• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Idea for rescues?!? U/D pg3 onward potential HUGE RU fundraiser?!

Glenfield Memorial Hall actually looked good depending on the amount of people. It's £14 an hour to hire and is in the centre of Glenfield which is only a stone's throw from Junction 21A of the M1.

There is also a Premier Inn not far from it and there is another one at Heathley park up the road. Because it's not far from Junc 21 as well there are hotels near there as it's Fosse Park area. Also has 50 parking spaces :wave:

http://www.ruralcc.org.uk/communitybuildings/GLEVIL2

Thats a great idea....I'd be up for coming along and helping organise (from a distance though...too far away to do anything else :( )

This is a fab idea. Maybe we need 2-3 separate 'committees' - ie a group of people in each area getting together to organise a northen, southern and midlands one - or nationwide depending.

That way people can pool resources, knowledge, skills etc and it doesnt just fall on one or two people's shoulders.

It half sounds like there are two separate ideas which could run at one time or as separate events - one being an evening ball and one being a daytime event with lots of different activities going on, although could work as one day-long event too.

I'd be happy to help out where I can, I've done a little bit of events organising (but only workshops/small conferences so I am not sure how useful I will be.

I know of a venue in Coventry that would be good for a ball (its actually where I had my wedding but I had been to a fundraising ball there before which was great and also is council-owned so while not cheap, also not terribly expensive. Dont know if it would be big enough for all us lot though!!).

Oooh how exciting...

say we arrange one for the midlands
then instead of seperate stalls we could have a joint fun afternoon/evening and split profits between all rescues that send some reps to help on day
otherwise you could get the larger/more organised rescues dominating the event and the smaller ones could lose out?:?

if it is in Leics, that could include Honeybunnies, Tracy at Rugby,
The Nottingham rescues such as Brinsley and Kirkby and RACR
not too far for Fat Fluffs and perhaps someone could come to represent Hopper Haven
so that would be 6 rescues all at once that I can think of:D

say we arrange one for the midlands
then instead of seperate stalls we could have a joint fun afternoon/evening and split profits between all rescues that send some reps to help on day
otherwise you could get the larger/more organised rescues dominating the event and the smaller ones could lose out?:?

if it is in Leics, that could include Honeybunnies, Tracy at Rugby,
The Nottingham rescues such as Brinsley and Kirkby and RACR
not too far for Fat Fluffs and perhaps someone could come to represent Hopper Haven
so that would be 6 rescues all at once that I can think of:D

Could all the profits be split evenly :? to make it fairer or would that make it too complicated. Perhaps crafty people could make things to sell on the day (or they could even do the craft swap but an auction or something like that).

Could all the profits be split evenly :? to make it fairer or would that make it too complicated. Perhaps crafty people could make things to sell on the day (or they could even do the craft swap but an auction or something like that).

That's a good idea. Not all of us would be able to travel a great distance (or afford the travel & accommodation etc), but if we could donate items for a raffle or auction we would still be able to help :)

Yeah, i agree that people from here could make stuff / paint etc if they are arty, or even bake, others could donate prizes all for selling or fundraising on the day.
That way any people that couldnt make it can still help out.

Would need someone to take charge of getting all the prizes in etc.

I was thinking that splitting the day event with stalls etc into regions would be good but I think a nationwide Bunny Ball where we can all get together would be great :)

Maybe we should set up a poll in general chat to canvas opinions on the various options for the events?

So far the options I have are:

nationwide bunny ball with regional fundraising days
nationwide fundraising day
nationwide bunny ball
regional bunny ball
regional fundraising events

Sounds like a fab idea.....maybe if we look at doing it around xmas time it will be good for presents and stuff. Gives us LOADS of time to organise it too.
I wouldn't mind putting something together down south :wave:

Maybe we should set up a poll in general chat to canvas opinions on the various options for the events?

So far the options I have are:

nationwide bunny ball with regional fundraising days
nationwide fundraising day
nationwide bunny ball
regional bunny ball
regional fundraising events

Yes good idea! I'm getting really excited at how great this could be :D

What about tieing a National event to the RWAF conferences? Then there's two reasons to travel to the same place, and might help get a wider circle of people coming along.

Isn't pledge a £1 about helping all rescues:? and away most people can help a rescue without breaking the bank as people can pledge more if they want to if they a feeling flush one month. The money from the pledge a £1 is to help rescues with what they need like litter trays, bin bags, treats for the rabbits or vet bills.

