• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want to expand Sweeps setup - your thoughts/advice?

catherine09

Mama Doe
I want to expand Sweep's setup a little bit - currently it looks like this:

photo6.jpg

I have been looking at the metal runs on eBay and think that is the sort of thing I want to go with. Now,, this new run would be attached probably via a cat flap to the other side of the wendyhouse on the grass, and I have been wondering a few things. The new run would go the other side of the w/h if you can imagine it here, the long side against the fence.

photo20.jpg

New run will be something like this (tho not sure what size yet):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/72-XXL-RABBIT-GUINEA-DOG-DUCK-CHICKEN-PLAYPEN-ENCLOSURE-RUN-Metal-ROOF-4-Doors-/220921884436?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item336ff86f14

I really want this new run to be 24hr access - Sweep isn't a digger but the new bun may be and obviously foxes are, so my thoughts are I need to mesh the base. Can I mesh the base and lay it on the ground for the grass to grow through it for a bit, or (I'm guessing) I would need to lay something over the top of it to avoid sore feet. Also what grade mesh would be best for security and bunny foot protection?

Would I need to tie the mesh underneath to the metal frame, or if I pegged the metal frame of the run to the floor over the mesh floor and secured to the w/h (somehow) would that be enough to stop a fox/cat?

I have seen someone on another forum using bark as a base for a run - i'm not sure about this as it would be good for digging but not sure if it would be good when wet and not sure if ingested whether it could do harm - has anyone got experience of this?

The ones I'm looking at come with a partial rain cover - I think I would have to get a tarpaulin and cover the entire run to stop getting wet? Or is that not necessary?

If I do have turf in the run - how long will it last? I don't particularly want to be replacing every other week! Do those of you who have grass runs find that buns wee/poo on the grass, and if yes how do you clean it?

Sorry for all the questions - I want to make sure I sort everything out before I go ahead and do it!

Thankyou all

I have that run from ebay too and it comes with prongs to anchor each corner into the ground (not sure how well it actually does that becuase iv never really tried to see how secure it is once the pegs are in as i havnt meshed and so they only use that one on the grass when being supervised!). i think it would give sweep a fantastic setup though! :thumb:

I've not really got any amazing ideas... but just thought i'd comment that Sweep has the most amazing ears :love:

That's not Sweep - that was my other rabbit Misty who sadly died unexpectedly just before Xmas :( Thanks though - she was beautiful :love:

I have that run from ebay too and it comes with prongs to anchor each corner into the ground (not sure how well it actually does that becuase iv never really tried to see how secure it is once the pegs are in as i havnt meshed and so they only use that one on the grass when being supervised!). i think it would give sweep a fantastic setup though! :thumb:

Ah okay, thats good! I might just add some extra pegs in and secure to the w/h. I'm hoping some people on this forum may have permanent grass runs and could advise me of what they have done :thumb:

Do you have a litter tray ?
If yes most of the bun's waste will be done in there. And less on the grass. Depends on the bun really.

You can bury the mesh underground and then returf it, that's what I'm going to do. Grass will be accessable aswell as hay so the bun will have a choice of what to eat. Both hay and grass are healthy so it doesn't matter what he eats.

Yep, lifting the turf, laying mesh and relaying the turf gives the neatest finish. Otherwise, cut the grass very short, lay the mesh and then peg in down to keep it flush with the floor. Make the mesh 6-8" wider/longer than the run so there is overlap.

I think with a run like that used 24/7, I'd be tempted to put a metal pole in at each corner (should be easy as it's on grass) and then anchor it to that - that would make it more rigid and prevent it shifting out of place. You can buy poles at the garden centre in various heights. It might need one in the centre of the long sides too - see how it is once you've got it up.

Obviously check the door catches and add padlocks or similar.

Rain - he's got plenty of cover so no need to protect the second run unless you really want to. The only bonus would be if your grass doesn't drain well as that might reduce the risk of mud.

Do you have a litter tray ?
If yes most of the bun's waste will be done in there. And less on the grass. Depends on the bun really.

You can bury the mesh underground and then returf it, that's what I'm going to do. Grass will be accessable aswell as hay so the bun will have a choice of what to eat. Both hay and grass are healthy so it doesn't matter what he eats.

Yes, he is litter trained 90% of the time (few stray poops now and again) but I wasn't planning on putting a tray in the run as it would kill part of the grass unless moved daily, I am hoping that he will hop through the catflap to go toilet! :lol:

Yep, lifting the turf, laying mesh and relaying the turf gives the neatest finish. Otherwise, cut the grass very short, lay the mesh and then peg in down to keep it flush with the floor. Make the mesh 6-8" wider/longer than the run so there is overlap.

I think with a run like that used 24/7, I'd be tempted to put a metal pole in at each corner (should be easy as it's on grass) and then anchor it to that - that would make it more rigid and prevent it shifting out of place. You can buy poles at the garden centre in various heights. It might need one in the centre of the long sides too - see how it is once you've got it up.

Obviously check the door catches and add padlocks or similar.

Rain - he's got plenty of cover so no need to protect the second run unless you really want to. The only bonus would be if your grass doesn't drain well as that might reduce the risk of mud.

Yes - I think I'll be taking turf up and relaying - should I leave it for a week or so to settle and bed back down before letting the buns on it?

I've been told the run comes with pegs but I'll but some more and anchor it down properly so it can't move.

Re the mud - thats what I'm most worried about. I don't want to permanently cover the grass as I expect it would die but then again I don't want it getting waterlogged and the buns getting really wet and muddy. It drains fine at the moment as the grass is on a slope but I'm not sure whether the buns flattening the grass would have an effect on the drainage. :?

Mine have a permanent grass run, made out of a couple of those metal ones joined together. I have covered one end for the winter, but the rest is open to the rain - they don't seem to mind it and it gives the grass more of a chance to grow, as I have meshed the floor and pegged down any bits that stick up, as Tamsin advised :thumb: The buns always have the option to go inside, but often play in the rain!

I find the pegs hold them down really well, but I do have a few extra ones as some of the sides aren't on due to the way I've put them together, so I had some left. The doors that clip closed with chains are good, and the ones with slidey bolts have been reinforced with cable ties, as there are lots of cats about and who knows what else when I'm not looking!

Mine have a permanent grass run, made out of a couple of those metal ones joined together. I have covered one end for the winter, but the rest is open to the rain - they don't seem to mind it and it gives the grass more of a chance to grow, as I have meshed the floor and pegged down any bits that stick up, as Tamsin advised :thumb: The buns always have the option to go inside, but often play in the rain!

I find the pegs hold them down really well, but I do have a few extra ones as some of the sides aren't on due to the way I've put them together, so I had some left. The doors that clip closed with chains are good, and the ones with slidey bolts have been reinforced with cable ties, as there are lots of cats about and who knows what else when I'm not looking!

That's really helpful, thanks :thumb:

Do you have any pictures of your setup anywhere? It would be good to see how you've done things. Do you find the grass dies/gets muddy with it being a 24 hour access run?

Yes all the doors I will have to look at padlocking/cable tying as they don't look too secure.

Back