• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Frankie is building her own warren.

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Frankie is my unspayed bunny (she has health issues and I just have a gut feeling not to with her) and she is also very wild like in her behaviour - absolutely no picking up, which for the most part is fine and I am happy with (she still loves being stroked on her terms) the only problem is it makes vet visits difficult and extra stressful!

She builds herself amazing little dens, she occasionally has a phantom pregnancy and nest builds, but this is different, she doesn't fur pull, and doesn't act differently like she does when she is having a phantom.

She built one before with a tunnel in it as long as my arm. All out of hay and recently she has been building them and lining them with newspaper. She really is a smart little thing! The other morning I found a new one attached out there and it really reminds me of that show I think on BBC1 that showed the underground warren with it's different chambers.

She has a little plastic food bowl and it keeps disappearing, she is taking it and putting in one of her little dens she has made. This is the one she goes to when she is sleeping in the day, which since it has got colder she has been sleeping in it a lot. When she added her extension one it almost looked like she had built it to have her water bowl in it. But that may have just been a coincidence.

Is she creating her own little warren?? I am inclined to think she is. I have tried to take photos to show you but you can't tell at all from them. Has she decided the one she takes the food bowl to is her main chamber? And is this because she seems to have this wild streak in her and she is still very in touch with a rabbits natural instincts? She absolutely fascinates me :love::love: I love waking up to see what else she has made overnight :love:

How amazing that she has the space to dig. I wish my lot had that. They have mesh on the ground (not buried) so have to make do with dig boxes.

It must be so cosy having a burrow and draught free. My lot like to make soft rabbit fur insulation for their under hutch area. The quad are fine cos their hutch is in the shed and therefore dry but I worry that the belgian hares will get damp when the wet weather comes (they can go in the hutch any time but seem to prefer being under it)!

Would love to see a picture of her warren.

How amazing that she has the space to dig. I wish my lot had that. They have mesh on the ground (not buried) so have to make do with dig boxes.

It must be so cosy having a burrow and draught free. My lot like to make soft rabbit fur insulation for their under hutch area. The quad are fine cos their hutch is in the shed and therefore dry but I worry that the belgian hares will get damp when the wet weather comes (they can go in the hutch any time but seem to prefer being under it)!

Would love to see a picture of her warren.

I should have said she is an indoor bunny, well she lives in the conservatory! Her base where she builds them is just on the lino floor (covered in newspaper) so she is building these purely on that with hay and newspaper. She eats so much hay and always has huge piles of it to wander round and eat from available which I think has triggered something in her to use it as a building material. I think if she was outside on grass she might just tunnel right out of the garden if these hay tunnels are anything to go by :lol: there can be nothing there but a hay pile when I go to bed, and by morning another den has appeared complete with a tunnel!

I took some pics thinking they would look amazing, but it just looks like a regular pile of hay :lol: I will have to try again!

I bet the hares look so cute huddled under the hutch! It must feel really natural to them to do that instead of going in the dry!

I should have said she is an indoor bunny, well she lives in the conservatory! Her base where she builds them is just on the lino floor (covered in newspaper) so she is building these purely on that with hay and newspaper. She eats so much hay and always has huge piles of it to wander round and eat from available which I think has triggered something in her to use it as a building material. I think if she was outside on grass she might just tunnel right out of the garden if these hay tunnels are anything to go by :lol: there can be nothing there but a hay pile when I go to bed, and by morning another den has appeared complete with a tunnel!

I took some pics thinking they would look amazing, but it just looks like a regular pile of hay :lol: I will have to try again!

I bet the hares look so cute huddled under the hutch! It must feel really natural to them to do that instead of going in the dry!

Wowser, hay tunnels! What a clever rabbit. Sounds like the kind of things that hamsters do (in big set ups with plenty of substrate).

The hares do look wonderfully cute all snuggled up under their hutch. The hutch is permanently covered by a large grey tarp which touches the ground and keeps draughts out. (Not very pretty but cosy for them).

Back