• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just got a bunny, and I think she hates me

BMA

New Kit
I just got a bunny, she is a Holland Lop and around 13 weeks old. She is very sweet but extremely timid, always squirms and kicks and freaks out when we try to hold her and hides constantly. We can pet her sometimes and she doesn't mind but other times she just runs away. Is this normal, and can it change? We just want a friendly bunny to play with and snuggle with every once in a while. Thanks!

Bethany

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on your new bunny.

Rabbits as prey animals are not often keen on being held (and it takes some practice on the rabbit and the owners part to feel safe) although some are more laid back about it. It is necessary to be able to hold your rabbit for bottom checks and nail clipping but otherwise it is nice to enjoy our rabbit without him feeling 'trapped' - mine like to sit next to us for a love and one will happily get up on a lap and snuggle in, the other is too busy, nosey and independent to sit around for long!

A new home is a lot for a rabbit to get used to so my advice would be to allow some settling in time, let him get used to the sights, smells and noises of his new home, talk to him and move quietly around him. Sit on the floor if he's a house bun and let him explore you at his own pace.

I think there are some stickies on this subject, I'll have a look and link them if I can

Hi, congratulations on your new bunny addition!

What you have described is completely normal, she has gone through a lot of changes in a very short space of time so is likely to be nervous! I remember when I first got Oscar nearly 2 years ago, he spent the first week nearly hiding in the corner of his cage.

You will need to give her time to settle, then try just sitting next to the cage reading to her maybe? so she get's used to you and your voice.

When she is comfortable in your presence, try to get her to take food out of your hand. Some tasty treats are good for this- we had some dried apple pieces with Oscar which he loved! It takes time, but soon she should hopefully take food out/off your hand.

When she is comfortable with this, try stroking her when you feed her. Then you could try to get her to jump onto you when you feed her. It's slow progress, but it's all about building up trust. Rabbits are after all a prey species, being picked up usually means they are about to get eaten!

You may find you never have a cuddly rabbit, Oscar and Jessie love a bit of fuss when they are on the ground, but don't really like being picked up. Oscar just about tolerates it, but I know he doesn't like it very much. It's been a long time to even get to this point though!

Good luck (pictures are needed too!)

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Do you think getting her a friend from her litter would help her feel better?

Hey!

Is she indoors or out?

Rabbits are very social, imagine how they live in the wild, in their warrens. So a friend would be lovely if you have the space etc. But because they have been separated now, you might need to rebond them. Don't worry, it sounds daunting and terrifying, but there is lots of advice on here on how to do that, and lots of support!

Even better would be to get a friend from a rescue as man rescues will bond for you - and if it doesn't work, you don't have 2 separate bunnies to look after, you can perhaps try another. Lots of rescues have babies in as well, because rabbits are often handed in pregnant so that might be something to consider.

Where are you? I have a feeling America?

And yes - we need pictures! Upload through photobucket or some similar site and paste the link onto a forum post :)

It would not be ideal to get a litter mate because they've now been separated and even if they rebond now, there is every possibility that when they both develop hormones they will then divorce anyway, so you could end up with two single bunnies. It would be lovely to get her a friend and the best way to do that would be to let her choose her own neutered male (after she has bee spayed) from a rescue :)

Hi, i am new to being a rabbit mum too and thought exactly the same when we got our second rabbit. Freddie our first one took to us in no time and wanted to be around us. Then we got him a girlfriend Lillie and she wouldn't come near us. She thumped when my husband was in sight and would run away from us. Now is a different story....although she likes her own space she is at ease around us and loves a stroke now. It only took a couple of weeks for her to settle down. Hope it goes as well for you.

I found getting down to the buns level on the floor and having tasty herbs or some pellets in your hand helps.
Angel was kept in a cupboard for the first bit of her life, when I rescued her she was very shy and I was the only one that could handle her, after letting her get used to me she came right out her shell, she loves being handfed and will hop up onto my lap.
Give bunny a cardboard box with a hole cut in the side to hide in when she's not so sure, I found giving hidey holes meant she could come out when she felt confident enough, and when she was a bit scared it helps to have somewhere safe to hide. Plus its great fun watching them play, especialy if you attach a tunnel to the box :)

Back