is so much about how they are handled when young, and during the first years of their life. Three of mine are from rescue, Oli doesn't even like to be stroked, he is so nervous of humuns touching him it is very sad. I suspect that he may have been a hutch bunny who was not handled at all for the first couple of years of his life. We have tried to get him used to stroking but to be honest he would rather snuggle up with Sylvia so that's what we've encouraged. He is ok with head-to-head contact, which is good, so I will often communicate with him in this way instead.

Tilly and Humphrey also came from rescue (via the RSPCA) and both were a bit wild to begin with. I do pick them up regularly but not every day because they don't really 'like' it. I suspect these two were probably mishandled in their first home. It is interesting though to see how much Humphrey has improved with handling, but Tilly still hates it, she's a little wriggle bum! Of course I have to handle her because of her eye.

Humphrey actually is now a lovely little bunny and one of my faves. I believe the handling has helped but also believe it should be done carefully, sparingly and in the right way when a rabbit is not used to it, and especially when they have had bad experiences in the past.

b-m

My rabbit Lucy isn't too keen on being picked up but she doesn't struggle she just breathes faster... methinks she isn't keen on falling either, she a smart bunny. But she will jump on the sofa n visit me so I check her over then - but I think she only lets me cos she knows she will get a raisin after :lol:

Galen will let me do anything, hes a laid back he's horizontal....

Harlie however hates being touched or picked up... I find using a towel is the best method for her. I put a towel over her and sccop her up using Janes back to front method, one hand holding her legs to stop her kicking out and hurting her back.

I make sure the towel is over her eyes and wrap it around. It helps her stay calm and prevents any kicking out.

Although that is only if I have to pick her up and carry her. Otherwise I just leave her to it, she doesnt like it so i'm not going to push the issue.

Well, she didn't like the carrying backwards thing so I am moving her about in a carrier now and we are both much happier! I will concentrate oj getting her used to me strokking her and handling her on her own level whilst sitting down in the run with her and hopefully she will gain confidence in me.

bunny-mad said:
Oli doesn't even like to be stroked, he is so nervous of humuns touching him it is very sad. I suspect that he may have been a hutch bunny who was not handled at all for the first couple of years of his life. We have tried to get him used to stroking but to be honest he would rather snuggle up with Sylvia

That sounds exactly like Nala.. she hates me touching her and will grunt at me to tell me so or run away. She also hates being picked up but due to her long fur i have to do so at least weekly to give her a brush through and bum check etc.. unfortunately she will slowly begin to let me touch her nose when im hand feeding her something yummy, but then after i pick her up to brush her coat through she goes back to not allowing me near her again.. it is so upsetting sometimes that she is soo frightened of me :( I dont really know how i can help her tho as i cant avoid picking her up :? Once i do have her on my lap and have combed her coat through she will sit on my lap for quite some time while i stroke her and makes teeth chattering noises which i hope are happy content noises :?

niether of mine like being picked up. he will tolerate it for short journeys as long as you hold him firmly. she, on the other hand, wont be picked up at all. she dosnt look like shes scared she just dosnt like it and refuses. she wriggles and squirms and if you give her anything to kick from she just bounds out of your arms. even our vet has not managed to hold her- she gets treated in her carrying box. weve had her since 8 weeks and has been handled every day and she isnt a nervous bunny (quite happy to climb all over you when it suits her). maybe some buns just hate it?

at the moment we are trying to train her to like it (feeding her treats whilst putting a hand under her belly as if about to pick her up) but im not sure it is having any effect.

just do all my health checks on the floor and if i want to move them i just pretend to be doing something really interesting (well if your a rabbit), like picking up a piece of hay and they just follow me

I have had Alfie since he was a baby and have always ever picked him up when moving from the run to the garden or in the house - he is fine.

Holly, my rescue bun, HATED being picked up when i first got her, i wasn't used to handling a bun that was so wriggly, she would go into a ball and kick my hands with her back legs.

she used to heavy breath and even wet herself once.

I decided that i would not be picking her up again as it stressed her out far to much, so i used to put the litter tray down, she would jump in to it and i woudl carry her that way while speaking softly to her.

after doing that she stopped being scared of coming hear me as she thought i was going to pick her up, got very tame and now will let me carry her as she trusts me and i hold her very securely and again, talk to her very quickly.

She hates it, but tolerates it as she knows it wont be for long.

Back