• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Idea for rescues?!? U/D pg3 onward potential HUGE RU fundraiser?!

Well I may be able to get a dj for free:D
so evening disco could be on..tickets for that would be sold..and have a bar for drinks
anyone up for that at end of funday?

You mentioned a bar.....:shock: I think you can assume I'll be there ;)

....but I also think that a fundraising ball could work really well too. I would like to meet more people from here and as I said before I have been to a fundraising ball before...all you do is charge people enough for a ticket to cover the costs of the venue, food and disco, with a little profit over and above, and then you arrange for 'extra's to raise money such as a raffle, auction, quiz etc etc.

I'd definitely pay to get in to a snazzy outfit with my partner (or a friend, or just me) and come along to meet everyone, that would be ace.

We could have a guess who's bunny it is? competition where we have photos of RU bunnies and you have to guess which RU member they belong to...or something like that!!!

So I do think we are talking about a few different ideas......

I do love the idea of a fundraising ball. I was thinking maybe we could try to get the RWAF involved to advertise it to their members and be represented. I think it could be a real proper fundraiser with big ball gowns and silent auctions and stuff :oops::oops:

Isn't pledge a £1 about helping all rescues:? and away most people can help a rescue without breaking the bank as people can pledge more if they want to if they a feeling flush one month. The money from the pledge a £1 is to help rescues with what they need like litter trays, bin bags, treats for the rabbits or vet bills.

As regards doing a list of the top 5 things that a rescue needs is something I couldn't do personally as I would feel cheeky asking anyone for something specific for my rescue:oops:, I am grateful for anything received as donations of anything should be a bonus to a rescue not looked upon as a necessaity. This is only my opinion

I have to say I agree with Kay in terms of why we set up pledge a £ - so everyone can help contribute what ever they can afford to :D Which of course in turn helps 25 rescues not just the most popular ones ;)

I think the idea of an event of some sort is a great idea IF the profits of it are split equally between the represented rescues at it. I think at least that way we can still help a lot of rescues not just ones people tend to favour due to their raised profile on RU :)

Whilst I think it's great to ask rescues to prioritise & list their wishes, including their vet bills & running costs etc. However, I'd hate to think smaller or less popular rescues might lose out on RU support because bigger rescues / sanctuaries have higher vet bils & running costs - and therefore might not be seen as a priority :(

I think the idea is that the money from general raffles and a disco etc is split between the rescues that help out to make it fair. But the money from the rescues stands will be their own. I don;t see how it can be done any other way if rescues are selling their own merchandise on their stands, such as T-shirts and sweatshirts. :?

The original idea I had included rescues that are not on RU as there are plenty of really good well run rescues that have never been a part of RU :)

I can assure you if I help to arrange this the money will be equally split between the rescues taking part..but as Liz has said the money from each rescues stand would have to be their own due to the goods they may sell
so the individual stands will be down to each rescue or their reps to organise, set up, man and clear away.

Can we please get rid of this "most popular" rescues thing..it makes me mad..just because some of us post regularly on here we shouldn't keep being made to feel bad about it.
RU is not the only way rescues nationwide have of raising funds and some of the lesser known ones on here frequent other forums
we raised a great amount last week at the village fair..but we worked blooming hard before hand and on the day..
I have the same number of hours in my day as everyone else

I have offered to help organise this to help us and any other rescues who wish to take part..but I hope those wanting to take part will help with the planning, day, evening, ect..however the response so far has not been encouraging:?
I hope this is due to some not seeing the threads yet

This first event could be the start of something big..so come on all those rescues that do come on here and there are quite a few..at least register an interest then perhaps people will offer to be your team of reps for the occassion and we can get this off the ground:D

and to add..Liz if you feel this was your idea and you'd like it to be as you imagined then I'm quite happy to back off and let you get it going:D

Last edited:
I would love to be a part of this, but don't know if people think we should be excluded as we are officially "closed".

We still have in care 24 rabbits including 21 between the ages of 1.5 weeks and 6 weeks old who will not be able to be rehomed for a while yet!

Sadly we can't go as Leicester is a good couple of hours away and we have the buns to see to so even if we did go we would have to leave early to get home for feeds, but I would certainly donate some raffle prizes or make a basket full of bunny goodies up to raffle.

I'm happy to help not sure how though whether I volunteer to represent a rescue or just help in general.

Could we have a list of rescues that need reps perhaps when we know which ones are getting involved. Starlights personally I think if you still have rescue animals you could still take part. :)

I can assure you if I help to arrange this the money will be equally split between the rescues taking part..but as Liz has said the money from each rescues stand would have to be their own due to the goods they may sell
so the individual stands will be down to each rescue or their reps to organise, set up, man and clear away.

