• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just found Storm soaked update

I never would have thought of corn flour, thank you nessar :D

Compared to Gypsy, he doesn't seem arthritic, but I guess it can show up in different ways :?

No problem :) someone on here told me about it when Barney had incontinence - it's very useful as they take so long to dry when bathed with water.

Well, I took Storm to the vets and they could find nothing wrong with him. They checked his teeth, his eyes, his heart, his temp and gave him a good looking over. They believe he could have just weed on the vinyl and sat in the puddle.

There are a few knots in Storms fur underneath though :cry: I can't brush them out or cut them out and the vet was reluctant to put him under a GA at his age unless absolutely necessary. He has had a few baths to get rid of poo from his bum and this has caused his very thick fur to get tangled :cry: The vet couldn't find a reason for his bum problem. If he had to find a reason he would say it was age related.

I was told that even with the knots that Storm is in lovely condition for his age. The vet said that 7 was very old for a French lop and that he is going well.

I really can't see my big boy as being " old," though

Very happy that nothing was found.

Wondering if you can get a safety razor and try and shave some of the tangles.

I'm honestly too scared to. I'm so scared of hurting him. A long time ago I accidentally cut him whilst trying to get a knot off :cry::cry: I was so upset and ashamed that this is the first time I've told anyone. Storm has never been good at looking after himself. Even Gypsy with her arthritis is clean and tidy and beautiful but Storm always looks like he's been dragged through a hedge, despite me grooming him and trying to keep him clean :cry:

I'm honestly too scared to. I'm so scared of hurting him. A long time ago I accidentally cut him whilst trying to get a knot off :cry::cry: I was so upset and ashamed that this is the first time I've told anyone. Storm has never been good at looking after himself. Even Gypsy with her arthritis is clean and tidy and beautiful but Storm always looks like he's been dragged through a hedge, despite me grooming him and trying to keep him clean :cry:

Don't feel bad, so many RU-ers have accidently cut their bunny. Everytime I trimmed my first bunnies nails they would bleed, so took her to the vets and it still used to bleed.:( Her vein was close to the edge. Never had that problem with her brother.

I don't mean shave near the skin, shave the outside of the fur. I sometimes shave my head hair to thin it out.:oops:

I don't think I'd risk that. I'm surprised the vets haven't clipped him where it's matted. If Doughnut has had a dirty bum they have clipped the matted fur so she's nice and clean.

My Inca gets knotted fur underneath. I just hold her and kinda pull out small sections of the fur from the knot, eventually it all comes out. I also cut sections off with scissors.

If he is soaked in urine he may get urine scald and become very sore. Previously I've washed Roger in the bathroom basin in warm water and a bit of Infacol for newborns, and then wrapped him in a towel until he was dry. He was fine because it was only his rear end.

I had to trim Imogens cheek fur and was terrified of hurting her, I used baby nail scissors so the risk of cutting her skin was minimal :)

I constantly have this problem with Poppy, she is a dental bun and is not at all good at cleaning herself. It was only recently that the wetness started (i think she is sitting in the wee she does on the wooden floor to mark her territory near my new bun) although 'touch wood' only once since Wednesday.

Last week I bathed and combed her and although I tried to be gentle I tore her skin & she now has staples in her liwer back/bum (above the tail).

I can conpletely sympathise with you, the vet said it is important to brush her but I cant bring myself to do it at the moment. I hope it was a one-off and storm doesnt get dirty again, good to hear he got the all-clear at thr vets.

Can you not trim the fur, or get the vet to trim it? They should be able to do it without GA - it can be done by trancing the bunny, or if it might take a while they could sedate him. I know trancing is scary for them but at the end of the day it is better than having matts/knots, better than a GA, and will help him stay cleaner and free from urine burn.

My Annabella has had her bottom trimmed when it got knotty, was very quick, tranced her whilst the vet took about 30 seconds to trim all around her back-end and underneath by her bum, and then tipped her back the right way again. Much, much less stressful for her than having to stay at the vets, or me wrestling with her at home trying to groom her.

To be honest, this vet seemed a bit scared of touching Storm, almost as though he thought that Storm would explode or break or something. He just kept saying how old Storm is :cry: I guess the vets don't see many older bunnies here :? I didn't think that 7 was that old though.

I managed to cut off one of the knots with baby scissors. I can't believe that his fur could get like this in such a short space of time :shock:

Luckily Storm has never had urine burn and has not been wet since that day I found him soaked. I realise that I must do something about the knots though :cry:

If he is soaked in urine he may get urine scald and become very sore. Previously I've washed Roger in the bathroom basin in warm water and a bit of Infacol for newborns, and then wrapped him in a towel until he was dry. He was fine because it was only his rear end.

:wave: hi RogerRabbit. Will be in touch soon. Meanwhile.... I trust you meant infacare not infacol? :lol: x

Back