• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have asked this before but my nan thinks that i should get rid of my bunnies!

Now this thread has popped up again I've read it all through again and it's made me think.

A) getting rid of pets to make time for a baby.. What a wonderful way to welcome a child into the world! I fully intend on teaching my child that pets are living animals that deserve respect and are for life and certainly not disposable, somehow I don't think disposing any pets just because they were born is a great way to start with this lesson :?

B) statistically which living thing are we most likely to catch an illness from, humans! Ok let's chuck the dad out of the house and keep the pets!!! :thumb:

Ditto. Can't believe people get rid of pets to make time for the baby :shock: kids should be raised with pets anyways. I know mine definitely will be, just as I was. And surely newborns are less time consuming in a way than toddlers/older kids?

Now this thread has popped up again I've read it all through again and it's made me think.

A) getting rid of pets to make time for a baby.. What a wonderful way to welcome a child into the world! I fully intend on teaching my child that pets are living animals that deserve respect and are for life and certainly not disposable, somehow I don't think disposing any pets just because they were born is a great way to start with this lesson :?

B) statistically which living thing are we most likely to catch an illness from, humans! Ok let's chuck the dad out of the house and keep the pets!!! :thumb:

:lol:

mmm.

to me, children will always be more important. first, in fact.

But nobody needs to rehome their pets to prove that the kids come first? You can love your kids AND care for your pets.

My sister lives on a farm and cleans out a variety of animals and had 4 healthy children. I'm sure rabbits are no worse! Makes me sad to see so many rabbits put up for re-homing on gumtree because of pregnancy. Hope your gran lets up!

I never actually even thought of asking my midwife about the 4 buns and now 5 guineas i lost one of my older girlies a few weeks ago.
She did mention cat litter but our cat goes out so isnt a prob, I dont use gloves when cleaning them but i usually give my hands a good scrub midway through cleaning them and take a 10 min break to rest my back it hurts lol, and scrub my hands twice with antibacterial soap when im done and obviously keep my hands away from my mouth and face while cleaning.

Im about 31 weeks now and they dont seem to have caused any problem and i figure its to late to start worrying now :lol:
I had a rabbit cat and dog when i was pregnant with my little boy 6 and a half years ago :roll:( i must be mad what was i thinking starting again) and we never had any problems then so im not worried this time.

I wouldnt get rid of any of my pets especially the cat theirs loads on gum tree at the mo cause if pregnancy i had to clean cat litter tray out last time when he had to stay in 4 a week or two for some illness or a wound to heal i cant remember but i wore gloves and washed my hands and all was fine i just think you have to carefull.

I dont think theirs a need to get rid of your pets to focus time on a new baby infact i found it easier then they sleep soo much, i made sure harry cat was out the room with the baby in so he didnt sneak in to the moses basket took the moniter and went to sort the bun and it gave me some relax time out side to. It got harder as he got older but i juggeled rabbits and other pets care between naps or rapped him up put him in pushchair with a toy and sat him out we me in the garden i think he like seeing the buns run round.

I agree that my family has to come 1st, but unless i was being evicted and had to move immediatly i would not get rid of any of my pets cause i still love my animals to. We need a three bed house but passed up loads because their fine with the rabbits and guineas but wont take the dog and cat or they want another £300 plus on top of the deposit and 1st months rent becuse my cat might spay and the dog might wee!!! How stupid the cat has been snipped and hasnt sprayed in 14 years and the dogs been house broken for the last 4 years and is also spayed so doesnt come into season! We have even said if their concerned they can come see how clean and nice our house is kept even with pets and said they can come once a month to check were keeping their house in a condition their happy with but no! So we will keep looking till the right house and more importantly a pet friendly landlord comes along!!!! Cause our furry friends are comming with us :D

mmm.

to me, children will always be more important. first, in fact.

I'm not saying children shouldn't come first :?

I'm saying pets shouldn't suffer for their owners life choices. A pet that would harm a child is a completely different story, a very snappy dog, or if someone had a venomous snake, or tarantula or something, I would not be sure I'd want them in the same house as a small child, purely for the child's safety.

But to hand 2 guinea pigs into rescue because you get pregnant??? To me that is despicable! (and to me that goes for friendly dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, horses, ect ect)

You can have kids AND pets.:thumb:

but if you don't want to, why not change your arrangements? if you have animals and then are pregnant, you might well want an animal free home to bring your little one into. some people don't mind - fine, but those who want to be animal-free shouldn't be castigated for it. its silly. i wouldn't make you continue to live with a partner if your circumstances changed and he no longer had a place in your life!

