• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some bonding advise Please

daisymoo

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

its been a long time since I have been on the forum, I wondered if people could advise me on bonding my new adopted bunny Alvin with my beautiful Daisy rabbit.

We got Alvin yesterday, he is a beautiful little fluff ball, he is 6 months old and was part of an unwanted litter :( how they can not want him is beyond me he is so sweet, anyway, he needs to be neutered. Daisy on the other hand has already had her operation, so if i could give you the update so far....

the set up we have is that daisy is in her cage and we have bought a bigger one for Alvin and they should fingers crossed live happily ever after together in there, we have two pens around each cage to separate them and so they can have a run around, things went well yesterday, Daisy came out of her cage and with Alvin in his pen she was sniffing his head, he then started bounding around thumping and doing a little grunting noise, Daisy however from that point started wagging her tail at him and being very reclusive, but she was rolling on her back and looked very happy cleaning her paws (think she was showing off a little bit hehe) now i think she knows his intention and is running away from him.

Tonight, we have just had them in the neutral territory (the Kitchen) and there has been a lot of chasing, ad a bit of sniffing, Daisy kept running away while Alvin on the other hand was a very horny little devil (I feel really mean on him because he hasn't had his op yet so when he has had it hopefully it will make all the difference. Daisy looks like she has been having a tidy round in her cage almost burrowing in the hay, its not usually how she has it, and I can also smell her scent which we havent done since she was done, we spent about 20 min in the kitchen before we noticed that she started getting a bit miffed with him chasing her around!

So after my long winded essay please can people advise me on anything that we are either doing right or wrong, I am really worried that they wont get along (daisy is very dominant and practically has the whole run of the house! is it wise to maybe swap the toilets over tonight?

Please advise

Thanks
Kaz & Stew :wave:
Daisy and Alvin :)

its more likely his scent you can smell while its not nasty, it could turn out to be, best to stop and get the wee lad neutered hormones kick in earlier for boys aroud 12 weekish,

his persistant mounting and chaseing will annoy her, and the that shes burrowing says to me she has had enough to be honest, shes seems bit too stressed to me, im worried for her and if he persists she will turn on him,

best neuter wait around 6 to8 weeks for his hormones to settles , spring isnt the easiest time to bond neutered or not it sends them just as loopy either way :lol:

While its not impossiable, I always say suggest neutering first, ( unless special circumstance i.e. too old to neuter or has special needs ) nasty fights can occur thus huge vet bills, and most likely a failed bond after

Last edited:
To be honest Daisy is quite interested in him when he has his back turned she sniffs through the bars, and he is so besotted by her, We have Alvin booked in for monday

looks like we have our worked cut out for us, is it ok for them to be in the same room but separated? I thought that they could talk to each other and get used to each other and the smell?

oohhh really worried now I hope we havent mad a bad choice we have been trawling through all the websites and done our research but I guess we were not anticipating that Alvin wouldnt of been neutered, we just wanted to do our bit by giving him a good life, daisy has just run past him and they touched noses through the play pen then she ran off wagging her tail :?

I want them both to be happy

no problem, :D

dont panic your ok:) they are showing positive signs, i would seperate and dont be tempted to put together for a good few weeks after neuter, no matter how cute they look together:)

if you are happy to give them that set up for the next few weeks then fine, but do watch for signs of aggression,

alvin is feeling horny no offence your slippers would just as tempting :lol: these need to settle a bit.

I have to admit we are pretty nervous, I am worried it will be teasing Alvin to be around Daisy in the same room! he hasnt half got a stomp on him! she has shown positive signs and we feel that when he is done he should be alot calmer! I have put both of their food bowls outside of the cage facing each other, so they can communicate i suppose?!

Daisy hates being piced up he ears go back and she scrambles away but loves head rubs and stroking then I get kissed to death!:D

she is lying out side of her cage now which is a new development and he is just realxing too!

I am very worried and very scared we have either made the wrong decision or it will not work, I cant get rid of him he's like my own baby :D

heheh mummy of 2 now :)

thanks for supporting me, I think we just need some encouragement and advice just so we know we are on the right track!

alot of buns dont like being picked up, i only have one snuggle bun, 2 are ground only please the other 2 touch me you die, just gimme dinner :lol:

Dont worry, you will be fine, theres loads on here to prepare you on what to do in the next few weeks to get you ready for bonding :)

dont you just feel sometimes like you are constantly looking at information, we got to the point where we just took the plunge to do it beacue you can talk yourself out of getting another one, daisy is very grumpy sometimes and lunges at you even if your simply getting her food bowl to fill up, other days she is really happy and licks you all the time, I just hope she warms to Alvin casue to desicrbe him in a few words is, friendly, HORNY, nd a little bit dopey hehe :lol:

oh dear really hope it all goes well, dot know what I will do if it doesnt work out,
I have never been so happy though they make me so happy, and Stew is really happy too!

:)

tiny baby steps of a break through, daisy has just come out of the pen and has been licking Alvins head he bowed his head then she was chinning him then she snifed his bum, as soon as he moved she wagged her tail and ran off but baby steps i'm really happy that was the most contact they have had :D baby steps though!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back