• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I very much admire and respect owners of outdoor rabbits!

If I could have mine free ranging from house to garden I would. Instead it is me out in the cold at around 6.30am, by then they are up and about and looking out for me. If only my better half would get herself outside when it is cold and tend to them to give me a break. Who wanted bunnies compared with who looks after them are two different things.

It was really cold cleaning them out today, lots of bowls had ice in them, but it was not as bad as a few years ago. Chipping frozen rabbit wee out of a hutch is not fun!! I really hope it doesn't get that bad this year:( Fingerless gloves are a lifesaver as you can't work properly with ones with fingers. But they do get rather revolting after cleaning out a big batch of hutches. The rabbits actually seem happier with the temperature just below zero as it isn't so soggy. There was lots of arguing and digging going on today. Very lively rabbits.

Oooh we have some gloves we use now they are fabric on the upside and rubbery on the palm side! they are really good, I'll find a link....

We just got cheapy b&q ones http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.c...MiF5lPR5xfQr0O9H1j0tyxYUaQ1vq3A4AfxoCCYLw_wcB

I love this thread! It's great to hear just the dedication that goes on with people and their beloved bunnies. I have both indoor and outdoor bunnies...and I adore them all so, so much...but even I was saying to my hubby that I must be mad whilst cleaning them out in the pouring rain last weekend! I've never been so drenched in my life (whilst they were all sitting warm and dry munching on their fresh, snug piles of hay :lol: ).

Things we do eh!? Worth it all though aren't they :love: :love: :love:

As soon as I get in from work I'm straight out to check on them and clean them out. I just get on with it. Love afterward seeing them all clean and warm tucking in to some fresh hay. :love:

I used to have outdoor bunnies when I was young and think I probably just did the very quick bare minimum with them on the coldest days :( I remember my mum giving me a big puffy coat to wear out to see to them and they had an old duvet on top of the hutch.

I actually thought about this the other night when Lola had one of her tummy episodes and I was up with her until 3am when I was satisfied she was ok again. No way could I have handled being out in the cold chasing her round to get her tummy going for that long, but then I wouldn't have seen she was having an episode in the first place and might not have her now :shock:

I don't really think about it.... its just something that has to be done and that's part of the commitment!! We reap the rewards in Summer lol

I have a big sailing coat & a head torch. I can't say I clean them out when it's raining (because up to recently there was nowhere dry for them to go), but I am in and out when it rains & when it's freezing cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just put my boy to bed and it's freezing outside! He's in the shed, snug in his hutch, with two snugglesafes. I was freezing, out there in my dressing gown - I'm sure my neighbours think I'm a nutcase! Still, just seeing him happily munching and all snug makes me smile... Night, night all you RU bunnies.

Back