• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Smoo has another abscess. UD post 20, even worse :(

Absolutely gutted for you, Smoo and Grim. I wish I knew what to say. :( If you need to let them go I understand.

Sending you a massive hug. xxx

ohhhh goodness ...ive only just seen this ... im so very very very sorry ... :(
abcesses are horrid and things ...and while some bunnies seem to recover from them others keep getting more and more ... im convinced its to do with underlying conditions ...
I don't realy have much in the way of advice ... :(...but I do feel for you ..

I wish I could help

hugs xxx

I've only just come on, & I'm gutted by this.
You can get the penicillin runnier to inject perfectly safely by warming it in the syringe in a mug of hand hot water - about 40 - 45C
To seal off the syringe I cap it with a needle bent back on itself. This is highly dangerous to you in terms of stabbing yourself, but the best we can do on a Sun. evening. Proper plastic syringe caps do exist.
(This is what we used to do for benzyl penicillin injections for humans years ago - it's like trying to inject thick honey at times)

The pain factor - with abscesses this depends totally on whether they've plenty of room to expand eg just below the skin. In those circumstances they're not very painful. When in bone, or where there's no room to expand, they're very painful as on the weight bearing part of the foot.

As for what to do, that is very much between you, your O/H & your vet, who know Grim & Smoo so well.
I think a big factor at Smoo's age is that she could have something going on of which we are unaware of eg a touch of arthritis & this has caused her immune system to plummet.

OK Benjie had 2 abscesses +snuffles when he arrived, but he'd just been through horrific bunny nightmare, & he was prepubertal. It was a totally different situation; very difficult, but with a lot going for us.

Whether they should go together is a totally personal decision. You have my total support which ever path you chose.

This has been my most difficult post. "Doing a Grimlock" is a household phrase for play, like he does with the washing & which both Thumper & Benjie enjoy. I've no words, just think that if I'm very fond of your 2 amazing buns, you must be totally devastated.

Thank you all for you replies and thumps_ for your advice, I'll reply to your pm too when I'm up to it.

Smoo has also had a mammary tumour too so on her stomach it could be that. I need a long chat with my vet, I wish F was still there as she knew them so well. :(

Thank you all for you replies and thumps_ for your advice, I'll reply to your pm too when I'm up to it.

Smoo has also had a mammary tumour too so on her stomach it could be that. I need a long chat with my vet, I wish F was still there as she knew them so well. :(

It needn't be the tumour. I understand that the breast is a classical place for a pasteurella abscess to occur.
No hurry to reply to the pm - friends understand.;)

Oh Jenova I am so sorry to see this news :cry::cry::cry:
I wouldn't begin to advise you as to what to do about Smoo and Grim. I have not had to consider my bunnies' quality of life except in the case of Mimzy's tilt last year, but whatever you do decide for your dear ones, you have my full support.

I wish I had a magic wand to wave over them and make them healthy and strong again. They are two of my favorite bunnies here on RU. I know how dear they are to you. They have touched my heart so much.

I am thinking of you and saying prayers for Smoo and Grim. Sending (((((((Huge Hugs))))))) to you and hoping an answer comes to the fore.
Bless you all. xxxx

I have no experience in this area so can't offer any constructive advice - just wanted you to know I am thinking of you al xx

I've nothing really to add in terms of experience but wanted to send my best wishes to Smoo and Grim. :love:

So sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you, Smoo and Grim. Whatever choice you have to make, you'll have the support of everyone here xx

So sorry to hear that you are having such a terrible time with your wonderful bunnies. They are so lucky to have you and what ever decisions are made I am sure will be the right ones for Grim and Smoo.

Lots of vibes.x.x.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry I missed this.

Thinking of you and sending positive vibes. Whatever you decide will be the right thing for your bunnies. You know them best and they are so lucky to have you xx

So sorry. I haven't anything useful to say, just thinking of you and knowing you will do absolutely everything in both their best interests ... as always.

I am very sorry to hear that Smoo is deteriorating :cry:

I also totally empathise with your thoughts re Grim. Having had to face the same situation myself with the late Stanley and Tess I would not wish it on anyone. It is utterly heartbreaking :cry:

Back