• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for a run (NEW RUN) pics p5

natsbunnies

Warren Scout
Hi all.

I'm afraid to say that my rabbits don't have an attached run all the time. They do get access to a fence panel one on the grass and also come indoors for exercise though I am aware they do not get as much as they should and I would like.

My one rabbit maisy has a sensitive tum so can't always be on grass as it gives her some wet poops for a few days afterwards.

This is my hutch ( I have since stopped using wood shavings) My parents won't allow me space either side of the hutch but i could use the space at the front.

I would like a run the same width as the hutch (5ft) and maybe 5ft 6ft long.

I love my rabbits and want the best for them. If i had my way I would have a completely different set up believe me but I can only give what I can with the space I'm allowed.
I would appreciate some advice or links to runs that may work for me.

Last edited:
That looks like the Bluebell from P@H I have that along with their Rose Run I think it was :?

I leave the removable panel out and opened the right hand door and have made a hook so the door is open all the time so they have 24/7 access they seem to like sitting in the run on the dirt at the moment well all the time :roll:

91d2a18f1288dd74c7692c63431a9219_zps8a146383.jpg

The run is covered with an old quilt cover and tarp and mini gazebo roof so it's dry along with the hutch cover which I have modified to allow access to top door for feeding.

As mine is (was) on grass now just dirt I cannot move the run for cleaning but if yours is on hard floor you will be able to just slide it out to get into the hutch to clean out easier then I do ;) I have to lie down in the run :lol:

The run fits just level with he door but if there are any gaps then just attach an extra piece of wood to cover and a couple of bricks will stop the run moving back

Aww thank you very much.

I will have to measure just how much room I have and try get my parents to let me have the biggest space possible.

Thanks very much for the links and photos I really appreciate it. I will report back when I can lol

So I finally got my new run yesterday!

My dad wanted it to be folding but I managed to convince him otherwise as folding ones tend to be smaller.

I know its still not huge but its the most I can give and I'm so happy now that they have more space. I've seen binkys and top speed running so I think they approve :D

So it is 5ft across and 4 ft long

It is attached to the hutch like so ...

We don't get any animals apart from cats in the garden and the run is also held against the hutch with a band that wraps around it all.

My dad added these little handles so its easier to open the run. Its a really tight fit so these really help

It is the 5ft chartwell run and took about 30mins for two people to put together. I will add a few more things as time goes on and maybe weatherproof it a bit more. Any tips would be great .

Looks awesome! It's always nice to be able to give them the option of exercising on their terms, especially overnight, mine are usually in the shed/hutch in the day but come 10pm that's it, they're darting around all over the place :lol:

Edit- Regarding weatherproofing, the strongest and most effective thing I've done is what I have for Charley's hutch and run.

The tarp is pegged into the ground although not anymore! So the bricks on too basically hold the tarp down, it didn't budge in the 50mph winds we had here. Then it is attached to the mesh on the run so the rain just runs off.
I did use toggles but they eventually got worn by the mesh cutting into them, so I'm using cable ties and just cutting them off for now. I've actually ordered two more 'peg pullers' (no idea what they are called!) as they go through the eyelets and hook onto the mesh, works really well!

Last edited:
That looks great, I'm sure they absolutely love having some extra space to hop around in.

Please don't beat yourself up about not being able to give them more - it's very tough when you live with parents and you have to compromise. They're so difficult to persuade sometimes!

In addition to the great suggestions above about weatherproofing, I would recommend polycarbonate twin walled sheets. I use them on 2 sides of my run in winter to stop some of that driving rain and wind. I have a wooden top to my run but I'd definitely use them as a roofing sheet. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?it...ducts_com&_sacat=0&_nkw=polycarbonate&_sop=15 They're easy to cut to size with scissors or a stanley knife, and you could just screw them onto the top of the run.

Thank you both. :D

I have a cover on the hutch that covers one half of the run but I was thinking about that plastic roofing to go on top.

luckily where they are they are quite protected.

Plus I will have to try find some paint or something to protect the wood a little more too.

looks lovely :love:

foxes will be around, even if you haven't seen them, so i would add some more bolts and locks where the run attaches to the hutch :wave:

That looks lovely, I'm sure your bunnies are very happy.

You could always add a little table or some kiddy chairs to the run so they have all the space on the floor but also have the levels to jump on and sleep on :)
My pair like to be up high so they can sit and watch everything!

Back