• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a problem

The colour of hay is quite variable, especially at this time of year. It tends to go slightly browner at the end of the season, and it depends on the grass types and drying process as well. Green, brown and yellower hay are all normal. Hay that has been chopped into short pieces (like some of the big store branded packs) tends to look browner as well. As long as it's been stored properly and smells OK, it will be fine.

Fresh grass can't be stored more than (say) overnight. It starts to ferment pretty much as soon as it's picked. Washing it before storage will only speed up the process.

Sorry to hear you lost your babies. I can't pretend to know whether it was hay or something else, but you cannot remove hay from your remaining rabbits' diets. You will end up causing them no end of physical problems which will become costly for you and unfair on them. I buy from timothyhay.co.uk and have also bought from hoptoforage as well, I would recommend either. The timothyhay stuff is really good quality (my vets have even commented on how good it is when I've sent some in with my bunnies when they've needed to go in), it comes in a cardboard box so no plastic. I keep mine in a cupboard and have never had any issues with it. It also arrives really quickly, I ordered some on Saturday last week and it arrived on Monday. I'd also second any equestrian shops if you have any nearby, only problem is the bales are HUGE!

Unless you have access to a garden, it will be really difficult to supplement your rabbits' diet solely with grass. You don't know what's been put on it chemical-wise or if other rabbits may have had access to it and that could introduce risk of disease. Grass also starts to ferment very quickly so you'd have to feed it straight away or risk GI problems.

I'm sorry that you've had this traumatising experience but please don't let it put you off doing the right thing for your remaining rabbits.

I'm going to order some of that hay in a bit. I think I'll go with Timothy Hay that looks the safest I'm super OCD about hay right now. The hay bites look pretty cool too. I bought some hay from a pet shop today because I had to throw all the other hay away but once I get my online hay delivery, I wont be using the pet shop hay just to be safe. I gave my bunnies a small handful of hay I don't want to feed them too much of it until I get my deliveries. Its just to tie them over for the next few days while I'm waiting. I'll give them a few handfuls a day.

The rabbits we kept when I was a child were never fed hay but given lots of straw for bedding, which they ate. Not a case of neglect but more just what happened at the time. I guess this was okay as they all lived long lives

I understand that clear urine in rabbits is healthy but what if a rabbit pees out clear urine all the time?

Could it mean kidney problems?

I know that dehydration might have something to do with it because I also get dehydrated in my flat so I know it must be affecting the bunnies too. My central heating is currently off because it gets too warm. I've been getting kidney pains and the rabbits are showing signs of tiredness, I'm also feeling tired and exhausted. My bunnies pee clear water. Something doesn't feel right and I'm trying to join up the dots because it all just seems a bit of a coincidence.

I understand that clear urine in rabbits is healthy but what if a rabbit pees out clear urine all the time?

Could it mean kidney problems?

I know that dehydration might have something to do with it because I also get dehydrated in my flat so I know it must be affecting the bunnies too. My central heating is currently off because it gets too warm. I've been getting kidney pains and the rabbits are showing signs of tiredness, I'm also feeling tired and exhausted. My bunnies pee clear water. Something doesn't feel right and I'm trying to join up the dots because it all just seems a bit of a coincidence.
Why don't you get medical help for yourself and your rabbits? It's the only way really, people online can't diagnose what's going on sadly.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Why don't you get medical help for yourself and your rabbits? It's the only way really, people online can't diagnose what's going on sadly.

I agree. Clear urine doesn’t indicate dehydration, when dehydrated urine is very dark and small in quantity.

It sounds like you really need a vet trip with everything that has happened.

No [emoji51]

So what causes clear urine?

People keep saying its normal then its not normal.

This what google says so I'll just leave it as that.

What does clear bunny Pee mean?
Colorless: If your rabbit is very well hydrated and healthy, it may have urine that is colorless or clear. This is completely normal. Yellow: This is a normal urine color. Amber/Orange: This is a normal urine color, but if your rabbit isn't drinking as much as it should, this may be why it is darker than usual color.

Last edited:
So what causes clear urine?

People keep saying its normal then its not normal. I'm just going to assume its kidney failure or liver failure. I need to know more rather than being told to goto a vet.

The only way to find out if your Rabbits have renal problems is for a Vet to run diagnostics-ie urine and blood test. The colour of the urine cannot be used as a stand alone diagnostic. Clear urine might just mean the Rabbit is very well hydrated, or it might mean a filtration problem with the kidneys. Without diagnostics it’s impossible to say.All we can do is advise you how to obtain the information you are seeking and this is to go to a Vet. Passing clear urine *might* indicate a renal problem, it might not.

How ever many times you ask us we really can’t say any more than that. Sorry

The only way to find out if your Rabbits have renal problems is for a Vet to run diagnostics-ie urine and blood test. The colour of the urine cannot be used as a stand alone diagnostic. Clear urine might just mean the Rabbit is very well hydrated, or it might mean a filtration problem with the kidneys. Without diagnostics it’s impossible to say.All we can do is advise you how to obtain the information you are seeking and this is to go to a Vet. Passing clear urine *might* indicate a renal problem, it might not.

How ever many times you ask us we really can’t say any more than that. Sorry

Thanks for the info it gives me a better understanding of things.... I know that only a vet can diagnose a bunny correctly but I just wanted to get a better idea of what to expect. As I feel there is something wrong and all rabbits are not very active although appear to be fully responsive they are not wanting to run about. They just want to eat and sleep and one keeps doing clear urine so I'm going to assume the worse that its a filtration issue with the kidneys and they could all have it. It might be that when I get them to the vet they might say they haven't got long to live if there kidneys are failing in which case I need to know what is causing this whether it was from the contaminated hay that killed the babies or something else like a disease that causes kidney problems or maybe poisonous gasses or something in the water supply. Its all very well getting a diagnosis from a vet but I need to find out what could be causing it as prevention is better than cure. I've also lost some birds recently too. I have also been getting kidney pains myself so something is going on.

Last edited:
Its kidney failure, Lacey and Lucky are both peeing water and drinking lots. I'm gonna have to prepare myself for the worse when the vet confirms it.

It sounds similar to last time when one of them was passing lots of urine.
I hope you are getting veterinary advice and appropriate treatment. You need a proper (ie professional) diagnosis in order to work out what to do next.

It could be a UTI I'm going to buy a microscope soon. I can then check the rabbits stools for any parasites. I will get them to a vet tomorrow and they'll probably need antibiotics if it is a UTI but if there kidneys are failing it might show on an xray. They'll probably do a blood test but there isn't really time to wait for test results.

Back