That is very true, but before we had our daughter we spoke with the vet about how best to manage the pets as well and keep Katie safe. He very rightly suggested that we make any necessary changes like no longer able to get up on the furniture, before Katie arrived, so that then the dogs would not associate any changes they didn't like with Katie, and be anti her. Also we were told until Katie started school to worm the dogs 3 monthly instead of 6 monthly, which again was good advice. I believe it is better for children to be brought up with pets, and I understand people think they will bring terrible diseases, germs into the house, but human visitors are more likely to do that. I really do think that some exposure to things like dogs etc actually gets their immune system working more effectively, and they can often be healthier children. My daughter was born end of October and through her first winter months, would be parked outside my horses stable while I saw to her. As long as she was warm, I think fresh air is much better for babies than just being in centrally heated houses, but lots of mums keep their babies indoors too much and don't expose them to things, and yet often it is those babies that go on to be quite sickly children. I felt so sorry for my best friend Marie, because we had our daughters 3 weeks apart, and I just made necessary changes etc, but still carried on as normal, and Marie rehomed the dog and cat, cleaned non-stop and lived in an almost sterile environment, and Emily was a nightmare. Always unwell, intolerences to this that and the other, every time she was taken out in the car, the car would then have to be cleaned thoroughly inside before she could go back in it. It was awful and totally drained Marie, and just proved that keeping your baby in a almost sterile environment, by no means ensures your baby will be healthier, and often because they are so protected and have no exposure to germs, they don't tend to build up such a good resistance. Katie never crawled but walked properly from a fairly early age, because she had the benefit of holding onto Sophie's tail, who would happily walk her around the house in exchange for Katie's banana custard!! What concerns me more with parents taking such drastic action to supposedly protect their child by rehoming pets etc, is they often seem to have very unrealistic fears, and go on to be overly protective, smothering even, and cope very badly when children start school, start to become more independant that kind of thing, and in general grow up which of course is exactly what they are going to do, and their fears can then be transmitted to their child, making the child overly anxious etc. I no of course this is not applicable to everyone, but is what I have seen for myself, and so tend to base my thoughts on personal experience. Being a parent is a massive responsibility and I don't understand why people would want to make it so much harder, by being so irrational.

but if you don't want to, why not change your arrangements? if you have animals and then are pregnant, you might well want an animal free home to bring your little one into. some people don't mind - fine, but those who want to be animal-free shouldn't be castigated for it. its silly. i wouldn't make you continue to live with a partner if your circumstances changed and he no longer had a place in your life!

But a partner isn't your responsibility. They can look after themselves (well, most can!).

When taking on an animal that lives for 10-20 years, surely you think about what will happen in the next 10-20 years?

If you don't want kids and pets, then that's fine, but don't take on a pet that will be around when you have kids and expect someone else to pick up the pieces.

My aunt had a baby but she still kept her pets.

I never considored getting rid of Marnie and Blue.

you should avoid sheep and goats though if I remember rightly...

During my first pregnancy I was cleaning out and caring for 7 bunnies and never came to any harm. I stayed away from cats though. My son is growing up in a bunny household where he interacts daily with them. He is only two but can already feed them and knows how to stroke them gently. He is so sweet and empathetic and kind and I think having pets has definitely helped. If you love your buns, keep them. Two bunnies will hardly impose upon the time you have with your baby. Try twelve bunnies and two kids that is a real challenge :lol:

I never considored getting rid of Marnie and Blue.

you should avoid sheep and goats though if I remember rightly...

I think they just have to be wormed regularly, which they should be anyways because they are prone to worms which can then make them ill. I'm on a forum with lots of goat/sheep owners and I've never heard of the pregnant/young baby ones avoiding their goats/sheep :)

But I consider pets as children. You have a child and you take that responsibility on knowing you have to be there for them the whole time you are alive. The same with pets you take them on knowing their expected lifespan and that they will need you for their whole life. If you cannot commit to that you shouldn't get a pet in the first place. My daughter has grown up with cats/bunnies/hamsters/gpigs/gerbils/mice and has shared me with my bunnies knowing how much I love them but that I love her too and it's done her no harm. A partner is completely different to a pet you don't take on a partner thinking right this a commitment and I have to look after this person for the rest of their life! They are an adult and if things don't work out you go your separate ways! Pets are not commodities that you can just get rid of when you choose to and if you think that way you should not have pets at all as this is the reason there are so many animals in sanctuaries.

I agree with your point that people should be able to bring kids up in an animal free home if they wish, simple solution, if you feel like this don't get animals! If you do get animals you commit to look after them as long as they live, not give them up when a baby comes along. It's not like anyone is forced to have animals or babies...

I'm not getting rid of them, no way!!! I just wanted to know if thete was any special precautions to take!

I took them on and they are my responsibilty, just don't want anyone thinking I was even considerin it

But I consider pets as children. You have a child and you take that responsibility on knowing you have to be there for them the whole time you are alive. The same with pets you take them on knowing their expected lifespan and that they will need you for their whole life. If you cannot commit to that you shouldn't get a pet in the first place. My daughter has grown up with cats/bunnies/hamsters/gpigs/gerbils/mice and has shared me with my bunnies knowing how much I love them but that I love her too and it's done her no harm. A partner is completely different to a pet you don't take on a partner thinking right this a commitment and I have to look after this person for the rest of their life! They are an adult and if things don't work out you go your separate ways! Pets are not commodities that you can just get rid of when you choose to and if you think that way you should not have pets at all as this is the reason there are so many animals in sanctuaries.

:thumb:

Back