• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i think my vet might have told me a very naughty lie...

I thought it was 6-8 weeks but, wasn''t 100% I have no intention of bonding my little male for a minimum of 2 months from his op date anyway as Ness isn't spayed till just after Crimbo. I wouldn't panick but, it would be wise on the advise you have been given to separate for a bit longer by the sounds of it, it would be better probably anyway as he might calm down a bit by then. Give it till after the Christmas hols etc and just make sure he is not too much for her, if he is getting the scent he might become a pest and then eventually she will get miffed and tell him off but, it could cause a fight. Are they similar sizes?

:cry: I think I'm going to separate them then and try again in Jan?

Seeing as they have been together (my fault for being ignorant and stupid) how would I know if she got knocked up? Or would I not until she gave birth? :shock:

Were you with them all the time and watching them all the time? If you were, did he ever scream and fall off sideways twitching?

There's not much you can do, unfortunately, although an experienced breeder would be able to palpate after 10 days.

Can I ask why she can't be spayed and also how old she is?

:cry: I think I'm going to separate them then and try again in Jan?

Seeing as they have been together (my fault for being ignorant and stupid) how would I know if she got knocked up? Or would I not until she gave birth? :shock:

She will start to nest about a week before and on the birth day will be quiet hunched and not eat as much as normal probably. Up to then she may eat more and become more territorial. I had a doe who didn't do any of the nesting thing or territorial etc and on the birth day I thought she was ill - going into stassis. Give her lots of extra hay and look out for nesting although she is not spayed so she might have a phantom now anyway. I would say keep her well fed and warm with lots of hay and a suitable area to nest (in case) and hope for the best. You might be alright. Don't beat yourself up about it, we all live and learn. x

Were you with them all the time and watching them all the time? If you were, did he ever scream and fall off sideways twitching?

There's not much you can do, unfortunately, although an experienced breeder would be able to palpate after 10 days.

Can I ask why she can't be spayed and also how old she is?

Nope theres been no screaming, falling off, or twitching. Is that good or bad?

I inherited her off ex-hosemates, who were feeding her full bowls of rabbit muesli daily, so obviously she was quite over-weight, and the vet won't put her under 'til she loses a fair bit. I've had her on a 'normal rabbit diet, and she's doing well but still not lost enough :(

I inherited her off ex-hosemates, who were feeding her full bowls of rabbit muesli daily, so obviously she was quite over-weight, and the vet won't put her under 'til she loses a fair bit. I've had her on a 'normal rabbit diet, and she's doing well but still not lost enough :(

Thats good and -obesity might limit her fertility (fingers crossed) the best thing is to increase her opportunity to exercise aswell (let her choose in case she is expecting), give her lots of different yummy hay and a handful of fresh greens/herbs and just an egg cup of pellets per day she will soon lose weight I am sure.

If the male bunny "has done his job" He'll grunt and collapse in half...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cjrVNmWzY

At 1.33 he "does his stuff". (That is Ruby's daddy btb)

(Never heard of the male screaming though :?)

P/s be patient if you can do it (practically) and get her trim and spayed first ideally before bonding them together - it will be less stressy for all concerned that way.

Like the others say, the screaming, etc, is when he has 'done his deed'.

To be honest, I think the concerns of her kindling and the stress it would put on her would be greater than her being spayed as an emergency precaution. That's purely my opinion though and what I have learnt from mine and others experiences.

My Bugs was awful for constant humping - in the end i gave him 2 months to fully calm down then bonded him with Roo. It took a week to bond him, everytime he started humping Roo, i gently pushed him off and gave him nose rubs until he calmed down.

The video of successful copulation made me feel more confident that he is just dominance mounting over sexual mounting but I think I'm going to keep them apart still as you guys have suggested and see how much more weight she needs to lose before the op can be done.

The video of successful copulation made me feel more confident that he is just dominance mounting over sexual mounting but I think I'm going to keep them apart still as you guys have suggested and see how much more weight she needs to lose before the op can be done.

:wave: Sounds like a good plan - good luck and keep us updated :love:

We've had the discussion before about how long it takes for bucks to be infertile post-castration. There seems to have been 'scope creep' over the years with it going up from 2 to 3 to 4 to 6 and now to 8 weeks. I don't believe this is based on a huge influx of pregnancies at each stage, rather people taking the view that caution=take existing recommendation then add a bit.

To be perfectly frank I don't believe for one minute that a castrated male could make a female pregnant more than 3 weeks after the op if it's done properly (and it should be, it's pretty simple nowadays). Before the creeping recommendations, rescues used to routinely bond rabbits after 3 weeks and I don't know of a single pregnancy which resulted.

All that's left are the existing few sperm in the tubes...are they really going to be alive after 3 weeks, let alone 6 or 8? There were some experiments done many years ago which showed there to be some viable sperm after several weeks, but those rabbits were castrated by tying tubes rather than removal of testicles. That means that the hormone will still be present and that could easily affect the lifespan of the sperm.

But having said that, I do think one should err particularly on the side of caution if there is a medical reason that means a female cannot be spayed, and of course a good period left after neuter allows the hormones to settle down and make for calmer buns :)

We've had the discussion before about how long it takes for bucks to be infertile post-castration. There seems to have been 'scope creep' over the years with it going up from 2 to 3 to 4 to 6 and now to 8 weeks. I don't believe this is based on a huge influx of pregnancies at each stage, rather people taking the view that caution=take existing recommendation then add a bit.

To be perfectly frank I don't believe for one minute that a castrated male could make a female pregnant more than 3 weeks after the op if it's done properly (and it should be, it's pretty simple nowadays). Before the creeping recommendations, rescues used to routinely bond rabbits after 3 weeks and I don't know of a single pregnancy which resulted.

All that's left are the existing few sperm in the tubes...are they really going to be alive after 3 weeks, let alone 6 or 8? There were some experiments done many years ago which showed there to be some viable sperm after several weeks, but those rabbits were castrated by tying tubes rather than removal of testicles. That means that the hormone will still be present and that could easily affect the lifespan of the sperm.

But having said that, I do think one should err particularly on the side of caution if there is a medical reason that means a female cannot be spayed, and of course a good period left after neuter allows the hormones to settle down and make for calmer buns :)

:lol::lol::lol: I figured a lot of that was happening. Especially when people on here say 9/10 weeks!

Hi, it would appear from your last post that you have already separated them now? How long had they been together?
I'm no expert but i would have thought if he was going to "do the deed" he would have done by now, especially if they had been together unsupervised at any point e.g. overnight. Which would make separating them now pointless. But if they'd only been bonded a few hours and always supervised then probably nothing has happened and it is good to separate them for now.
I agree with whoever said sperm only lives more than a few days in the tubes, unless the cords are tied instead of testicles removed. So you should be safe anyway if its 3 weeks plus.

They had only been together a few hours, I'd been watching the whole time and there was no 'twitching and falling off' on his part after the humping, which makes me feel a lot less worried about the possibility of babies :)

It's very difficult, I find, to know for sure what is the best course of action; often your vet will say one thing which will be contradicted by half a dozen people on the internet! And it's very difficult to know who to listen to seeing as vets have all the years of training, but some people on forums have years of experience.....:shock:

Back