As regards doing a list of the top 5 things that a rescue needs is something I couldn't do personally as I would feel cheeky asking anyone for something specific for my rescue:oops:, I am grateful for anything received as donations of anything should be a bonus to a rescue not looked upon as a necessaity. This is only my opinion

What about tieing a National event to the RWAF conferences? Then there's two reasons to travel to the same place, and might help get a wider circle of people coming along.

That's a great idea but I think the only issue with this would be cost as the conference already costs £90 and I'm not sure how many RU members go. I will add it as an option to the poll.

We have sadly missed this years conference so it may be something for next year. :)

My original idea was to make it a big event, with individual rescues being able to show case their work and their bunnies at the same time as raising funds. I was also thinking of inviting some companies as they could be charged for their spaces and pay for the hall as well as contacting the RWAF to see if they wanted a large area too. I was thinking of getting some talks organised, maybe behavioural based ones so that it is different to the conference which is more medically based.

We could ask for entry donation and sell tickets for disco afterwards and any profit made from these could be split bewteen all the rescues.

I was thinking it could be really well advertised not just in the rabbit world but also local TV etc. That way it would really spread the word of adopt don't buy as well as being a great social event for people on here :)

We have quite as few people on the forum from Wales and Scotland, don't know about NI. You may like to consider having do's near to 'the borders' so to speak so they have the chance to attend as well.

And, I hate to be a damp squid, but the very people you are hoping to help may not be able to come, as they have too many animals to look after!!! I have over 80 rabbits, guinea pigs, and Dad:lol::lol:

But, I love your enthusiasm and big hearts, if you are able to help any more bunnies, and have a bit of fun, I applaud that.

Yes, Kay, you are right, the pledge £1 is such a brilliant idea, the money I had the first month just went straight onto my vet bill, any donations do. I do understand your :oops:, but any money towards your vet bill would be great! And my top 5 would be....a whole day in bed, no make that 5 days in bed, alone, with books, my dogs and cats....bliss. When did I get so boring?

We have quite as few people on the forum from Wales and Scotland, don't know about NI. You may like to consider having do's near to 'the borders' so to speak so they have the chance to attend as well.

And, I hate to be a damp squid, but the very people you are hoping to help may not be able to come, as they have too many animals to look after!!! I have over 80 rabbits, guinea pigs, and Dad:lol::lol:

But, I love your enthusiasm and big hearts, if you are able to help any more bunnies, and have a bit of fun, I applaud that.

Yes, Kay, you are right, the pledge £1 is such a brilliant idea, the money I had the first month just went straight onto my vet bill, any donations do. I do understand your :oops:, but any money towards your vet bill would be great! And my top 5 would be....a whole day in bed, no make that 5 days in bed, alone, with books, my dogs and cats....bliss. When did I get so boring?

I wouldn't expect the actual owners of the rescues to be able to attend in every circumstance as that isn't practical. I wouldn't be able to leave our bunnies.

Rather the rescues could send representatives/volunteers to run the stands on thier behalf. It would also mean that the rescues don't necessarily have to be in close proximity to the venue as there may be volunteers closer who are able to run stands. The rescues would just have to be comfortable that the volunteers were able to give the right info etc

I can name over 20 rescues off the top of my head that might be able to make a central location with the help of volunteers. And if it did go well, then may be it could become an annual event that varies its location each year :?

And I agree, a week in bed would be wonderful :)

I wouldn't expect the actual owners of the rescues to be able to attend in every circumstance as that isn't practical. I wouldn't be able to leave our bunnies.

Rather the rescues could send representatives/volunteers to run the stands on thier behalf. It would also mean that the rescues don't necessarily have to be in close proximity to the venue as there may be volunteers closer who are able to run stands. The rescues would just have to be comfortable that the volunteers were able to give the right info etc

I can name over 20 rescues off the top of my head that might be able to make a central location with the help of volunteers. And if it did go well, then may be it could become an annual event that varies its location each year :?

And I agree, a week in bed would be wonderful :)

I'll be your 'rep' if you need one...I know your price lists :lol:

What would work well would be for each rescue/sanctuary to have their own space, and them maybes a couple of stalls who's profit will be devide between everyone....so refreshments, the 'big' raffle maybe a couple of crafty type stalls.
A behavioural lecture would be fab....maybe we could get Anne?
Really like the idea of involving the RWA and charging them for an area.
BBC local radios will advertise events for you for free :wave:

Back