Can we please get rid of this "most popular" rescues thing..it makes me mad..just because some of us post regularly on here we shouldn't keep being made to feel bad about it. RU is not the only way rescues nationwide have of raising funds and some of the lesser known ones on here frequent other forums
we raised a great amount last week at the village fair..but we worked blooming hard before hand and on the day..

I have offered to help organise this to help us and any other rescues who wish to take part..but I hope those wanting to take part will help with the planning, day, evening, ect..however the response so far has not been encouraging:?

This first event could be the start of something big..so come on all those rescues that do come on here and there are quite a few..at least register an interest then perhaps people will offer to be your team of reps for the occassion and we can get this off the ground:D

and to add..Liz if you feel this was your idea and you'd like it to be as you imagined then I'm quite happy to back off and let you get it going:D

This is a very good point. I know people end up feeling bad about the amount of fundraising they do....and they shouldn't. It really isn't fair.

Definately agree that it is up to rescues/sanctuaries to organise and man their own stalls and therefore generate their own profit....maybe there should be a central 'event' like the playhouse raffle and maybe a refreshments stall selling home baked cakes and stuff from which any money could be split between everyone there.

Loving the idea of a disco and bar afterwards....I will be bumpless by then....and have a LOT to catch up on :D :lol:

I would like to set up a committee of volunteers to help organise an Easter/Spring bunny ball next year if anyone is interested?

I'll put a thread in general chat about it later when I get home from work :)

Can we please get rid of this "most popular" rescues thing..it makes me mad..just because some of us post regularly on here we shouldn't keep being made to feel bad about it.
RU is not the only way rescues nationwide have of raising funds and some of the lesser known ones on here frequent other forums

Jill I am so glad you have posted this as I have got to the point when I no longer feel comfortable posting on here. I have had so many sick bunnies that I haven't mentioned incase some see it as me trying to increase my "poularity", when in reality I just need support like everyone else with sick bunnies as I have no friends of family who can offer support.

I honestly can't see why some of us should be made to feel bad for working really hard to try to get some funds to be able to help more needy bunnies :? Whether it is on here or else where. Its not handed to us on a plate. I put months of work into the stand we had at Erin's rabbit day. I have never asked anyone to do any fundraising for us, and never would. There is only me and Steve and we work 24/7 to do the best we can for every bunny that we are asked to help :)
Like Jill says there are the same number of hours in the day for everyone.

Jill I am happy for you to arrange whatever you like for the Leicester area.

I will happily arrange one further south for maybe early next year so that it has a different catchment area. Then I can put all my ideas into practice :)

I am happy to have a stand at yours Jill as long as I know the money from our stand is coming to us as all the stuff I have for sale has been brought out of my own personal savings :)

As already said Luz..we can allocate volunteers to run the stand for you..but it will be up to you to contact them, put your trust in them and for them to take the money and send it to you afterwards
So if people offer to help who you know perhaps pick them to run your stand

The team organising it will see to the other monies and I promise..if this comes together..the profits will be split between the rescues taking part:D

As already said Luz..we can allocate volunteers to run the stand for you..but it will be up to you to contact them, put your trust in them and for them to take the money and send it to you afterwards
So if people offer to help who you know perhaps pick them to run your stand

The team organising it will see to the other monies and I promise..if this comes together..the profits will be split between the rescues taking part:D

Don't worry Steve will be there and I am sure we can find our own volunteers, we have already had offers. Thank you though :)

i was just checking that we weren't having to share our stand takings with other rescues, as that would leave me out of pocket.

Sorry if it upsets or makes you mad by me stating what I have, but I am entitled to my opinion as is anyone else on this forum. I just feel that unfortunately a lot of rescues do get overlooked because they do not have as much time, if any to post on here - regardless of the number of hours in a day.

What's wrong with me stating what I think? :?

Sorry if people don't like my view - but hey ho such is life & we can't all agree. I'm afraid I'm not going to agree with people if I don't just because some people might not like my view.

Sorry but by saying they don't have as much time,,it infers I have loads..I too run a rescue..I too am busy,,I also care for an elderly lady..I find the constant reference to ones not having time to post.makes me feel bad for being an RU regular

Sorry but by saying they don't have as much time,,it infers I have loads..I too run a rescue..I too am busy,,I also care for an elderly lady..I find the constant reference to ones not having time to post.makes me feel bad for being an RU regular

I agree Jill :wave:

Back